Weekly history tournament - deadliest volcanic eruptions - closing Sept. 19

Started by UpperKEES, September 13, 2010, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 13, 2010, 07:23:47 PM
#2 is probably the best Chronom map I've yet encountered.

Yeah, it's pretty ironic you have to sit on top of Mount Krakatoa to survive! ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Mare

I apologize UpperKEES, But I could not enjoy these maps without a little Double Down, And I must say, It was very fun Playing these maps. And I couldn't be more happy about the score I got.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

UpperKEES

So you've only played map #1? That's the easiest one. Try map #2 if you're up for a real challenge!

NB: when you can finish a map while the pools are still filling up, it doesn't actually matter that much whether you've got DD-mode turned on or off.

Mare

Number 2 is not that hard, Although I must say that out of all the maps, It has made me move odin city, Normally I act too fast for the creeper to reach me, but on map 2.....Odin city is in a really bad spot.
Lying is an Art Form, to succeed, some truth most be woven into the fabric of deception -Anonymous
If you want something done then do it yourself, if you can't,then ask someone to do it for you, making sure to compensate later. If you cannot do that, then you're better off doing nothing at all -Me

UpperKEES

So where's your score? Show us how easy it is! :P

And whether you're too fast for the creeper or not, it's almost always a wise choice to move OC to a location closer to the totems and/or upgrades.

Mare

I has made me use the cheap tactic of building up then attacking, in which case, that means it is actually a hard map. Usually, I build up at the same time I attack, But this map is special, Now in a couple Minutes my score will be posted, please be patient.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Mare on September 13, 2010, 10:38:48 PM
I has made me use the cheap tactic of building up then attacking, in which case, that means it is actually a hard map.

Cheap? Hmmm, I guess I'm pretty cheap then.... ;)

Usually, I build up at the same time I attack

You may wish to reconsider. It's a good thing to have both your defensive and offensive force ready before you engage the enemy. Especially in CW it really pays off to manage your energy wisely.

But this map is special, Now in a couple Minutes my score will be posted, please be patient.

Okay, I can do that. :)

Mare

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 13, 2010, 10:51:57 PM
I has made me use the cheap tactic of building up then attacking, in which case, that means it is actually a hard map.

Cheap? Hmmm, I guess I'm pretty cheap then.... ;)

Usually, I build up at the same time I attack

You may wish to reconsider. It's a good thing to have both your defensive and offensive force ready before you engage the enemy. Especially in CW it really pays off to manage your energy wisely.

But this map is special, Now in a couple Minutes my score will be posted, please be patient.

Okay, I can do that. :)
By building up and attacking, I meant something along the lines of, Going to the safest spot on the map, And spam reactors until your energy goes high Like crazy. That is like, one of the greatest, most cheapest tactics, And I only use it as a last resort, when all else fails.......

UpperKEES

Quote from: Mare on September 13, 2010, 11:08:26 PM
By building up and attacking, I meant something along the lines of, Going to the safest spot on the map, And spam reactors until your energy goes high Like crazy. That is like, one of the greatest, most cheapest tactics, And I only use it as a last resort, when all else fails.......

Yeah, I know you prefer doing things the hard way. :P On a custom map most map makers will prevent such a save spot (by limiting its space), but on most Chronom maps you'll find a location like that. Don't forget however you're putting the lives of all 50,000 Odin residents at stake when fighting as reckless as you do! ;) Besides that it's not the best approach for a fast time, but if you have most fun doing so I wouldn't change it either. When I played the Conquest missions 8 months ago I always capped every emitter and made the map completely green before activating the rift. You got to do what you got to do!

IcEcAt

so after a day of balancing my daughter and playing cw when she was sleeping, here are my scores.

April 10, 1815         9242   04min 55sec
    August 27, 1883         6293   35min 20sec
    August 24, 0079         7882   16min 07sec
        May 07, 1902         7948   15min 29sec
November 13, 1985         8181   13min 20sec

now lets see if i can improve my times. i still havent figured out how to get those wicked low times, but i am better then i was last week.
(THROW ME A BONE HERE PEOPLE!)

Mare

I hate easy wins, Theres no fun in it unless it you do it the difficult way.

UpperKEES

Quote from: IcEcAt on September 14, 2010, 12:09:25 AM
(THROW ME A BONE HERE PEOPLE!)

Quote from: Mare on September 14, 2010, 12:10:03 AM
I hate easy wins, Theres no fun in it unless it you do it the difficult way.

In that case you have 3 options:

1. Make it difficult on yourself by playing less effective.
2. Play harder maps.
3. Try to beat a map as fast as possible.

Options 2 & 3 appeal more to me. ;)

Katra

I managed to finish them all. Can't figure out how some of you manage those really short times.

1. April 10, 1815               9316 4min 24sec
2. August 27, 1883           8097  14min 6sec  (Just wondering where you moved the city to. I've actually completed it from both sides of the pool.)
3. August 24, 79              8932   7min 10 sec
4. May 7, 1902                 9216  5min 2sec
5. November 13, 1985       9263   4min  46sec
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

Quote from: Katra on September 14, 2010, 01:01:22 AM
Can't figure out how some of you manage those really short times.

I'm sure the winners of individual maps will reveal their strategy when the tournament has finished, like we did last time. Only not sure about Miss Melissa though; she prefers to keep her strategies to herself normally (which is her good right of course).