"If this, then that" events

Started by TheBuilder, January 17, 2010, 12:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

betadata

This idea would add alot to the game so I think its a good idea.

pure speculation on my part. But if it is being considered but he is not sure if its possible or if he wants to add it to CW or put in CW2 . It would be a smart thing not to comment either way. I have tested some other games and found sometimes silence from a game dev is a good thing.  

TheBuilder

Karston75, my post was INTENDED as a bump, so when u speak of ignorance, plz stop and think.  And besides, if ur gonna criticize someone, try to be nicer about it, I don't know wat it was that I did that got u to loathe me, but it would be rather appreciated if ud just cut the crap.

Seriously, watever it was that i did to piss u off, I'M SORRY, now either post politely or go away.
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

Biglulu

I agree that this is a good idea. I've been wanting to do somthing like that in the map editor, and I've only been making maps for like...a day.

Shadow14l

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 26, 2010, 04:14:38 PM
Quote from: TheBuilder on January 26, 2010, 03:14:16 PM
you know what bothers me, this has been here for a while, and virgil hasent said anything about it yet

Yet you keep bumping this thread. If you haven't noticed, Virgil doesn't respond to all threads posted. Your arrogance is astounding. First you want it stickied so that it should stay on the top while other deserving threads stay on top by virtue of being posted to. Then you keep making inane comments while pretending it isn't a bump and even so you run out of ideas and you admit to bumping it.

While events and triggers are probably good ideas, they are complex to code and almost certainly never will get into CW as we know it now. In a future release, who knows.

I'd much rather Virgil does what we all admire him for, which is to turn out an interesting game rather than spend all his time responding to every wild idea thrown out there by every Tom, Dick and Harry.  

Please sir, do not make assumptions about areas where you have little experience in.

Events and triggers are somewhat difficult to "code" and can easily be implemented in the map maker, as events are already supported in the main version. The only real time it would take to implement this, would be to program the interface of the events and integrate with a slightly updated map reader. Even considering if this man has a very busy schedule, he could easily accomplish it, with no more than 10 days (give or take a few).

Now if you want to talk about a "wild idea", then you would be interested in an AI for the Humans, as the strategy used for this game is at a more advanced level. But technically because of the grid limitations of the maps, the ai would eventually be able to bruteforce through all of the possible choices and find all of the solutions in a relatively fast manner. For something like this, it would take several more weeks, but it would certainly be possible.

Also considering the proportional amount of actual creeper world players to the number of active people on this forum and each of their daily posts, it's an extremely high ratio (especially considering most of the users are from addictinggames and do not know about the demo or full versions of the game). It took me less than 5 minutes to read nearly all of the at least week young topics, even though I'm a fast reader, it still would not change far from that amount. So I think these people would appreciate it if you don't mini-mod the topic, especially when there is 2 real mods already conversing here. Talk about arrogance, you're a mean one, Mr. Troll ;P

UpperKEES

I've read this topic before and now see I never posted here, while I should have.

I think this idea would really improve maps (actually various scenario's would be possible within one map). It would probably add more value to the game than any additional unit (or maybe even game mode) would do.

Think about it: as a player at the start of a map you would not even be able to determine what needs to be done exactly, because you don't know what the conditions are for a certain item to appear. I would love that. Currently I'm able to plan the complete map ahead, which takes out the exploring element (but makes it easier to achieve a high score).

I know Virgil doesn't always respond (his good right), but I really hope this one is on his list for a future version.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 21, 2010, 04:07:20 PM
Think about it: as a player at the start of a map you would not even be able to determine what needs to be done exactly, because you don't know what the conditions are for a certain item to appear. I would love that. Currently I'm able to plan the complete map ahead, which takes out the exploring element (but makes it easier to achieve a high score).

As with all things in Creeper World, once you play the map, it would not be a surprise or unanticipated. Besides, any map can be opened in the map editor to understand the mechanics of it. It is no different than having delayerd emitters, etc. Certainly it will add an element of surprise, or enhance the story line, but it is still predictable - If... then... remember?

The only random thing in CW is the exact landing spot of spores.

Many players rely on this to achieve high scores.

UpperKEES

True (I gave the same argument for the Fog of War game mode), but it would certainly enhance game play the first time I play a map. When you're really after the high score you just play it another time (the second run is always faster anyways).

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 21, 2010, 04:30:41 PM
The only random thing in CW is the exact landing spot of spores.

Don't forget about the mines....

Besides that I'm not saying the if-then events add something random. It just prevents you from overviewing all possibilities at one glance and planning the whole map ahead.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Twi

@UpperKEES: Virtually every RTS I've played has fog of war despite having campaigns that can be played again.  Clearly, it doesn't detract from the value.

But then again, those had randomly generated maps...except maybe Starcraft.>_>

As for this thing, I support it wholeheartedly.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

Daos

I knew this topic had to be somewhere in the forum, so I do not have to open another :)

I would realy love to have a way to script some events (or some time-activated text) to improve the feeling of a storyline. Using artifacts for storytelling is fine, but if I want to create a story for things that happen without the interaction of the player (vulcano eruption, acid rain, etc.) a way to script some text that shows up automaticly would be great :)

If virgil is workling on CW2 it will probably not patched in CW1, but it would be fun for a mapper to have this tool in the future.