Ability to Capture Units

Started by SmileyCoder, December 14, 2011, 03:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmileyCoder

I was thinking it might add something to custom maps, if you could make "neutal/deactivated" units(Blaster/maker/Launcher) that can be captured in the same way that tech is captured. The amount required to cap a unit would be a setting that you could specify in the map editor, in the same its set for techs and resources.

Once a unit is captured/powered up it reverts allegiance to you. This would mean you can create maps in which you have a limited amount of units and have to take care of, while still allowing the player to gather up units as he moves through the map.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Grauniad

Interesting. I recently made a suggestion to Virgil that he considers a "tech" that allows building x units.  Your suggestion can, I think, be accomplished by entombing units in terrain and the player has to dig through to them to power them up.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

SmileyCoder

The ability to change the max build amont DURING a game, possibly by gathering tech is quite interesting as well (at least thats how I understand your post)
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Kithros

There's almost a decent way to improvise something along these lines - however, it only works as long as you are not able to put a unit of the same type close enough to multi-select the other units.

If you place a crystal in the editor, and then place a unit on the same space (the crystal must have been placed first), you won't be able to select the unit in game until you've picked up the crystal, except for the case where you double click a unit of the same type nearby to multi-select it. This can also allow you to effectively change the build limits mid-game (again, as long as you can't multi-select the units) since you won't be able to select the units to destroy them.

Another similar thing that can be done purely for the purposes of rescuing the units is having the units trapped in undiggable terrain with only one space of ore that can be reached with an arbitrary amount of ore, and have a crystal in front of the ore block - you won't be able to build an ore rig until you pick up the crystal, so you can change the cost of picking up the crystal to effect the cost/time of rescuing the units.