Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #561: Boxed Boxes Boxing

Author: Sorrontis
Size: 287x287

Desc:
I'm losing my mind! #NoPRPL

Sorrontis

A little question to those that played this map... which power source did you start at [10,12,14,16,20]?

EDIT: For those wondering, I started at the 10 power source ...
Spoiler
making it a little slow to start, but you have access to a "Porter" and 2 "Omni" pickups very quickly if your smart about it (+ the amp gem). Also, the 'Phoebes" pickup can be grabbed right after those other 3.
[close]
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

D0m0nik

QuoteI'm losing my mind!

Didn't want to say anything but the signs have been there for a while...

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Sorrontis

Quote from: D0m0nik on January 19, 2017, 02:53:16 PM
QuoteI'm losing my mind!

Didn't want to say anything but the signs have been there for a while...
Ha! ...  :-\
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Stickman

Started at 16.
Not so bad once I captured 20. 20 seems like the best one to start.

A strange experience - I could probably ignore a lot of land and mines on them and that would make my playthrough much faster. But it really rubs me the wrong way to leave land unmired and mines unclaimed, so I went veeeery slow.

Starting Photonships are crazily powerful in this scenario. I think 90% of the map were cleared by three ships - two Photonships and HQ.

I like how two rather simple things - doppels and fields - can produce interesting image.

Huge square SHIP is just ridiculous. Amped up Exp. 32 with the help of lots of other ships took way too much time to slowly wear out this monstrosity.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

yum-forum

For me it was too hard and impossible to play with Your combination of ships and I gave up :-[

But then I played in SANDBOX MODE with my fleet and enjoyed very very much! All ideas in this game (design, scenario, effects, good balance of game playing etc.) - really awesome! Especially totems under strongest enemy ship was cool!  8)

Surely 10/10 and big thanks for creating excellent game!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

ChaosMaster130

Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

D0m0nik

One of my favourite maps to date but I suspect the score is a little low because of one problem. The game has a steady pace throughout and is consistent but the big unit is out of proportion to the rest of the map. Stickman is right, it is kind of ridiculous. If this was a pure pro map then it would fit but here you are bumbling along very happily ticking off emitters when suddenly you hit a brick wall! It is enough to throw the map out of balance I think. I started building EXP27 early and so was able to just ram it but it took a fair few goes!

Having said that I love it! The multiple starting points make it amazing and there is no obvious strategy at all, endless possibilities which I am sure you were aiming for and is my favourite attribute of all virgil games. I started at number 12 but didn't like being surrounded on all sides so restarted at 20, power is good for getting some ships up.

Love to know RrRs strategy, amazing time!

Sorrontis

Quote from: D0m0nik on January 20, 2017, 03:07:23 PM
One of my favourite maps to date but I suspect the score is a little low because of one problem. The game has a steady pace throughout and is consistent but the big unit is out of proportion to the rest of the map. Stickman is right, it is kind of ridiculous. If this was a pure pro map then it would fit but here you are bumbling along very happily ticking off emitters when suddenly you hit a brick wall! It is enough to throw the map out of balance I think. I started building EXP27 early and so was able to just ram it but it took a fair few goes!

Having said that I love it! The multiple starting points make it amazing and there is no obvious strategy at all, endless possibilities which I am sure you were aiming for and is my favourite attribute of all virgil games. I started at number 12 but didn't like being surrounded on all sides so restarted at 20, power is good for getting some ships up.

The block ship was a little unbalanced.... It wasn't a problem for me because I knew the trick to get rid of it. I... I didn't think before publishing about its possible pace unbalancing effect. Shoot.

D0m0nik

Just my opinion, some may have loved it as it has a 'boss ship' element to it. I don't think it distracts too much form a fantastic map!

I think you should make another one like this though as the concept is fantastic, perhaps circles instead of squares?

Sorrontis

D0m0nik

RrR

Spoiler
Why start with just one mine? Go grab a bunch while waiting for your ships to build. Oh, and try not to let the enemy derelicts trigger, they kind of spoil the party
[close]

mike25

with an amp Exp32, and the schflak, you can soften up the big unit before ramming it with the EXP27. your time is 3 times better than mine, so part of me was like, meh I shouldn't reply, but I disagree with you about that "boss" being the difficult part of the map. now , if the big unit had Mk7s and reactors...

personally, I had a lot of trouble at the beginning of the map. in fact, I would say that for most of virgil games (CW/particle), it is usually the beginning that is the hardest.