A couple of questions for Vertu

Started by Karsten75, April 21, 2022, 11:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

Well, one question really and a notification.

I looked at one of your pages and you used color code #800080 (some purple). On black backgrounds it was almost unreadable, so I took the liberty to substitute it with #c574c5 which is more visible on black backgrounds.

While there I noticed a word "Lithic".  I thought it might be a typo for "Liftic", but then considered that you might have invented a new resource. A global search through the wiki revealed that this word appears 17 times across various pages of yours. In all instances it appears to be a typo. If you wish , I can do a global change and fix them all in one operation, sparing you the work to find them and replace them.

Interesting enough, "Lithic" is a valid word, whereas "Liftic" is not and thus no spell-checker will flag the typo. Autocorrect, in some cases, might even have caused the typos.

The Apocalyptic

I have wondered about that myself. I am of the understanding that "Lithic" is basically Liftic Version 1.5

As for the autocorrect stuff, "Lithic" means "Related to stone".

The Apocalyptic

I do have a few questions of my own for Vertu, however. The first question is: How do I place the Marker for the VDS Cpack in the editor?

Vertu

Quote from: Karsten75 on April 21, 2022, 11:57:08 AM
Well, one question really and a notification.

I looked at one of your pages and you used color code #800080 (some purple). On black backgrounds it was almost unreadable, so I took the liberty to substitute it with #c574c5 which is more visible on black backgrounds.

While there I noticed a word "Lithic".  I thought it might be a typo for "Liftic", but then considered that you might have invented a new resource. A global search through the wiki revealed that this word appears 17 times across various pages of yours. In all instances it appears to be a typo. If you wish , I can do a global change and fix them all in one operation, sparing you the work to find them and replace them.

Interesting enough, "Lithic" is a valid word, whereas "Liftic" is not and thus no spell-checker will flag the typo. Autocorrect, in some cases, might even have caused the typos.
Oh dang. My sincere apologies'.
I have a high self standard so these only happened because from my point of view, the issue couldn't be seen. I put a lot of effort and try my best to make sure issues/mistakes like this don't occur or develop.

So the case of the color of the text: "<REDACTED>"; on my monitor it was easy to see. But I am very confidant now thanks to this being brought to my attention, that this was only the case due to the fact my monitor is 4k and the deep purple color wouldn't merge with darkish backgrounds. Along with possibly how my monitor displays color may be different to the usual. I might make the text more purple from what it is now but I will be sure to keep this heavily in mind. This also means I will be sticking to a brighter-blue text in my VPAC maps from now on.

The case of Lithic is simple, the T in "Liftic" is merged with the F in my mind, with the only discernable feature of the letter after F being a hard-to-see curved line at the bottom that's so small on my monitor I can't actually see it, only know it's there. I don't associate a lowercase T as having a curved tail at its end so it turns into an "h". Even now when I am told it's LIFTIC, the T is still an h and LITHIC is seen. Also "Lithic" sounded and felt nice where as the T in Liftic feels somewhat abruptive, reinforcing it as Lithic. Then there is also spell check as I assumed that "Lithic" "is a word" because the wiki uses it as one to great end and had context that could of been implemented in the spell check for all I knew.
I would like you to do the global change but I am unsure what will stop me from typing Lithic besides the fact it doesn't have a red underline from spellcheck. Which might be enough but I can't guarantee.

Quote from: The Apocalyptic on April 23, 2022, 11:02:31 AM
I do have a few questions of my own for Vertu, however. The first question is: How do I place the Marker for the VDS Cpack in the editor?
You copy the script that wants to be copied into a new 4RPL console script. When you edit the script you can set the height you want to put the Info Cashe (or really any selected unit) and upon doing this, the console script will add the marker. The height control is done manually as I would rather not need to press a button(s) many times to lower or raise it at limited intervals.
Just have the script run in the console after InfoCashe(s) are selected. I don't remember if it's in :Once, if not then don't click "Run", click "Run Once".

I also noticed I can't edit my old posts anymore. Has there been a change? I very much enjoyed being able to edit the main part of my CPack posts and create a reply stating the changes while keeping the main area up-to-date so no one needs to scroll down the patch notes to get the latest version.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

The Apocalyptic

Yeah. Posts can no longer be edited after 30 minutes since the original posting.

Also, for some reason, the VDS can't be put in any player menu other than "Special", even if I attempt to set it as a different one. The changes won't save between the different loadings, even if I hit "Apply Changes" and save the map before loading. How do I change that?

Edit:

Never mind. I figured it out. Just had to change ALL of the Set(ModPlayerMenuName()) functions to 4 instead of 3.