Weekly 5-map history theme tournament - overview, rules & rankings

Started by UpperKEES, September 06, 2010, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: thepenguin on October 05, 2010, 05:40:00 PM
the number four will pick the theme + maps

I agree, only there might be one change in it, I don't object to yours; just use whichever one you think is better

Nope, I prefer mine. First of all I think you should at least be in the top 3 to be able to pick a theme. Secondly in that case the number 1 already didn't pick the theme for 2 consecutive weeks. And don't forget: when the number 1 is the same, but the number 2 or number 3 are different it could be that the number 1 doesn't pick a theme for months!

Quote from: L'ythelle on October 05, 2010, 05:58:29 PM
If we use this rule in 6 weeks it will be my turn. I better get thinking!  :-\

With TP's proposal the number 6 would only be able to pick a theme when the top 6 would be exactly the same for 6 consecutive weeks. This chance is so small that the rule doesn't make sense.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

thepenguin

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 06, 2010, 05:05:10 AM
With TP's proposal the number 6 would only be able to pick a theme when the top 6 would be exactly the same for 6 consecutive weeks. This chance is so small that the rule doesn't make sense.

I guess that wouldn't make much sense  :D
We have become the creeper...

L'ythelle

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 06, 2010, 05:05:10 AM
Quote from: L'ythelle on October 05, 2010, 05:58:29 PM
If we use this rule in 6 weeks it will be my turn. I better get thinking!  :-\

It was a joke Kees.  :P

UpperKEES

Quote from: L'ythelle on October 08, 2010, 07:07:23 PM
It was a joke Kees.  :P

I know and I used it to show TP's proposal wasn't that sensible. ;)

UpperKEES

After his second place in the math/physics/astronomy scientists tournament (see here), ctuna has chosen the theme for next weeks tournament: Notable Fighter Aces of the World.

crazyone76

your all forgetting something creeper world events like updates map editor chronom etc
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UpperKEES

You mean you suggest CW release dates as a theme? That's indeed possible, so I'll add it to the list.

UpperKEES

After his third place in the Fighter Aces tournament (see here), Fisherck has chosen the theme for next weeks tournament: World Records for Running Events.

And could a moderator maybe sticky this overview topic? Thanks in advance! :)

Fisherck

One theme I thought about using was the records for the toplist. There are five records (5 maps), but not all of them can be easily changed into a date. If someone could figure out how to do it, it might make a good theme. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

L'ythelle

How about the date the map was accepted? For Spiff, you could use the date of his first map.

UpperKEES

Barbses

UpperKEES

Nice one as well! Added. (One of these appearances can be observed in one of my custom maps! ;))

UpperKEES

From chat today:

Quote(16:21:54) Grauniad: famous computer scientists?
(16:22:37) Grauniad: Babbage, Turin, Backus, Wirth and I'll think of anohter he's on the tip of my tongge
(16:22:55) Grauniad: *Knuth*
(16:24:34) Grauniad: 5 famous game devs: Sid Meier, whoever did DOOM, Mario, ??
(16:25:04) Grauniad: need more game devs: Pong developer, Asteroids developer
(16:25:18) Grauniad: 5 famous Sci-Fi authors
(16:25:40) Echo51: 5 famous C64 music composers
(16:27:20) Grauniad: 5 medical science breakthroughs: Penicillin, X-Rays, Heart transplant, hospital hygiene, cure for cancer (can be in the future :D)
(16:27:45) Echo51: dates the world was said to end
(16:40:50) Grauniad: 5 more idea, but I haven't got dates as yet. Extra-solar events: radio messages arriveing somewhere, Voyager arriving somewhere - our radio broadcasts arriving at a particular star system, etc...

All added. :)

Karsten75

Well, how about birthdates for the inventors of 5 significant computer languages?

I know:
-  Backus: Fortran (but he's already in another)
- Hopper: COBOL
- Ritchie: C
- Iverson: APL
- Basic: Kemeny/Kurtz
- Java: Gosling