Weekly history tournament - math/physics/astronomy scientists - closing Oct. 10

Started by UpperKEES, October 04, 2010, 06:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

This weeks theme will be a subcategory of the scientists theme. I have chosen for the scientists that have assisted us in understanding the Creeper (without knowing about it). ;)

Math/physics/astronomy scientists

The maps to be played before Sunday October 10 at midnight (forum time) are:

Map
Date of birth
ScientistScientific fieldMain research area

1.Isaac Newtonphysics, math, astronomy
philosophy, alchemy, theology
universal gravitation, the three laws of motion
2.Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourierphysics, math, historyFourier series, heat transfer and vibrations, greenhouse effect
3.Albert Einsteinphysics, philosophyrelativity, photoelectric effect, particle motion, unified field theory
4.Edwin Powell Hubbleastronomymultiple galaxies, redshift, expanding universe
5.Stephen William Hawkingphysics, math, cosmologyblack holes, quantum gravity, Hawking radiation

The winner (best total score) gets to pick next weeks theme. If we have the same winner as last week, the runner up (#2) will pick the theme. See here for the rules and an overview of themes.

Please post your progress/total scores in this topic to ease the calculations at the end of the week.

Good luck and enjoy! :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

RandyTravis

Lol I really want to keep up with this, but college takes lots of time. This was so kickass in the summer when I just had hours to kill... well. I'll try. Probably just a run through.

UpperKEES

Like last week this weeks maps aren't very hard (as far as I've been able to judge), so they shouldn't take too much of your time.

Katra

Maybe the only way I'll have the lead in one of these. Finish all the maps first.  ;D
current scores

Jan   4  1643    8718   8 min 49 sec
Mar 21  1768    9020   6 min 31 sec
Mar 14  1879    9708   1 min 48 sec
Nov 20  1889    8520  10 min 25 sec
Jan   8  1942    8685   9 min 5   sec

total 44651              

(edit - score update)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Kamron3

really should be bi-weeklies to allow people more time to perfect their scores.

UpperKEES

I think a week for just 5 maps is fine (the average player only needs 30-60 minutes to finish them), but when less people get interested we can always change it to 2 weeks.

So when are you gonna join? I thought you would participate in last weeks tournament....

UpperKEES

My results so far:

Map
Date
Score
Time

3:51
4:28
1:22
6:31
4:47

Totals:
20:59

RandyTravis

I'm still disappointed that Tesla didn't get a spot =[. Oh well. Anyways, on to fighting the creeper.

UpperKEES

It was a pretty hard choice. Originally I had Descartes listed as well, but I figured scientists related to the mechanics of the Creeper would be most appealing. So many scientists left.... more than enough for another few tournaments! :)

Kamron3

Descartes is sitting in bar.
The bartender says "It's closing time, are you going to have another beer?"
Descartes is silent for a few seconds.
Descartes says, "I think not" and vanished.

Karsten75

Quote from: Kamron3 on October 07, 2010, 02:00:59 AM
Descartes is sitting in bar.
The bartender says "It's closing time, are you going to have another beer?"
Descartes is silent for a few seconds.
Descartes says, "I think not" and vanished.

Again, you're putting de horse in front of Descartes?

Did you know that Rene Descartes met the Hunchback of Notre Dame?

They were both visiting Paris, and met on a ferry crossing the famous river. Somehow Quasimodo fell overboard. He disappeared under the water because of the weight of handbells he was carrying on his belt.

As Descartes began a rescue, he shouted, "Quasimodo, I see where you are," and plopped on his coordinates.

He found Quasimodo was already headed toward shore. He seemed to be running across the bottom, but then Descartes saw he was dancing! Descartes signed to him: "What are you doing that for?" Quasimodo signed back, "Save yourself! I'm happy. I'm just Ringing In The Seine!!"

So Rene reached the shore by bobbing up and down. An onlooker asked, "How did you do that?" "I'm a Cartesian diver," replied Descartes. "I realize, 'I sink.' Therefore I swam."
---- This story pasted together by Ian Ellis (whomever he may be).

RandyTravis

Is it just me or does Hubble's map remind you of another we did? I can't remember exactly, but you were in the upper right, in a terrible position.

UpperKEES

ctuna

Significant room for improvement, in the last two especially. I seem to do better in the shorter engagements - must be energy management vs geometry.

Date                      Score   Time
January 4, 1643          9271     4:43
March 21, 1768          9146     5:36
March 14, 1879          9769     1:25
November 20, 1889       8778     8:21
January 8, 1942          8821     6:45
TOTAL                     45553    26:54

Scores updated/oops, reupdated/bettered some times