Time limits on maps - why?

Started by UpperKEES, June 02, 2010, 09:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ontheworld

Quote from: Xirema on July 21, 2010, 11:16:54 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on July 21, 2010, 09:28:35 AM
There are many maps without a time limit that meet their respective classifications of easy, medium, hard, etc.  without a time limit. Some of these maps do not allow the luxury of allowing you to build up a standoff position - you have to fight for space for every blaster, reactor or other unit you need to position.

I should have clarified: I don't think maps without time limits don't deserve their rating, I MEANT to mean pretty much exactly what you said. I should have followed up by saying that Time Limits are what I use to reach that point.

how do time limits make you fight for every bit of space? They really only make you rush...

(i figured that now this thread is brought back to life anyways...)

Twi

I have reverse time limits on two of my maps: you simply have to survive untill the time is up and the Creeper is gone. Of course, this doesn't mean that people can't have widely different scores. I just knew that was the only way to make a map you could win by defense.

I'm not a fan of time limits myself. I don't want my maps to be easy to lose. I prefer to work on making them challenging or enjoyable to play or win.

And of course, when it comes to playing those maps, I'm a noob and I know it. I lack the hardcore CW skills that many people have.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Tartarus Guard

I like time limits in the 5 to 15 minute range.  At this length I'm not too upset if I have to start over.  If I didn't realize there was a time limit on a 30 minute average map and I was wiped at 32 minutes, I'd be irritated.

I think they can be appropriate for hard or expert maps.  If I'm allowed to slog through a map meant to be beaten in ~10 minutes I can use the first slow run to see how the map works and make a targeted second run at the map.  However if the map wipes me out around 13 to 15 minutes it becomes more difficult to figure out what I'm doing wrong, makes me think more.

Pyxis_GeeK

I have decided that I will only use the time limit on one map. Kind of like the ending of the story. Even though I am a newbie I always want to add to the community and dont want to spend my time or waste any one elses on something that is not fun. With that said I will continue the development of my maps and submit them and leave it to you the community to give me feedback. I want to make something entertaining as well as challeging. 

And by challenging not stacking 10 1000 intensity emitters....

I think its kind of fun making a map. Setting the emitters at an intensity level, loading the level seeing what happens making tweaks here and there reloading the level. I have made maps that when I finally beat them I feel like I have accomplished something. I want the community to take that away when they play one of my maps.

As always advice is always appreciated.

For now back to work. Tonight the map creating continues  :)