Feature request - Map update

Started by Fireball14, September 24, 2016, 07:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireball14

Would be grate to have some kind of an automated system in place to update our uploaded maps.Or at least ability to delete them from exchange.
Maybe some kind of a GUID as password?

Sorrontis

I don't see the point?

If you plan on making it harder/easier, just remake/republish it with significant changes. If you're not happy with it, don't publish. If you published by mistake, get one of the mods to delete it.

If you start playing with maps that are already published, the times (previous version of map) of players that already played will no longer reflect the map that new players will play. Not fair, one way or another.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Fireball14

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 24, 2016, 08:27:23 PM
I don't see the point?

If you plan on making it harder/easier, just remake/republish it with significant changes. If you're not happy with it, don't publish. If you published by mistake, get one of the mods to delete it.

If you start playing with maps that are already published, the times (previous version of map) of players that already played will no longer reflect the map that new players will play. Not fair, one way or another.
Well i would like to add builded base to one of my maps, and at that time i did not knew how to place fully build ships. Now i know, and i would like to update that map.

I do understand that just changing map would mess up scorecard, so would like to at least be able to delete my own maps.

knucracker

The main reason I don't allow deletion of maps is it can start chain reaction flame wars.  A person can be a butt and comment negatively on a map.  The author can be sensitive about it.  The author then decided to take their ball and go home... and deletes all of their maps.  Player's who liked the maps get upset and blame the original comment author.  That guy in turn removes his maps, or somebody else out of sympathy removes their maps.  A week later everybody makes up and they want to put all the maps back, so they upload them all again unchanged.

It's that general scenario and ones like it I want to avoid.  I can of course remove a map on a case by case basis.  When it is because a new version of the map is up that fixes some flaw, that isn't a problem.  I just like the "reactor" to have some control rods in place (me, karsten75, or chani) to prevent a potential meltdown :)

It's also ok to make a V2 of a map that adds enhancements and such.  Player's generally don't seem to mind if there is an original and an improved version.