(Pseudo) Multiplayer?

Started by ItsFunToLose, January 08, 2010, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsFunToLose

I was thinking even more simplistic than some of the ideas presented.  (although I love the idea of creeper producing buildings)    Just a split screen, each player in their own solo game, broadcasting to each other in a race to the finish format.  wins/losses recorded.  simple

corgano

that could work, but it would require either the window to be much bigger or the maps to be much smaller, making past maps incompatible (although a crop map function could be written, it would just complicate things.)

Doubling the window size and having 2 instances side by side would be rather simple

Aurzel

yeah but thats not much fun is it? you're just going to be playing the map normally as if you had a timelimit

ItsFunToLose

It's about playing with friends, competing for speed, and increasing the replay value of maps that, frankly, get stale after 1 or 2 plays.

(or just flexing your creeper world skills in front of amateurs)

Aurzel

yeah i get that but i think multiplayer should be about interaction with others, not reaction to what you see someone else doing in another game

ItsFunToLose

Hence pseudo.   I was mostly  looking for a compromise between single player and the time it would take to code a fully functional interactive multi-player system

Eriy

The only problem I see with co-op is internet connections. What happens if one player has a bad internet connection, or one that fails occasionally? It is hard for a real-time game to be multiplayer'd without the right things to make sure that both players are fully connected. Just pointing this out because I can't do some multiplayer things because my internet is slow  :-X

J

Do you think about playing whith LAN???

The smoking revolver

People playing creep world are to spread out for that.You need more players.
There is always a I in team

Blaze

ONE Screen for each player. No split screen. Nuf said.  :P

And each player has a city and you can see their city and what they build real time.

For competitive play first to the totems wins. Same for tech. First come first serve. There are channels depending on your overall score you will be in one channel but there is a "Free" channel where everyone can play in. No their networks cannot connect in competitive play. Players can "Chat" in a lobby in the main channel room where you can see open game rooms. Inside a game room the two people can chat. Which ever one loses gets to see tons of creeper and spores swamp their city.  :D

Cooperative play their networks can connect, if they want to. So to say: Player Two wishes to join networks. [YES] [NO] etc. If they say yes then each city will drop out packets but only to the closer structures. If one is on a deficit then the other can pick up the slack for some time. If the networks are separated then each player must be connected to the totems. And in map editor you can choose what city has what and which can move and if they are even allowed to connect networks. When and if the networks are connected they share tech.  

Then there is Cooperative play 2 where there is only one city and one player controls civilian the other military.

I think when we have bigger maps we can have up to four players or more.  :D    

The Creep Destroyer

CRAZY MULTI PLAYER IDEA! ;p

Alright with Bigger maps, we can have like a sepecial Creeper Worlds Fan Party! Over 100 people *I hope* Playing the same HUGE MAP together thats kinda like Loki,
where Virgil controls the City and other people can choose to be Collecter Controlers *max of X* , ect
Military Controls control just one military unit, and if it dies they must wait till a new one is built. Would be epic. Downside, Virgil would spend a year making this :( or more, and laggy people would possably mess it up.
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

Aurzel

thats pretty unrealistic, and you're right, incredibly carzy
if there was a huge map though then you could comfortably have several cities working together

The Creep Destroyer

Thats another good idea ;p
11 Citys, with the Main Odin City controled by the Host of the map? Kinda like Wc3/Sc/Sc2. Also each persons stuff would be colored :P no blue sorry :(!
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

Aurzel

all those blizzard games have seperate equal players, no main city lol

Kamron3

Eh, theres only 1 way that multiplayer would work and it won't happen in CW1... ever.

_k