Custom Map #1517: La la la la, Weaponry!. By: planetfall

Started by AutoPost, December 23, 2014, 02:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1517: La la la la, Weaponry!

Author: planetfall
Size: 127x144

Desc:
[PF #15] Glamask Datnarken is a very bad tactician. He should know better than this by now. Thank you to teknotiss for early feedback! #CRPL #CustomEnemy #CustomUnit #Spores #Digitalis #Runners #Missiles #CorruptedForge #Flamethrowers #ShieldDrones #PFSeries

ChaosMaster130

Ah Planetfall. I forgot how confusing your maps have become >_<

But really, a bunch of new stuff is happening at the start and I got no clue whats going on.
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

planetfall

There is an explanation of units and enemies in the archive menu.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

ChaosMaster130

Oh that button... Yeah I did not see that thing at first.

Okay after knowing that the map became much easier(and after adjusting my starting strategy), if not at all faster.

So yeah once I knew what I was doing the map was much funnier, 2 thumbs up from me anyway  ;)

Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

RrR

I broke the map.

I clicked something that made the shield ship transparent and unclickable, the beams stopped targeting shields, and the emitters stopped emitting. With no emitters, the map is still a bit of a challenge, but not that much.

planetfall

Quote from: RrR on December 23, 2014, 06:15:34 PM
I broke the map.

I clicked something that made the shield ship transparent and unclickable, the beams stopped targeting shields, and the emitters stopped emitting. With no emitters, the map is still a bit of a challenge, but not that much.

Hrmphh...

First of all, just as a sanity check, make sure you didn't accidentally turn off ship visibility and shield targeting.

Also, open your save in the editor and check if there is an invisible core off the top left corner of the map. It stores a lot of game state data to optimize other scripts, but if it's destroyed that would cause the beams to stop and the ship to become invisible. I'm not sure how the emitters would be messed up by that, or how it would be destroyed in the first place. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause what you describe. What were you doing just before this happened?

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

RrR

After I broke the map, the targeting menu opened but otherwise ceased to respond.

I've opened the saved map - there is no core off the top left corner of the map (I can see it in the original). But there is an invisible core near the top left forge.

When the map broke, I was trying to move the shield ship (I had done this many time already).

I can upload the save if it helps (its from when I finished rather than immediately after the problem).

planetfall

Quote from: RrR on December 24, 2014, 06:13:50 AM
After I broke the map, the targeting menu opened but otherwise ceased to respond.

I've opened the saved map - there is no core off the top left corner of the map (I can see it in the original). But there is an invisible core near the top left forge.

When the map broke, I was trying to move the shield ship (I had done this many time already).

I can upload the save if it helps (its from when I finished rather than immediately after the problem).

Uploading it might help. Do you remember what was happening in the top left when the game broke? What kinds of units (normal and custom) were there?

RrR

I had two aether drones near the top left forge, and the shield ship was ~level with the base of the large red missile launcher, as were two void transformers. Not sure what the enemy unit were doing.  I've attached the final save map.

If I get time, I'll try the map again - I wasn't sufficiently aggressive at the start

planetfall

Hmm... I can't find the invisible core you're talking about. Unless you mean the "!!!" cores, which are missile target indicators. And those shouldn't even be there, I thought I had specifically disabled those for the mini launcher.

There is nothing in the ship script that could destroy the core, so it's something else going on elsewhere. I did want to spend a big chunk of today on CRPL, but this isn't exactly what I envisioned :P

I suspect it's something subtle like another core giving the master core a script that destroys it (such as unitrider, or one of the missile scripts). The core has ID 0 so that other scripts can refer to it very efficiently, but the problem is that 0 is the default value of variables and the result of CreateUnit if the unit could not be created. So if a script tries to create a CRPL core off the edge of the map, it will think the ID of the nonexistent new core is 0 and apply scripts to that.

I may just delete that core, spawn a new one, and change all the scripts to use the new ID. That may make things simpler for the future, but there's no guarantee that zero-confusion is even the cause of the problem. It could just be a regular old Destroy call to something picked up by GetAllUnitsInRange.

KingGreenYoshi

AN AMAZING MAP!  :) :) :) The only problem is i cant get started. one time an emitter missile landed really close to the bottom right-handd corner, destroying my base.
HASHTAGS ARE OVERRATED!!!
QuoteThen why do you use them :P

D0m0nik

I have had exactly the same problem as RrR!

I was very close to finishing the map when suddenly the emitters all stopped, my ship switched to invisible and all off my options went red and are not selectable anymore, I can no longer defeat the map as the shield on the forge regenerates instantly!

Defo something strange going on!

RrR

The singularity weapon can knock down the forge's defence. That's how I eventually beat the map after I broke it.

planetfall

Sorry guys... Got sucked into another game for a bit.

I haven't been able to pin down the bug exactly because I can't quite repro it, but I did find one thing that could potentially, in a very specific situation, in theory cause the master core to be destroyed.

Here's a copy of the map with that loophole hopefully sealed. There's no real way to tell because the chances of the bug occurring are slim, though. In light of this I'm not sure if there is any point in uploading it to CS.

D0m0nik

Its an odd one, I reloaded my game from a saved point and it did not happen again.

Doesn't take away from the fact that this is another crazy map! Amazing work, don't let the bug get you down!