Custom Map #1241: Tricky's test

Started by AutoPost, June 29, 2012, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1241: Tricky's test

Author: TrickyDragon

Desc:
with game 3 on the horizon, i have set a lilttle test to make sure you are all in shape for the trials ahead.... this map is very tight, so get right to work :) if you get mad easy, this is not a map for you, if you break your computer, i am not responsible. Have fun :D

RealAndy

I'm not really a fan of maps where creeper comes from nowhere, too hard to devlop a strategy when you cant understand the rules you're playing under.  Had a couple of goes without luck, might play it a bit more when I can be bothered.

teknotiss

Quote from: RealAndy on June 29, 2012, 09:37:07 PM
I'm not really a fan of maps where creeper comes from nowhere, too hard to devlop a strategy when you cant understand the rules you're playing under.  Had a couple of goes without luck, might play it a bit more when I can be bothered.

i agree, if i have to open the editor and make a note of the timings etc i don't really want to play a map. clearly a lot of effort went into this map so good one for that, but i like to be able to develop a strategy rather than have to follow one path.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Helper

I would dispute the contention that this is a "little test" and suggest that very few will "have fun".
Hard to figure out the target audience for this one, but I sure know it isn't me.

4 people have managed to work through this one, so kudos to all of them.

Karsten75

It wasn't the hard start. I tried a few times and eventually developed a strategy to get going. I even blocked off some part of the upper portion to prevent what I thought was an isolated burst of creeper teleporting into that space.  Up to then I still had fun. It was tough, and I've restarted about 7 or more times to get a good strategy, but that is what I consider par for a tough map.

Then out of the blue some creeper explosions wiped me out.

I then read in the upload comments (only visible to map moderators) that the map author expects me to open the map editor and figure out fields and timings. That was where I lost interest and abandoned this map. I suspect that is where most players will lose interest.

joshuad156

Great map.  Excellent challenge.  Generally, I also don't like maps that require you use the editor to learn how that work just so you can defend yourself.  However, in this case, it was pretty obvious what has happening.  Once I figured out what was happening, I adjusted my strategy to take care of the creeper.  After figuring out that initial defense, the rest was mostly just pushing through the map.  There was one point where some of the creeper turned into AC, and I still don't understand it, but it helped so I continued playing that way.

I'm sure opening the map in the editor would have given me the solution sooner, but the fun is to figure it out in-game.

Gonna say it again, I wish people wouldn't give a thumbs down because a map is too hard for them.

Helper

Quote from: joshuad156 on June 30, 2012, 10:49:25 AM
Gonna say it again, I wish people wouldn't give a thumbs down because a map is too hard for them.

I'll say this once.
I vote thumbs up for a map that I consider fun, thumbs down if it isn't. It has nothing to do with how hard it is, but how fun it is.

ea3401

I agree with the thumbs-up-fox at the bottom of the map.

TrickyDragon

the tough start was all i was going for then i got carried away with the teleporting creeper lol, i was in a bad mood.  i am going to another map like this, but without the teleporting creeper.    i set it where you WOULD die if you didnt know about it... bad idea on my part sorry.   i think i will take this xp and figure out a way to get players into it without it making you super mad lol.   i wanna try to figure a way to keep the heat on you, something like a defend your positon type deal. idk, perhaps some more constructive crit will help me.  just to make me a better map maker and player.   (when i was making this map there where several times that i died my self after just having done it, i like it persay, so i might rework the fields to where they will put the heat on instead of killing you straight up, let me know if anyone agrees.) 
This is Life,  Life happens.

Helper

I thought the start was terrific. It took several tries to get the right (for me) combination. Ended up using Shields + 1 Blaster and 1 Launcher per corner. Solving that kind of problem is a lot of fun.

With that center section cleared  :) I started building reactors and Tech Domes to go after the rest of the map and got gob-smacked by the ensuing surprise.

Obviously this map is beatable, but the 'how' is a bridge too far for most players. That doesn't make it a bad map...maybe it just needs a PG-13 rating (to allow for some of the language I was using).

I'm looking at your other maps and they look terrific.

fitz

I fully understand that this map will not be liked by many. In my view some of the opinions are a little harsh.

The opening is tough with timing critical to contain and clear the creeper as the terrain erodes.

The creeper appearing from nowhere is again tough, but regular saves allow you to find where it is coming from and shield it off. No need to use the editor. This magically appearing creeper has been used in some very accomplished maps.

The way the creeper eats itself in the side tanks is brilliant and leaves you with lots of AC to complete the map with a relatively straight forward dig.

So thumbs up from me.
(awaits howls of disapproval...)

Helper

Quote from: fitz on July 01, 2012, 09:43:44 AM

Not from me.
If the surprise Creeper is originating from the same cells every time, it will be easy enough to identify them and place a Shield.

I didn't stick around to try to analyze that, just saw the "Map Editor" comments and figured it was above my paygrade.

Maybe it's time for me to shut up, go eat a big bowl of patience, and try it again.

fitz

Quote from: Helper on July 01, 2012, 09:52:53 AM
If the surprise Creeper is originating from the same cells every time, it will be easy enough to identify them and place a Shield.
They are from a number of cells and they can be quite easily found, although inevitably it takes several attempts.

Helper

Quote from: fitz on July 01, 2012, 10:19:25 AM
although inevitably it takes several attempts.

Too true.
I was doing 'saves' about every 10 seconds after clearing the first hurdle and with re-loads eventually got the shields in the right places.
After figuring that part out, it was a surprisingly straight-forward map.

I wasted at least 10 minutes using the wrong attack vector, but got through it - and will give it another go.

Thanks to all who helped.

Kithros

Quote from: fitz on July 01, 2012, 10:19:25 AM
Quote from: Helper on July 01, 2012, 09:52:53 AM
They are from a number of cells and they can be quite easily found, although inevitably it takes several attempts.

While it's certainly possible, you would have to wonder what the point of them existing is considering it isn't really strategy to just save/load and memorize what happens - it just adds a tedious element to the map for no purpose. Most people won't like doing tedious things like this regardless of if it is or isn't within their ability to beat.