Main Menu

Railroad

Started by Twi, April 25, 2010, 03:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I really think the railroad idea is misguided in CW.

I have experience of railroads in Sid Meier's Civilization, than that is what I base my opinion on.

If you have long distances that you need to move resources over, then first you build a road and then you build a railroad. You control the entire stretch of track and it usually passes though friendly territory. It speeds up the delivery of units from remote manufacturing sites (cities) to areas that need them (where the war is being waged, or to another city that needs defending).

This model does not apply to CW. You can build any unit anywhere, there is no manufacturing site required. All that is needed is a connection to provide energy packets.

Units can already fly anywhere on the map, best if they fly in friendly or near-friendly territory, but anywhere. You don't need point-to-point transport so much. Generally flying patterns are all over the map. A railroad will only provide point-to-point transport. Since the battle wil move on, the railroad will become obsolete pretty fast.

IMHO, all that we need is a super-relay that can transport energy packets faster. I think a railroad will be pretty useless unless I do not understand how one propose to use this railway.

Krell

I've been thinking the same as Karsten to be honest. Rails seem relatively useless other than allowing mortars to shoot on the move, but even that doesn't seem like that big of an advantage. in the end they'd be a waste of resources and no one would use them simply because anything the rail can do you can do cheaper and likely better by hand.

Blaze

I'v Got It: Railgun! Like a high energy blaster that can only move on rails and has the AOE of a mortar.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Blaze on May 04, 2010, 10:06:06 PM
I'v Got It: Railgun!

You've played too much Quake! ;) (And so did I....)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Blaze

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 05, 2010, 06:05:43 AM
Quote from: Blaze on May 04, 2010, 10:06:06 PM
I'v Got It: Railgun!

You've played too much Quake! ;) (And so did I....)

Whats that?

UpperKEES

Quake was a FPS game from the mid 90s. The railgun was my favorite weapon:

Twi

Eh, I didn't really think it would have the best gameplay, but I thought it might be interesting.
Currently watching: ARIA, Dog Days, and other unlikely things.
And some likely things, too!

J

I think this topic is for railroads, not for railguns.

Krell

we'll compromise by making the train use the same technology and it it shall be the first railgun train.

This has possibilities...

Blaze

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 05, 2010, 10:55:26 PM
Quake was a FPS game from the mid 90s. The railgun was my favorite weapon:

Ohhh Okay. But the railguns from Armored Core will pwn that one.

Twi

Railguns, if anything, would clear a really long path through the Creeper.  :)
But back on topic, I suppose Creeper World isn't the best game for this idea, but it could be used in a game with different mechanics. The fact that energy is the only resource makes it less useful.

ssddgghh

Not as useless as you made it seem.

You could use them to send collectors/relays to connect units to the battle zone faster than you may construct them there, thus repowering your weapons earlier and reducing the likelihood of them running out of puwer and failing.

With faster movement, you also could rely only on a few mobile sanms instead of more that move less.

Twi

I hate it when SAMS fire off a zillion missiles at one Spore and waste a bunch of money...

UpperKEES

Put them further apart.... 1 SAM will only fire 1 missile per spore. Sometimes it's an advantage to put them close together, as the other missiles will target another spore (that was maybe out of range of a SAM).

Twi

I know. You have to have them overlap enough to make sure they don't slip through.