Custom Map #212: Pass the Map 2. By: Community

Started by AutoPost, February 08, 2014, 09:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #212: Pass the Map 2

Author: Community
Size: 120x120

Desc:
A map made together by several KnuckleCracker forum members. Clean0nion, JonneeG, Lost in Nowhere, pawel345, Mikoz, Grayzzur, MadMag and Warpsing. Hope you enjoy. The pass the map game can be found on the forums in custom map discussion, if you want to make a part of the next map you are welcome. #PassTheMap #noDigitalis #Spores #CRPL #noRunners #Void #HellRiderGuppy

Warpsing

it deserves that special hellrider guppy tag. You'll see what i mean, but say you made a arena for you to fight it and increased the HP, regen, had it rain creeper every so often, and it could act as a actual boss.

Helper

Folks:
Eight of you put this together, but only two have been able to finish and post a score.
Do you think you (collectively) went a little too far on the difficulty/complexity?

H

TLMike

Lost in Nowhere

On all of my attempts, the guns got me before I had much of a defense up...
Don't die! :)

Helper

@Lost -
As one of the creators of this, it gives me pause that you are unable to complete it.
With CW2, no map can be posted without a valid score from the creator.
Perhaps the team that creates these should agree that ALL of you must be able to finish before it goes up?
H

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

planetfall

I can usually get a decent defense up, and then turrets come in on tracks that weren't there before...

Either a. they should go back to being one-snipe-from-stunned after recovering (with enough delay before firing for a sniper to keep 2-3 stunned), or b. you should take out the stinkin' drill robot.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

pawel345

One of the tricks to this map is moving your main base after a while.

Spoiler
When I was playing I started out in the "main" starting spot, took out the emitter using the energy packs and built a collector network expanding south(used the PZ for a reactor). Then I powered up the "broken" turret, built a guppy and a mortar and went to the forge.
After the aether packs where used I placed a nullifier on one PZ and mortar on the other. Then built a reactor on the PZ left and moved one of CN to that area. You quickly get 4 PZ  and that's more than enough energy collection. Use the terps to block of rails and you are nearly done with the map.
[close]

Wheatmidge

I found the random aspects of this level a little frustrating.
I gave the map quite a few attempts and did end up beating it.
I had the forge destroyed by the very first spore from the superguppy thing.
Then I had the rail building thing build right outside my main base and had it destroyed by cannons.
More than once I had to reload because the superguppy was in range of my PZ beam and drained all of it's energy before a spore attack. I know I could just deactive the beam until the spore attack, but the superguppy spores do not have a siren. so I missed them getting launched quite a few times.

I'm going to offer a piece of advice for base defence against the turrets. They can travel anywhere that is level 7. So any time the rail builder get's to close to your base use a terp (easier on PZ for large range) to put a 6 or 8 height point in the rail and the cannons will not be able to get past that point.

Grayzzur

Quote from: Wheatmidge on February 10, 2014, 06:42:28 PM
I'm going to offer a piece of advice for base defence against the turrets. They can travel anywhere that is level 7. So any time the rail builder get's to close to your base use a terp (easier on PZ for large range) to put a 6 or 8 height point in the rail and the cannons will not be able to get past that point.
Spoiler
8 is better. The rail builder will not build on terrain that's already higher than 7.

Also, the turrets shoot at the closest unit. The barrel pivots slowly. You can move units back and forth a little bit and get a turret hung up swinging its barrel back and forth until you can block its path with a Terp, then move all in-range units briefly into the air to make it wander off.

The factory only makes the smaller turrets. The have less range than the big one, though they do move a bit faster (but not as fast as the one small turret that's on the map at the start).
[close]

You don't have to save the forge. You can rebuild it, but it is expensive. I let it go and built a new one later, after I had my energy production up and was working on taking the lower-left corner. If you make the conscious decision to let the forge go and rebuild it, save the ammo in the busted turret to aid you in your assault. It has a  large but limited supply.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Jerdog

Way too complicated.

The beauty of CW is its simpicity.

Xindaris

The rail-walking turrets are among the cheapest things I've ever seen. They can fire through walls and under shields without any way of hurting or even stunning them unless I can line up a nullifier? Seriously? There is NO WAY a nullifier can be built while under fire from one of those things. And the map isn't set to allow nullifiers anywhere, so I can't even prepare for one to show up that way. They fire so fast they can kill off blasters placed specifically to act as bait and destroy the creeper produced. And they're apparently somehow random, too, since I was attacked first from each of two different directions on two different runs.

Johnny Haywire

Just found this map and I really like it!

The key is terping at 8 high around your base. You only need to terp single squares at first and then perhaps some walls a good distance from your base, then gradually progress outward.

Keep your beams out of range of the guppy thing so they'll only shoot spores. It's not really hard nor crazy. Pretty easy to play straight through after you get the hang of what's going on.

Thanks for the map!  :)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Kaiden

Beat this map after 1 hour and 35 minutes, didn't like it. Terrain gets really messed up. making it annoying to place units without terps. I didn't have access to aether until the end of the map. The turrets were obnoxiously annoying to deal with the entire way through the map, especially at the beginning, even with terps destroying the rails.