Custom Map #250: MirrorImage. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, February 23, 2014, 08:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #250: MirrorImage

Author: stewbasic
Size: 182x81

Desc:
A corrupted forge will prevent you from claiming more than half of the territory on this map. Destroy creeper with care - it could jeopardize your efforts on the other side! #CRPL #Digitalis #NoSpores #NoTerps #NoGuppies #NoRelays

planetfall

A corrupted forge?
Where have I seen one of those before...
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

burguertime

Quote from: planetfall on February 23, 2014, 08:40:16 PM
A corrupted forge?
Where have I seen one of those before...

Imitation is the best form of flattery.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Altren

Great concept. I loved and hated it. Wasn't playing for time at all, so my highscore is 2 hours of realtime, because I seen no reason to pause this. Most annoying part was looking for recently lost buildings. I kept hearing "boom" and then looking for 10-20 second for place where defences are weakened.

I think you should make easier start, so more players can enjoy playing puzzle part of the map.
Right now it have rough start and I think that most players would not be able to enjoy this map, because they would not be able to start.

I'm sure I used not easy way to solve this, but here's my final final position:

Spoiler
[close]

stewbasic

That's a lot of shields :o. I'm glad your final position looks quite different from mine; I was worried the map would be too restrictive.

Altren

Altren

Marty

Created an account here just to say: wow that was hard!

Making the start easier would improve this a lot.

Spoiler
I couldn't find a way to start on both sides, had to start on one side and then fight onto the other side.
So delaying things a bit so you could land in the corners and get started would let people get on with the puzzle solving.
[close]
My final setup attached (well, maybe, first time posting so don't know how attachments work here):

Altren

Whoa! Almost eight hours!

How long did you played in real time?

Marty

I'm guessing 4 hours or more with all the setbacks and going back to previous saves.  Played most of the time at 4X dropping to 2x occasionally.  Kept telling myself I wasn't going to play it any more but then kept trying a different attack.

Spoiler
If I was doing it over I would not increase my weapons range all the way, blasters with shorter range would have been much more helpful at the end when you need to balance things. 
[close]

stewbasic

I could put up an easy version with a longer starting delay (and a higher reactor limit? Decreasing total creeper level from 0.4 to 0.3 or 0.2? What else?). I made the start tight partially because I didn't want the mine tech collected before the mirror activates, so for the easy version I might have the tech drop down afterwards.

btw question for people who finished it:
Spoiler

I had in mind that shooting the runners on the central platform on one side would deposit creeper and allow the creeper to be cleared on the other side to get the mine tech. But maybe brute force is less hassle. How did you get the tech?
[close]

Marty

In my best attempts at getting a stable starting position on both sides at the start I probably only needed a few more seconds, not sure that would be enough time to grab the tech, build mines and sprayers, and do it on both sides without getting wiped out once the mirroring starts.

And to answer your question: Brute Force from the bottom.

Helper

I'm curious to know the mappers intent in making this (these) kind(s) of maps.
This one has 142 D/L's but only two players who have posted scores.
Is there any intention of offering some hints/spoilers?

The 'easy' version now has 60 D/L's, with 0 scores.

I'm not a mapper, so can't see things from that perspective - but isn't the basic intention to provide maps/games that most people can play?

Interested in hearing from those who do the creating.
Thanks,
H

teknotiss

Quote from: Helper on March 17, 2014, 02:43:43 PM
I'm not a mapper, so can't see things from that perspective - but isn't the basic intention to provide maps/games that most people can play?

Interested in hearing from those who do the creating.
Thanks,
H

well i can't speak for stew, but i think i understand a possible cause
i imagine it's the puzzle part that causes this. if a mapper works too much on a linear or puzzle map it's possible to get so used (fast and good) to doing the start of your map it's easy to forget how hard you're actually making it.
then when a player isn't able to see the "trick" or so on in the first few secs it becomes V hard V fast. and players tend to drop tricky maps and move on i think
i found myself doing this on some CW2 maps but i noticed and reined them in hard, and i keep CRPL to a bare minimum to avoid overly complex starts.

personally i thought the effort worth 10, but the (re)playability was pretty low so i decline to rate this one since our rating system doesn't have a "mindbending" option ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus