Custom Map #1266: Twin Peaks Castle. By: warren

Started by AutoPost, October 18, 2014, 09:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1266: Twin Peaks Castle

Author: warren
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Final episode (4) of Battle Castle. Play ep. 1 first for instructions. In this episode, the series comes to a thrilling conclusion at a famous pass.

warren

ChaosMaster130

OK Before anything else the map has one BIG problem.

The. LAG.

So yeah in less then 5 minutes I could tell that playing this map would be a massive slog. So I'm giving this map a thumbs down for now.

Sorry man   :(
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Richard333

Quote from: ChaosMaster130 on October 20, 2014, 01:41:14 AM
OK Before anything else the map has one BIG problem.

The. LAG.

So yeah in less then 5 minutes I could tell that playing this map would be a massive slog. So I'm giving this map a thumbs down for now.

Sorry man   :(
Yeh the lag deals me in before the enemy units do at around 10 minutes at 1x speed after 3x then 2x.

Tyler21

Warren, your coding skills are amazing, although this was a pretty difficult map because of the lag.

I tried so do something with the lag in the editor (well, I just inserted some dynamic delay functions within movement and attack commands that increase the delay with the total unit count so as to improve performance) and this very primitive trick managed to improve performance a lot. I had almost no lag at around 2,000 units at x1 speed (the delay in the case of 2,000 units is about 1 sec for each unit).

However, because of these delays, the units are 'slower' (in game time terms, but not in real time). I think the speeds could be dynamically adjusted too so as to counterbalance the delays. But then the units would move too discontinuously...

Anyways, this castle series was the most impressive crpl work I have ever seen around here (except for the original CW of course :))
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

warren

I already have a bunch of delays in the script (implemented with custom timers). They are located after a few if statements and before the performance heavy sections. This ensures that responsiveness takes less of a hit. Move should be far more expensive than attack. There are a couple other scripts running that could also be contributing to lag. In particular, the script that modifies how much creeper it takes to flow uphill. That one has a lag cost directly proportional to the map size. That is one reason there are no large maps in the series.

tanminecraft2

do you want to meet telanir? he is an amazing coder like you he created sleeper he's great

warren