Hash/date collision?

Started by Echo51, August 27, 2010, 03:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo51

Is there the possibility for a collision in the generator, as in 2 identical maps but on 2 different dates?
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

knucracker

This is theoretically possible for any given sequence of maps, but super, mega, absurdly improbably in a sample size of 3.6 million maps. 

Echo51

Seems improbable in that small sample size, yeah, but we'll see eventually :)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Blaze

My bet is with the island maps.

Sqaz

Well, a simple calculation (amount of blocks on a map) to the (amount of possible elevations) gives 428billiard, or 428 quadrillion for you Britains and Americans, and that's just the terrain, so no emitters, totems, OC placements or spores. So only to have the same terrain there's only a chance of 1 to 118 milliard (that's 118 billion for you Britains and Americains), so it isn't very likely.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2010, 09:37:28 AM
Well, a simple calculation (amount of blocks on a map) to the (amount of possible elevations) gives 428billiard, or 428 quadrillion for you Britains and Americans, and that's just the terrain, so no emitters, totems, OC placements or spores. So only to have the same terrain there's only a chance of 1 to 118 milliard (that's 118 billion for you Britains and Americains), so it isn't very likely.

If you want to lump British and American numerical systems together, you should know that a billion is not the same in the UK as it is in the US. Common usage has obfuscated the issue and made the US numbering system more common, but the original British system (still used by purists) has billion larger by a factor of 10^6 than the American system.

And here is an authoritative source to back up my statement: The Oxford Dictionary.

Sqaz

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 28, 2010, 10:15:57 AM

If you want to lump British and American numerical systems together, you should know that a billion is not the same in the UK as it is in the US. Common usage has obfuscated the issue and made the US numbering system more common, but the original British system (still used by purists) has billion larger by a factor of 10^6 than the American system.

And here is an authoritative source to back up my statement: The Oxford Dictionary.

Ahem: "British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English."

You're authoritative source only seems to contradict your statement  ;D, but I keep learning things here.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2010, 10:22:34 AM
Quote from: Karsten75 on August 28, 2010, 10:15:57 AM

Ahem: "British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English."

You're authoritative source only seems to contradict your statement  ;D, but I keep learning things here.

In my post, that you quoted, I acknowledged that the US system is more common, but that purists would then not make the differentiation that you made.

Sqaz

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 28, 2010, 10:26:47 AM
In my post, that you quoted, I acknowledged that the US system is more common, but that purists would then not make the differentiation that you made.

I don't get it anymore, so you say that purists wouldn't make the differentiation I made, but I never made a differentiation between US and UK, I just said it for the British and Americans on one side, and the rest of the world on the other side ???

Michionlion

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Sqaz

Quote from: Michionlion on September 22, 2010, 02:13:59 PM
Ok, that is weird.

Just as weird as reviving a thread that's a month old when you've got nothing new to add?

Aurzel

its not a month old yet but i agree lets flame the nub :D

Michionlion

well i'm doing it from a mobile phone so it doesn't look the same there isn't a date.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!