19 (86.4%)
No
1 (4.5%)
I don't/wouldn't care.
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: March 22, 2010, 01:30:01 PM

TheBuilder

Hey Virgil, what is your opinion on this?
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

knucracker

Well I have no real objections to a tutorial board in theory...

Honestly, I'm just not real thrilled about hunting down all of the existing threads that should be in the new tutorial board and moving them.  There are a number of threads that should probably definitely move if I create this board.

Also, the new board would have to be policed to contain only tutorials... not commentary on if the game is good or bad, etc.  So I would envision that this board would not have a lot of chatter and back and forth.... it is only tutorials.

Lastly, would there be any relationship between this board and stuff on the wiki?

These are the things that have kept me from just letting it rip and creating a new board.

TheBuilder

Why not make the board and have the community hunt down the tutorials?
And Kamron3 is preaty quick when it comes to making sure topics stay on track, though he's not the only mod that would probably watch said hypothetical forum like a hawk.

But in the end its your decision, so umm, laters. :)
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

J

For very hard (custom) maps a tutorial board is handy.
Look at his topic: RoccoL 18 |E-M?| 5m | Tutorial

UpperKEES

Not only for custom maps. Most people visiting the forums for the first time are looking for a solution how to solve an in-game map. Look at the most popular topics by views and you know what I mean.

Give me mod rights for one day and I'll do it. I guess I would only have to go through the Gameplay (171), Custom Maps (201) and Support (182) boards, so a total of 554 topics. I just won't be able to do it within the next 10 days, as I have an exam next week.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

F0R

this is odd but might take up uneeded space i am going to make a guide on mapmaking soon you should do the same

Kamron3

I think there should be ONE topic per PLANET in the Tutorial -> Creeper World Mission Maps

These posts should contain a few screenshots and instructions.

What we want: Fastest way possible to beat the map
What we don't want: Any way to beat a map besides above

_k

UpperKEES

Quote from: Kamron3 on June 05, 2010, 06:50:24 PM
What we want: Fastest way possible to beat the map

Yeah, that would really generate some nice competition, as we've seen before for a few of the story and special OPS maps.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

ctuna

I've been playing for a while, and am starting to absorb a few of the fast-play concepts, but it took me a lot of research & forum-shopping to find, for example, the dual-flying (weapon & city, "tutorial bridging2" - thanks, HI) technique. It seems to me a collection of those ideas, and some general examples, such as the Tucana (two-mortars-control-the-creeper-expansion) concept would help the less experienced get more comfortable with the tougher maps.

In addition, I can't yet understand how some of the conquest and special ops maps can be done as quickly as the posted data. If a few of the "magic" techniques were explained, I'd I'd be happy to try to extrapolate them to others - I don't want the perfect solution to everything, just some hints.

If there was one place we could look for such, it might reduce the blather in other forum topics as well. 

mthw2vc

If you can beat hi's maps, you have every tool you need to get those scores. It's just a question of how many blasters you need to contain the emitters long enough to reach the totems. For example, in Gump, you use 3 blasters for the ideal score.