Custom Map: Nice Job 6: The Travel Agent

Started by AutoPost, May 04, 2010, 10:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 6: The Travel Agent

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
You start with plenty of space to build your initial economy. After that you'll have to cross some tough mountain ranges to reach your goal. Can be played laid back, unless you go for the highscore.

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 6: The Travel Agent
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
You start with plenty of space to build your initial economy. After that you'll have to cross some tough mountain ranges to reach your goal. Can be played laid back, unless you go for the highscore.
Description:
As tourism is a growing business in Russia, you started your own travel agency in Moscow.

Today you have a booking from a wealthy customer who likes to visit the following places:
- The geysers of Iceland
- The green hills of Ireland
- The soukhs of Morocco
- The northern lights of Norway
- The tundra's of Siberia
- The mob scene of Sicily
- The beaches of Cyprus
- The old civilizations of Mesopotamia (once between Iran and Iraq)

Please do a nice job and plan this trip efficiently. You can ask the branch offices in Berlin, London, Madrid, Rome, Athens and Istanbul for help if you need to.
Download page:
Nice Job 6: The Travel Agent
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Sqaz

Damn, 5 seconds too late to beat your score.

One of the best maps I ever played, and the best of your NJ series, it was really challenging, and even when you had enough energy it was still hard.
Be careful you can get the reactor tech earlier by bridging, or is this on purpose? But nevertheless it was great fun.

Edit: This might have nothing to do with the gameplay and probably noone cares, but it would make more sense if the techs were situated in cities, like with the branches in Rome, Athens... and such that give you upgrades.

UpperKEES

Heheh! Yeah, that's pretty close.... ;D

The best of the series till now? Thanks, I'll take that into consideration when creating new ones.

Yep, I like to make a map hard without using high intensity emitters. Instead I rather try to make the terrain interesting (although you might see an exception to that rule in the future). This is also why I was eager to know what the exact conditions are to cap an emitter. I'm still not sure to be honest, but I guess Virgil won't reveal all CW secrets....

And no, I didn't even think of bridging to that tech! :-\ I almost feel like playing the map again right now, as I'm sure I could shave off about 2 minutes because of all the energy that would have saved me. Great tip for other players I guess!

Edit (response to your edit): well, the speed tech is located in Paris (actually 1 block below, as I wanted to force the player to cross the Belgium/Luxembourg barrier, instead of getting it from Germany) and why do you think the reactors are in Iran? ;) The relay and drone techs had to be hard to reach, while the mortar and storage techs were planned to become available early game. Sometimes replacing them a few blocks more to the left or right can make a huge difference (and make it too easy), but you're right: all located in/as cities would have been perfect.

RichieRich

Great map thanks.

You said the plumber was the hardest map you would do but it was only briefly hard while you worked out your position wheras this was hard the whole way through. ;).

Could do much better - pushed forward without building enough power. Boy that speed took a while.

V nice terrain and liked the uncappable emitters.

Now, if only I could get the athlete done... ;D

UpperKEES

Thanks. :) To be honest I don't like uncappable emitters that much myself, so I made them very weak (only 0.1 or 0.2 intensity), just to keep you busy for a short while (and have you spend some energy). This way I figured they would serve their purpose without being too annoying.

Spoiler
You should be able to advance into Germany without any resistance. If you build a collector at the Belgium border and drop 3-4 blasters into France you should be able to obtain the speed tech without too much problems.
[close]

If you like to get some more hints on The Athlete, please let me know where you get stuck in the related topic.

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 04, 2010, 02:37:24 PM
Well, the speed tech is located in Paris (actually 1 block below, as I wanted to force the player to cross the Belgium/Luxembourg barrier, instead of getting it from Germany) and why do you think the reactors are in Iran? ;) The relay and drone techs had to be hard to reach, while the mortar and storage techs were planned to become available early game. Sometimes replacing them a few blocks more to the left or right can make a huge difference (and make it too easy), but you're right: all located in/as cities would have been perfect.

Never let the truth interfere with a good map, but the reactors are placed well ;D

Vexsin

going to have to replay this later when I am more focused and fix my awful score

Miss Melissa

;D   I liked this map.
Finally! A challenging map where you don't need to bridge anything.

UpperKEES

Now this is what I love! Getting outplayed by two ladies in an RTS game on one of my own maps! ;D And not just by a couple of seconds....  :o

Quote from: Vexsin on May 05, 2010, 11:31:54 AM
going to have to replay this later when I am more focused and fix my awful score

You'll understand that this is exactly what I'm going to do myself right now. ;)

Quote from: Sqaz on May 05, 2010, 10:49:45 AM
Never let the truth interfere with a good map, but the reactors are placed well ;D

Nah, gameplay is the most important thing when it comes to CW and I won't sacrifice that.

Quote from: Miss Melissa on May 06, 2010, 05:43:12 AM
;D   I liked this map.
Finally! A challenging map where you don't need to bridge anything.

Thanks. :) Just a note to others: you'll never have to bridge on one of my maps, even when rated 'Expert Only'. I prefer other ways to make a map hard (although I use bridging myself when it is convenient and I have the patience).

DethbyIT

Another great map, but I haven't been able to get past the first few minutes.
I read your 'German' comment as a hint to try to take out that emitter first, but no joy.

Have you considered (on older maps, for newer players) having a "Hint" thread going?
It wouldn't be any fun to have any give-aways, but survival would be nice.

Thanks again for all the work you do, so people like me can have some fun.

dbit

[Edit]
Survived!
Great fun.

UpperKEES

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 29, 2010, 11:48:38 AM
Another great map, but I haven't been able to get past the first few minutes.
I read your 'German' comment as a hint to try to take out that emitter first, but no joy.

Have you considered (on older maps, for newer players) having a "Hint" thread going?
It wouldn't be any fun to have any give-aways, but survival would be nice.

Sure, people can always ask for hints in the comments. :)

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 29, 2010, 11:48:38 AM
Thanks again for all the work you do, so people like me can have some fun.

dbit

[Edit]
Survived!
Great fun.

Thanks (twice), I'm glad you like 'em!

RockyRaccoon

:D Finally!  Last post is from 3 years ago but I finally finished this bugger!

Thanks UpperKEES.  I sincerely hope we see maps for CW3 from you more in line with CW1 than CW2! You have made this game sooo much more than the original game for me.

Grauniad

UpperKEES came, saw and left. It is anyone's guess whether the more liberal play structure of CW3 will appeal to him.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kingo

With the massively expanded toolbox map devs get to play with, I would be surprised if no one liked it.
Of course, everyone has their opinions.