System Requirements

Started by Nephthys, October 21, 2013, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

No idea, Blaze, but start here and proceed at your own risk.

Norton Uninstall Tool.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

teknotiss

Quote from: Grauniad on October 23, 2013, 06:20:10 AM
I'm sorry about your water heater... house owners always have some sort of unexpected expenditure on a monthly basis.

If you trace the issues to scheduled runs of McAfee, then definitely at least try out Microsoft Security Essentials. Made sure to check McAfee website if they have a deep uninstaller. Many of these AV programs leave little bits when simply uninstalled via the normal uninstall process - Norton was notorious for that.

house expenses are ruled by the "at the worst possible moment" law of the universe, i've experienced it too.
i'd advocate trying Zonealarm free but i'm sure G's recommendation is just as good, they are both available free to use (zonealarm will ask you to buy pro occasionally, but if you're just websurfing etc you won't need pro), McAfee tie in with service providers because they want "locked" in customers, i doubt that you are required to have it, and since the others are free you can try them and go back to McA if you don't like them.

Quote from: Grauniad on October 23, 2013, 11:08:29 AM
No idea, Blaze, but start here and proceed at your own risk.

Norton Uninstall Tool.

you'll need that tool blaze, i've used it often, but i'd only DL it from Norton themselves, G has saved you a websearch there
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Nephthys

So if I want to switch AVs, I need to do it in Safe Mode, right? I can't remember how to get there. I know you have to be quick while the system is booting up. Is it F3? F1? I'd have to have MSE already downloaded, but would it have to be on a disc? Or does that driver not come up in Safe Mode? Only 10 questions in one post.  :)

EDIT: Thx for the water heater sympathy! It'll probably be this wkend b4 my nephew can get to it. Assuming I can borrow some bucks from my sister. (In addition to her shower!). Yeah, home ownership can bite you at the worst times!

teknotiss

safe mode isn't really required. the duration you are unprotected is minimal, you'll only be DL'ing the new AV itself from a trusted source (the vendors site or their recommendation, or a trusted wares site) and your Firewall protects you from intrusive attacks (you do have a firewall, yes?)
steps i take are.
1 DL the new AV installer,
2 DL any removal ware that is required,
3 quit all other applications
4 run old AV uninstaller or use add remove etc,
5 run any removal ware (if needed),
6 run new AV installer,
update (if needed) and run a deep/full scan, then restart. some want a restart first then a scan.
depending on which one your going for i can help with AVG (sorry i typed Zonealarm in the prev post and meant to type AVG, oops blending wares in my head), or if it's MSE i  think G uses or has used that one.
also alot of the AV's are becoming firewalls too, i still use AVG for AV and ZA for a firewall, not sure i want to put all the security in one program yet, but it is less efficient to run both. if you are a low risk user you may want to run a combined AV/firewall ware to save resources.
a low risk user is someone who doesn't DL anything from a torrent, or any untrusted websites, or open attachments from untrusted emailers, or visit adult websites, or go skipping randomly around the web clicking links posted by (not necessarily trustworthy/sensible) friends on social media etc.

anymore Q's just ask dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

thepenguin

Quote from: Nephthys on October 23, 2013, 05:20:42 PM
So if I want to switch AVs, I need to do it in Safe Mode, right? I can't remember how to get there. I know you have to be quick while the system is booting up. Is it F3? F1? I'd have to have MSE already downloaded, but would it have to be on a disc? Or does that driver not come up in Safe Mode? Only 10 questions in one post.  :)
Or just disconnect the ethernet cable during the time you are unprotected (or disconnect from wifi), if you want a simpler solution than all of that.  The best part is that unplugging is more or less foolproof when it comes to viruses.
We have become the creeper...

weekendgamer

Quote from: Nephthys on October 21, 2013, 04:41:34 PM
You are much too kind.

Ok, you will ROFL, but my system is ancient. Bought in 2005. (not a typo).

. . .

The gig I ordered was $25. You're right. The thought crossed my mind that I should save it toward a new system. Too late.  :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256303  Here is the system I was looking at. You're right again. It is business oriented I think. Also, Windows 7, not 8.

Your system is very similar to my old one, but mine ran the CW series rather well. Your hardware doesn't seem to be the problem, so I also recommend CCleaner. Try defragging, AV scanning your system, shutting off programs that might interfere with disk read/write, or just general spring cleaning. You know, deleting the files that you don't need anymore.
Sorry for the late replies.

teknotiss

Quote from: thepenguin on October 23, 2013, 08:11:23 PM
So if I want to switch AVs, I need to do it in Safe Mode, right? I can't remember how to get there. I know you have to be quick while the system is booting up. Is it F3? F1? I'd have to have MSE already downloaded, but would it have to be on a disc? Or does that driver not come up in Safe Mode? Only 10 questions in one post.  :)
Or just disconnect the ethernet cable during the time you are unprotected (or disconnect from wifi), if you want a simpler solution than all of that.  The best part is that unplugging is more or less foolproof when it comes to viruses.

hard to DL an new AV when you aren't connected, most installer require web access  ::)

thepenguin

Quote from: teknotiss on October 24, 2013, 03:40:30 AM

hard to DL an new AV when you aren't connected, most installer require web access  ::)
download, then disconnect?
We have become the creeper...

teknotiss

Quote from: thepenguin on October 24, 2013, 05:40:52 AM
Quote from: teknotiss on October 24, 2013, 03:40:30 AM

download, then disconnect?

i was saying most AV installers now require a web connection while setting up.
i'm unaware of any AV's that can be totally DL'd before install. if you know some that can be perhaps you could tell us which one you have done that with?
also with no vector for a virus while only DL'ing AV software through an AV setup there isn't a risk.
as i said if you are running a firewall it will protect you from brute force hacks and if you aren't DL'ing anything other than the AV then you are basically safe.

Grauniad

EDIT: Thx for the water heater sympathy! It'll probably be this wkend b4 my nephew can get to it. Assuming I can borrow some bucks from my sister. (In addition to her shower!). Yeah, home ownership can bite you at the worst times!

I was out of pocket for a while.

My recommended steps would be.

Do a normal, clean boot.

McAfee has a removal tool launch page here. http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331  Be very careful not to click a link that is not McAfee., for instance, the second link on Google goes to a site named mcafee-removal-tool - that's not a legit McAfee site.

Use that page to fully remove McAfee.

Reboot again.

Go to this page to download Microsoft Security Essentials. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201 Again, make sure it is a legit microsoft.com site and not something that masquerades as a Microsoft site.

Follow the instructions on that page.

You should be done.

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Nephthys

Awesome, awesome. Thanks as always for the good advice & help.

I do have a firewall, but it is McAfee's. The last time I re-installed, my bank account got hit the very next day by someone in CT trying to spend over $400.00 on books for college. Luckily, BOA took care of it asap & refunded my $$. I did have to open a new checking account, though.

I consider myself a very safe user!  :)  But I use my Visa Debit quite a bit online to pay bills & make the occasional purchase. Visa covers unauthorized purchases and responded quickly the last (& only )time I had a problem so I don't worry about using my debit card online.

So, I guess I could activate Windows Firewall while I follow G's directions.

Thanks to all!

Also, the new gig of memory arrived. Since there is no new system in my near future, refurbished or otherwise, I went ahead & popped it in. So far, no freezes! Could be a coincidence though, because I've played for hours before w/out locking up. I've been making sure McA is updated before I start playing & I think that has helped a lot.

teknotiss

Quote from: Nephthys on October 26, 2013, 05:32:19 PM
Awesome, awesome. Thanks as always for the good advice & help.

I do have a firewall, but it is McAfee's. The last time I re-installed, my bank account got hit the very next day by someone in CT trying to spend over $400.00 on books for college. Luckily, BOA took care of it asap & refunded my $$. I did have to open a new checking account, though.

I consider myself a very safe user!  :)  But I use my Visa Debit quite a bit online to pay bills & make the occasional purchase. Visa covers unauthorized purchases and responded quickly the last (& only )time I had a problem so I don't worry about using my debit card online.

So, I guess I could activate Windows Firewall while I follow G's directions.

Thanks to all!

Also, the new gig of memory arrived. Since there is no new system in my near future, refurbished or otherwise, I went ahead & popped it in. So far, no freezes! Could be a coincidence though, because I've played for hours before w/out locking up. I've been making sure McA is updated before I start playing & I think that has helped a lot.

so it prob is McA hogging resources, prob worth giving another one a go anyway. make a system restore point first though, i left that out of my prev instructions, oops ::)
have fun playing dude!