Unapproved Map Discussion

Started by knucracker, April 14, 2010, 02:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Description

Rejection message:
QuoteThis map lags too much to be playable. It takes several seconds to even load.

Karsten75

Description:
Quotegame

Rejection message:
QuoteThe game can not be competed, since it is not possible to connect all totems on both sides of the crazonium walls.

Karsten75

Description: No need to rush.

Rejection: This map has almost no gameplay. You are required to get the Thor tech, then build a Thor and sit and wait for the creeper to erode the walls. However, with an emitter intensity of 1, and the walls on level 2 terrain, the emitters will never erode the walls. Feel free to post a score to disprove this, or make corrections and resubmit. However, bear in mind that no-one likes sitting idle for extremely long periods of time waiting for huge walls to erode.

Blaze

I think he just threw that together in under a minute.

Karsten75

Rejection message:

You submitted two identical maps. I'm holding both until you contact us to let us know which map you wish submitted.

Karsten75

I rejected this map as an apparent duplicate of this map.

Karsten75

I rejected these maps since they seemed quite similar to Artillery 1.

Artillery 2:

Artillery 3:

Artillery 4:

BermanPost

Similar; maybe, but not the same each requiring different game play and strategy to win (especially number 4).  I do not want to give away to much but the biggest differences have to do with the four rows closest to your city.

I think they are different enough not to overlap but if you disagree I would prefer number 4 be posted over the rest of them.

Karsten75

Quote from: BermanPost on May 25, 2010, 08:26:12 PM
Similar; maybe, but not the same each requiring different game play and strategy to win (especially number 4).  I do not want to give away to much but the biggest differences have to do with the four rows closest to your city.

I think they are different enough not to overlap but if you disagree I would prefer number 4 be posted over the rest of them.

Since I've already released 1, I'll wait and see if people post scores on it. If they do and I get comments that people like the gameplay, I'll release one or more of the others.

BermanPost

Given the amount of time put into those maps, have to say that is kind of weak since the game play to win (at least if you want the best time) is different.  That is especially true given the very unique game play of the series.  That said, it is obviously up to you guys what to post on the this site.

Karsten75

Quote from: BermanPost on May 25, 2010, 08:58:11 PM
Given the amount of time put into those maps, have to say that is kind of weak since the game play to win (at least if you want the best time) is different.  That is especially true given the very unique game play of the series.  That said, it is obviously up to you guys what to post on the this site.

Weak, huh?

Just to show you why we are generally reluctant to release multiple similar maps from one author, I've released all your maps. We'll all learn from the comments.

Edit: Expanded sentence to clarify.

BermanPost

We'll all learn from the comments.

Indeed we will.  I will say that I would be surprised if the better players (those that can figure out how to beat it) dislike the concept.  Indeed the only reason I added my name to the title of these was because I thought people would copy the concept and unique type of game play.

You are probobly right though; I should put out a sampler before creating a series.

UpperKEES

You're lucky Karsten reviewed your maps, because I think map makers should offer a variety to the players. I've rejected maps in the past for the same reason:

Quote from: UpperKEES on April 28, 2010, 04:03:14 PM
I've received quite a few similar maps by the same author, with just some minor changes (like spores, emitter intensity or an additional wall). One time 4 versions of the same map were uploaded and another time 5 versions of the same map.

Please note that we will allow only a maximum of 2 versions of the same map (i.e. 1 easy and 1 hard), and I even discourage doing that. People are not interested in playing the same map multiple times and we also need to give other map makers a change to get their maps in the spotlight for a while. So please make up your mind how hard your map should be and what type of players you're aiming at. Always make sure you can finish the map yourself.

This is also the reason we don't approve more than 2 maps by the same author per day (or 3 if all have scores submitted before approval; these maps will get priority during the approval process).

When I see so many similar maps by the same map maker I don't even play 1 of them, because to me it indicates that the creator wasn't able to decide what he was up to. If you have 2 different idea's in mind, just make two different landscapes which will be much more appealing to the players. You have to stimulate their enthusiasm a bit, if you understand what I mean. Would you have liked the game when all story/conquest maps looked rather similar?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

BermanPost

"Would you have liked the game when all story/conquest maps looked rather similar?"

The look is much less important to me then the game play and strategy involved.  If that view is shared by no one then I will just keep future iterations (I have one last modification in mind, though it will look a bit different then the others) of the series on my hard drive and email them to few people interested.

"When I see so many similar maps by the same map maker I don't even play 1 of them, because to me it indicates that the creator wasn't able to decide what he was up to. If you have 2 different idea's in mind, just make two different landscapes which will be much more appealing to the players."

I knew what I wanted to create before I started on each version, but I do understand what you mean; people only have a small thumbnail to tell if something looks interesting and with this type of map it is impossible to know that there are differences and that they get progressively harder until you actually play them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: BermanPost on May 26, 2010, 11:12:14 AM
The look is much less important to me then the game play and strategy involved.

I agree completely. I prefer maps however that both play well (offer a challenge) and look nice at the same time. With so many maps to play everybody has to make a choice which ones to play and which ones to skip. That's probably the main reason people like the difficulty rating to be accurate. When I have to make this choice I rather play a couple of different looking maps, as I like exploring new terrains.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview