Even more Long and updated list of unit ideas, plus some other stuff:

Started by Twi, March 10, 2010, 07:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twi

I have a bunch of ideas.

First, unit ideas:

Cannon (working title): This thing is basically a souped-up Mortar with one disadvantage: It's oriented in a certain direction and can only fire in that direction ( chosen at creation.) Being able to edit that would be nice, but not vital, and if it did happen, would cost energy and/or time.

Tower Collector: Like a Collector, but you can build something else on top of it. Would either be more expensive than a normal Collector or would be built from a normal Collector- i.e, as sort of an individual upgrade. If something was on top of it, you wouldn't be able to select the Tower Collector (after all, why would you want to destroy it?). The thing on top would be directly networked to the Tower Collector, in addition to anything else within range. Basically, a space-saving implement. It could, theoretically, increase the the height of the thing on top by 1 for the purpose of Blasters, but I would think that would make it overpowered.Another, similar idea is to have it extend the range of weapons on top.
Note: Ideas SIMILAR to this may have been suggested, but possibly not.

Next, other stuff:

Suspend Walls:  Be able to say that Walls go from Y1 height to Y2 height in the map editor. Why? So we can hide emitters in pits with 'roofs'. That would be downright diabolical.  Also, Mortars shouldn't be able to fire through such roofs. And their blast effect shouldn't do anything either. Heck, perhaps the player might not even be able to see what's under there. If the latter is true, it might be remedied with a special building, but I personally think that unless advanced terrain (i.e, bridges, caves, multiple layers, et cetera) was implemented as well and this was the only thing that could see down there without going down there (or it had some other use), such a unit would be too gimmicky.

'Fog of War': Basically, be able to make it so that you can't see the map normally. You have to explore it with your buildings to reveal the terrain. Normal buildings have a short line of sight, but there is a building (let's call it a Lighthouse) with a very long line of sight. You can always see the terrain and any Nanobots, Pods, Totems, Upgrades, walls and emitters once that area has been seen once, but Creeper is invisible unless in your current line of sight, and if the above have changed, you won't know unless you see that area again. Again, more challenge, particularly with the above.

Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Blaze

Some neat ideas... I think the "lighthouse" should be like a radar and scan the entire map and update you every few seconds.

knucracker

Fog of war..... hmmmm.  That one definitely goes on the list as a possibility for the expansion.

Blaze

Well it is how the Creeper came to be. :)

UpperKEES

Regarding the 'Fog of war': bear in mind that maps are not randomly generated. They can be played a second and a third time. I would certainly make a screenshot after completing it the first time. I like the idea of exploring however!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

haloguy48

Quote from: virgilw on March 10, 2010, 11:07:28 PM
Fog of war..... hmmmm.  That one definitely goes on the list as a possibility for the expansion.

Sounds like my Nothing but void map, but much more simple! If this is implemented, I hope its changed so that buildings get X amount of Sq's seen. =D
~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on March 10, 2010, 11:07:28 PM

If you 're going to do this, then perhaps an indestructible "beacon" unit that we can place in certain places to illuminate/warn of impending creeper?

But as UKees said, the maps are static, so it's a one-time only deal. And in fact, an annoying one-time only deal, since you may have played for 15-20 minutes, then lost becasue of stuff and then you have to restart.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 11, 2010, 01:18:12 PM
an indestructible "beacon" unit that we can place in certain places to illuminate/warn of impending creeper

I like!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

djcian

you could have a building that ,kind of like what karsten said, could reveal a large amount of the map and an upgrade that increases all buildings LOS.  also mortars would not have a very high LOS  so something would have to spot the target for them.  and the drone platforms could have a version with a scouting ship.  and it would have to be optional on the map editor.
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

Twi

The replaying problem can't be helped.
I use it in all RTS with fog of war. ^_^

Twi

Several ideas added, & Tower Collector edited.

Cheesecake

Quote from: Twi on March 10, 2010, 07:22:29 PM
'Fog of War': Basically, be able to make it so that you can't see the map normally. You have to explore it with your buildings to reveal the terrain. Normal buildings have a short line of sight, but there is a building (let's call it a Lighthouse) with a very long line of sight. You can always see the terrain and any Nanobots, Pods, Totems, Upgrades, walls and emitters once that area has been seen once, but Creeper is invisible unless in your current line of sight, and if the above have changed, you won't know unless you see that area again. Again, more challenge, particularly with the above.

Uh huh, now we need smoke emitters.

Twi

That reduce line of sight into and through smoke?
Approved.

The smoking revolver

all of of this sounds nice, BUT, we need much bigger maps for this to work,like with scrolling
There is always a I in team

Twi

This is true.

I've heard several times around this site that bigger maps are in the works for the expansion.