Custom Map #2972: Next Step 6

Started by AutoPost, March 17, 2019, 08:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2972: Next Step 6

Author: Binz

Desc:
Caution: very hard and time-consuming map. Have you brought Xanax?

Binz

I'm planning to upload a walkthrough video once there are 10 clears on the scoreboard.

CAUTION
-----------

Due to what I suspect is a bug, you can't finish this map unless all drone gateways are destroyed!
In test runs I've done where I didn't do so, the game froze!

Karsten75

I seem to recollect that it was always thus that one had to destroy all enemy structures and creeper for completion, unless the objective was a pick-up. Not having played this map, I don't know which of the above conditions it uses as completion.

Binz

Quote from: Karsten75 on March 21, 2019, 11:31:19 AM
I seem to recollect that it was always thus that one had to destroy all enemy structures and creeper for completion, unless the objective was a pick-up. Not having played this map, I don't know which of the above conditions it uses as completion.

Hi Karsten,

This is an obliteration map.

In my previous experience, when you kill a creeper nexus in an obliteration map, you're supposed to win the game. A nexus that explodes will take down all remaining creeper emitters and gateways on the map, thus meeting the victory requirement in that moment. Even if the objective is acquisition, if the things you're supposed to collect are destroyed because they're in the nexus' blast radius, you win the mission. I took advantage of this feature in one of my previous maps, which contained an unobtainable holocube. The only way to win was precisely to let the nexus destroy the holocube in question. This mechanism, however, doesn't seem to apply to bunkers and capsules. Destroying those leads to mission failure under any circumstance.

So in this map, what happened was that after the nexus was killed, the game just continued regularly. Although all enemy units on the map were destroyed, time kept ticking, I could build units and freely move the ship around, but no victory dialogue or end of game sequence occurred. Maybe 'the game freezes' isn't the most accurate wording.

I retried, and this time used nullifiers to kill the remaining gateways around the nexus before destroying it, and tada, victory achieved. I'll see if I can reproduce this situation and record a video of it, if I find the time and willingness to replay this thing ('cause even I have to admit it's bit of a pain in the a**  ::) ).

talitmari

I always loved your maps, but this one is really hard to even start. I wonder if you can help me out a bit (placed question in spoiler)
Spoiler
I seem to come short a few seconds to be able to save the shield just above the ship. It seems like removing the ground on top of the ship (with the creeper in it) should be a priority, otherwise the ship blows. but I cant seem to manage my time and energy well enough to delete that ground and its creeper, as well as the two blocks on the way to the shield. Am I missing something or am I just not being fast enough about it?
[close]

Binz

Quote from: talitmari on March 22, 2019, 06:01:59 AM
I always loved your maps, but this one is really hard to even start. I wonder if you can help me out a bit (placed question in spoiler)

Hi Talitmari,

The timeframe is very tight indeed. In order to even make it through the first few seconds alive, you should pay attention to three points in particular.

Spoiler

1) Phantom coils. Set them to 'disconnected' right away. Otherwise, they'll use up energy you desperately need for other things.

2) The four blocks behind the Liberation Ship. The gateway with the dig packets by itself is simply not fast enough to break the blocks in time. You need help from the Liberation Ship. But you can't mark these blocks for excavation by just clicking on them, because if you do, your cursor will select the Liberation Ship instead. The trick is to click on another block, then hold your mouse, and then drag your mouse across. This will put red crosses on all the blocks; also the ones behind the Liberation Ship. The combined effort of the gateway and your own energy packets will break the blocks in time. But all of this happens at a very tight energy budget, so you also need to consider point 3:

3) Timing. Clicking the right blocks at the right time is important.

Select immediately at mission start:
- the red crystal;
- the green crystal;
- the two blocks below the green crystal.

Select when the phantom timer hits 0 seconds:
- the two blocks towards the mirror, and the four blocks behind the Liberation Ship. Do this in one sweep because of what I explained above.
[close]

With this technique, you should be able to save both the Liberation Ship, all of the bunkers, and the shield.
Good luck!

talitmari

Quote from: Binz on March 22, 2019, 11:54:05 AM
Quote from: talitmari on March 22, 2019, 06:01:59 AM

Hi Talitmari,

The timeframe is very tight indeed. In order to even make it through the first few seconds alive, you should pay attention to three points in particular.

Spoiler

1) Phantom coils. Set them to 'disconnected' right away. Otherwise, they'll use up energy you desperately need for other things.

2) The four blocks behind the Liberation Ship. The gateway with the dig packets by itself is simply not fast enough to break the blocks in time. You need help from the Liberation Ship. But you can't mark these blocks for excavation by just clicking on them, because if you do, your cursor will select the Liberation Ship instead. The trick is to click on another block, then hold your mouse, and then drag your mouse across. This will put red crosses on all the blocks; also the ones behind the Liberation Ship. The combined effort of the gateway and your own energy packets will break the blocks in time. But all of this happens at a very tight energy budget, so you also need to consider point 3:

3) Timing. Clicking the right blocks at the right time is important.

Select immediately at mission start:
- the red crystal;
- the green crystal;
- the two blocks below the green crystal.

Select when the phantom timer hits 0 seconds:
- the two blocks towards the mirror, and the four blocks behind the Liberation Ship. Do this in one sweep because of what I explained above.
[close]

With this technique, you should be able to save both the Liberation Ship, all of the bunkers, and the shield.
Good luck!

That helped a lot!
Spoiler
Can't believe I didn't think about trying to see if the second gate would help with digging. After a bit of trying with your notes I worked it out. Had to tweak the timing of the two blockers at the phantom time a little bit, but now have 2.68 health left on my shield :)
[close]

Binz

Since we're 10 days since the upload now and there hasn't been a single clear yet, I've decided to share the sooner that I'd previously announced.

drstuey

Grrr I'd just like to say that I did it without watching the video

Binz

Quote from: drstuey on March 30, 2019, 08:55:02 AM
Grrr I'd just like to say that I did it without watching the video

And the first clear as well!
Welcome into the hall of awesomeness.

a

It was very difficult. I was constantly in a stalemate. I had to make 500 save games and decompose them into different folders in order to constantly go back. You need to be a brilliant level designer to make such a level in such an inconvenient editor.

One and a half people play this game. You need to love this game even more than me, to make so much effort.

Binz

Quote from: a on April 01, 2019, 12:09:20 AM
It was very difficult. I was constantly in a stalemate. I had to make 500 save games and decompose them into different folders in order to constantly go back.

Not only did you finish it, but your clear time is incredible. Talk about dedication!
Welcome to the hall of fame, I hope the satisfaction was worth the trouble.

wbxshiori

Aside from Binz himself, I'm the 3rd one submitting my score. I didn't care about the score, so I put out the gate under the nexus before sacrificing the reactors on the rightmost wall.
There was a mysterious 1x1 AC field at (4,52) which almost got me before I sealed it.  The field disappears after a while, but I don't know why.
Spoiler

I never knew blasted drones can remove AC inside the wall until I played this.  It's the key to solve the last gate puzzle.
[close]

Binz

Quote from: wbxshiori on May 03, 2019, 11:51:52 AM
Aside from Binz himself, I'm the 3rd one submitting my score. I didn't care about the score, so I put out the gate under the nexus before sacrificing the reactors on the rightmost wall.
There was a mysterious 1x1 AC field at (4,52) which almost got me before I sealed it.  The field disappears after a while, but I don't know why.

I think this is the kind of map where scores don't really matter. It's so hard that if you can finish it at all, in any way, that says enough. So well done!
The "mysterious" field you're talking about is mentioned in one of the dialogue boxes. It is meant to flip at some point and cause havoc if you don't keep an eye on it. The field disappears when the mission timer hits 60 minutes.

Quote from: wbxshiori on May 03, 2019, 11:51:52 AM
Spoiler

I never knew blasted drones can remove AC inside the wall until I played this.  It's the key to solve the last gate puzzle.
[close]

Glad you learned something new!
Part of the reason that I do these maps is to explore how the game works in-depth, so other map makers perhaps find inspiration to get creative!