Request for comment, TG Air Raid

Started by Tartarus Guard, August 07, 2010, 11:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tartarus Guard

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I've uploaded my first map, TG Air Raid.  I'd love to get some feedback on the map.

http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/mapcomments.php?id=2820&page=

Blaze

Why not ask in the description?

And Welcome to the forums and to map-making!
Hope you find everything well.

Tartarus Guard

Thank you for welcoming me to CW Blaze.  After beating the standard game I dove in to making a map before looking through the web site. I didn't realize there was a comment section on the map until after I made the forum thread.  Will rely on the map comments in the future :)

Blaze

Okay, then next time you want feedback, just ask in the description.

Sounds like you couldn't wait to get your hands dirty.

Karsten75

It is a very annoying map. If that is what you wished to make, you have succeeded. No weapons. Continuous waves of spores. and then you still have to rush to build the necessary relays to cover the rivers and fly Odin City to connect to the last totem. And all before the river runs over the banks and floods the plain.

From what I can see you set a good time to do all that. Congrats.

As for me, not gonna even try now that I know what is required, since I detest the effect those spore waves have on my ability to build, never mind that I'm completely defenseless with no blasters or mortars.

Tartarus Guard

I wasn't going for annoying, but I was going for difficult.

Unless somebody surprises me the strategy to beating the map is fairly monolithic.  Would the map have been less annoying if I had allowed for an alternate method to beat the map that wouldn't have yielded as good of a completion time?  Like if I had put some weapon techs up in the far right corner so that you could grab them a blast out the valley?

ontheworld

would have been an idea. the main problem i have with this level is that i need all the time to build enough sams and enough collectors for the sams so i cant even bother gettting to these totems. A lower rate of spores could have been another idea

Mare

I am sorry if this is too harsh but,

My honest thoughts: The map is horrible, it requires expert level skill just to know how to build SAMs fast enough so that the spores don't kill you, not enough time to build SAMs and the waves get too strong to quickly. A map needs a steady flow of enemies that are beatable, this map can discourage many players who are new to the game and are having a hard time beating it.

I don't how you beat the map, but all I know is that its beatable by some means. A game is supposed to be fun, not overwhelmingly challenging, and I did not have fun on this map.

Once again this is just my opinion, don't let it discourage you from making maps, just make some that are less boring and are easier to beat. I am, once again, sorry if it sounded too harsh or mean to a map maker like you.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

mthw2vc

Excellent map! Not too difficult, but it will teach you a lesson in how to deal with spores the old-fashioned way and will give you trouble if you're rusty on the defense tactics.

Tartarus Guard

@ontheworld

It sounds like you were comming close to beating the map.  You were defending the spores but getting caught by the river, right?  There's a trick to building it all out quick enough to avoid the flood.  If you're interested in a spoiler PM me, it may help with other maps as well.  Although mthw2vc seems to have a better strategy or be better at it, he smashed my time :)

@Mare

Your comments are appreciated.  I understand the frustration of a difficult map, however it was labled Expert Only. Do you have any examples of expert only maps that you have enjoyed?  I would like to play a few to get a feel for how they are different.  Also if your curious how I got through on the play test, PM me.

@mthw2vc

Glad you enjoyed it :) You smoked my time, congratulations.  I'm going to have to see if I can get close to your time now.  On a side note, the map could use your review on the star chart.  Currently sitting at 1 lonely star on two reviews. Strike that, looks like you or somebody else added a rating.  No longer sitting at complete fail :)

ontheworld

well, i was defending but not close to winning yet. but since you need to build a continous supply of SAMs at the beginning i quickly lost hope of ever beating the map

Tartarus Guard

Quote from: ontheworld on August 10, 2010, 05:38:42 AM
well, i was defending but not close to winning yet. but since you need to build a continous supply of SAMs at the beginning i quickly lost hope of ever beating the map

I sent you a PM, if you decide to take another crack at the map let me know.

Mare

Maybe I was sounding too harsh, I see that another person completed it, and well, the only expert level map that I remembered that I played was...Moki moki version 1.1. Looking back on my previous comment, I can see now that maybe I was wrong, I usually play hard level maps for a challenge and medium level for fun, Please ignore my previous comment/insult to your map, try making the solution to the map a little more...umm.....obvious.

Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me