Custom Map: Nice Job 25: The Developer

Started by AutoPost, July 11, 2010, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 25: The Developer

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
The last map in the Nice Job series and dedicated to a developer we all know: Virgil Wall.

Ever considered creating your own game? This map will take you through the six phases of the software development life cycle.

Probably the nicest job in the (creeper) world, but also one of the hardest.

Karsten75

Wow, couldn't wait for that game to be over, could you? Commiserations.

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 25: The Developer
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
The last map in the Nice Job series and dedicated to a developer we all know: Virgil Wall.

Ever considered creating your own game? This map will take you through the six phases of the software development life cycle.

Probably the nicest job in the (creeper) world, but also one of the hardest.

Description:
*** This map is dedicated to Virgil Wall, the one and only developer of Creeper World and a very nice person. Many thanks for creating such a unique and great game! ***

After attempting 24 jobs you give it one more try. Because you always loved gaming, but weren't able to make money out of this (see NJ-17: The Gamer), you decided to become a developer of computer games.

However developing games is not just coding and creating nice graphics. You'll have to go through the complete development life cycle. This map will show you how it works.

You will have to go through the following phases:
1. Analysis
2. Design
3. Implementation
4. Testing
5. Deployment
6. Maintenance

During each phase you will have to think about your customers/users/players. If you don't, your project is doomed. Also don't forget it's a development life cycle; when not executed correctly you're back at square one. Now, let's make a game!

Download page:
Nice Job 25: The Developer
Full size screen shot:

More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 11, 2010, 05:17:33 PM
Wow, couldn't wait for that game to be over, could you? Commiserations.

I've seen better games to be honest. Of course there was a lot of tension and I hoped for a better result, but Spain deserved to win. Too bad, we lost 3 World Cup finals now.... :(

The good thing is that we still have CW! ;D

Link327

I don't like it,because I can't make the first sep there. The creeper has destroyed the reactors and I couldn't do anything out of looking.
And you can't build a blaster at the position of the reactor,so you can't defend yourself.
How making this?
Link327

UpperKEES

Spoiler
If the creeper has destroyed the reactors you waited too long with building a blaster, so I suggest you do this a little sooner. ;)
[close]

Don't forget this is an Expert Only map; solutions are not always obvious. If you still need help after a couple of tries, please let me know.

Link327

I've built a blaster,but it had not enough range to attack the creepers that is destroying the reactors.
Link327

UpperKEES

Spoiler
So you might want to move it.... or build a second one. :)
[close]

F0R

i built 2 blasters you have to air juggle one

UpperKEES

That's a possibility, but I didn't juggle anything.

Spoiler
I just built everything in the appropriate order. Of course a blaster can be temporarily disconnected from the network, but that won't be news to experts.... ;)
[close]

F0R

i build a blaster where the artifact is

UpperKEES

That's a good start. But then? (I won't give it all away from the start, but I will help out with specific questions.)

snowmaker (JM)

This is quite the puzzle. Got to 7 minutes and lost a pod after a few restarts. Very nice map  :)

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 11, 2010, 09:31:48 PM
This is quite the puzzle.

Yeah, I tried to combine almost every aspect of the game into 1 map. A puzzle element, energy management, lay-out planning, blaster assaults, pod rescues, etc.

No bridging required however for people who wonder (as for all of my maps).

The only thing I couldn't include were mortars, because it would be too easy to influence other sections (phases) with them, as they are able to shoot over the crazonium walls.

Got to 7 minutes

That's half way! :) The first section will definitely take most of your time (because of the energy build up). The implementation phase might also be a bit tough.

lost a pod after a few restarts.

Yep, you have to keep an eye on them. You have a certain margin, but better hoover that mouse pointer over the creeper levels in section 5 occasionally....

Very nice map  :)

Thanks!

snowmaker (JM)

Thought I would put up my first score even though it was poor. I forgot to connect the top right totem in the second section... ugh... and had to wait for that. Maybe one of these days I will be more patient with my energy production  ;D