Projected system Requirements

Started by JF-T, September 01, 2013, 06:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF-T

For those of us that are eager to play Creeper World 3, some of us, (maybe not many) might not think their computers are up to snuff enough to play it.
I'm talking computers whose cards don't even have hardware T&L.

Basically, what might the minimum or recommended requirements be? I'm thinknig possibly a full thing with ram video memory, OS, sound card, cpu, basically all the essentials and framework :)
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

Grauniad

Virgil did build a low-end system to test, but T&L is ..well, in most cards for the last 6+ years or so. I've no idea what the Unity engine will do if it does not encounter it. Basically, everything after the GeForce- or Radeon7500-line of cards has hardware T&L, with the notable exception of the early Intel Graphics cards.

You can buy a card that will swing it for probably no more than $15 at Newegg.

Best thing to do is to post your complete system specs here. Download Piriform Speccy and post what that report for your system.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

I just found this very interesting statistics page from Unity. http://stats.unity3d.com/web/

Notable is how developers seem to have much better hardware/software than the players they build for. :)

Kingo

Quote from: Grauniad on September 01, 2013, 08:43:00 PM
I just found this very interesting statistics page from Unity. http://stats.unity3d.com/web/

Notable is how developers seem to have much better hardware/software than the players they build for. :)

Well, they are developers; of course they need good hardware, it's their tools of trade!
I cannot believe there are people with ~1GB of total memory. Don't computers have much higher built-in hard drives?

CW3 definitly looks more CPU-intensive with its advanced graphics and the additions to the CW engine, so I ASSUME (to graunidad asking me how I know :P ) the requirements might be higher then CW1 or CW2.

Grauniad

There are a number of factors at play here. The Unity3D engine is *much* more efficient that Flash- or AIR-based engines. In addition Unity#d can use a graphics card which Neither Flash nor AIR could do. However, Virgil did use some of the savings in CPU cycles to render creeper more often, and the improvements in graphics to do a few other things to add lots of eye-candy to the game.

Then there is the consideration that maps became much, much larger.  I'd think that on a 1-1 comparison (same map size) a CW3 map would be much less CPU-intensive to run than a CW1 map.

Ronini

Quote from: Grauniad on September 02, 2013, 02:14:26 PM
I'd think that on a 1-1 comparison (same map size) a CW3 map would be much less CPU-intensive to run than a CW3 map.

I think you'll want to look at that one again.

Quote from: Kingo on September 02, 2013, 01:33:41 PM
I cannot believe there are people with ~1GB of total memory. Don't computers have much higher built-in hard drives?

Memory (i.e. RAM) and hard-drive (storage) are two entirely different things. And yes there are people out there with computers that are 4-6 years old (when 1GB of memory maybe wasn't top of the line, but not too shabby either) or people that for various reasons use netbooks that very rarely exceed 1GB (at least until recently).

Grauniad

Quote from: Ronini on September 02, 2013, 02:50:56 PM
I'd think that on a 1-1 comparison (same map size) a CW3 map would be much less CPU-intensive to run than a CW3 map.

Unless you have evidence to the contrary, I think I'm happy with my assertion.

lich98

Quote from: Grauniad on September 02, 2013, 02:53:14 PM

I can say for a CW3 map on average size runs at full frames per second on my new Laptop. CPU: 1.9GHz 4GBs Ram and the Intel graphics card. The large maps lagg the crap out of the system but most maps don't.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Ronini

Quote from: Grauniad on September 02, 2013, 02:53:14 PM

See underlinings. How can the same be different?

Grauniad

Quote from: Ronini on September 02, 2013, 03:51:09 PM
See underlinings. How can the same be different?

You busting my chops for a typo? :) Fixed.

Ronini

Thank you. Could have easily been the other way round, so clarification is very appreciated.

JF-T

WEll here's my specs, mind you selkirk college had this computer before me and donated it as they had upgraded and had alot of old computers to deal with.

Operating System
   Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
   Intel Pentium 4 520
   Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
   512MB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 199MHz (3-3-3-8)
Motherboard
   Dell Inc. 0K5146 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
   Acer A181HV (1024x768@75Hz)
   Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Dell)
   Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Dell)
Hard Drives
   37.3GB Seagate ST340014AS (SATA)   51 °C
Optical Drives
   TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182F
   DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
   SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Ofcourse it runs CW2 and 1 without a problem, but I imagine I'd need to upgrade eh? Trying my hardest to do that anyways, but you know... with something this old, I might aswell jsut get a new computer. That's what everyone in my life tells me atleast xD
The only problem I've ever had with Unity, is nothing save for my inability to play Dead Frontier 3D which updated to the Unity 3D engine awhile back. Only problem was it can't do opengl.
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

Grauniad

Do you actually have a CRT display device?

Edit: No amount of looking lets me into the capabilities of a 10-year old computer and integrated graphics. All I can say Is that I wish you the best of luck. :)

koker93

I have a laptop that is a few years old, and designed for office use.  Its is not a gaming rig.  I am a beta tester and have no issues playing CW3.  I would say to wait for release and play the game before going out and spending money to upgrade your system.

Batstar

Fortunately anymore if you want a Decent gaming rig you can build them for VERY cheap. We're talking like 5-6hundred dollars for a good gaming rig. With the release of AMD's new APU's you can get a Processor and what amounts to a nearly full powered GPU on the same chip for pennies compared to what it used to cost. If you want some builds or whatnot let me know and I'll link you some stuff.