Custom Map #41: Island Attack. By: Zimmer

Started by AutoPost, September 18, 2016, 03:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #41: Island Attack

Author: Zimmer
Size: 256x144

Desc:
Omnis will help attack islands when you don't have the energy to proceed otherwise.

mzimmer74

Wanted to give map making a shot in PF and thought it turned out okay.  Not a super hard map by an means.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

thejoe66

I don't know if i'm missing something, but I cant beat this map. I simply can't get to the emitters further back, there's too many partials for me to get them. I tried raming them with my ships to make room for the ships that destroy emitters and build mines, I tried sending all my omnis on the island with a energy mine, nothing works. Some help in how to beat this level would be greatly appreciated.
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion

Karsten75

Quote from: thejoe66 on September 18, 2016, 10:52:46 PM
I don't know if i'm missing something, but I cant beat this map. I simply can't get to the emitters further back, there's too many partials for me to get them. I tried raming them with my ships to make room for the ships that destroy emitters and build mines, I tried sending all my omnis on the island with a energy mine, nothing works. Some help in how to beat this level would be greatly appreciated.

Guess you might be.

Spoiler
Don't directly attack the particles. First take out the ship spaners (like most objectives in this game, the runs will relut in uniit loss). THen while leaving as many particles intact as possible, take out the emitter. The land-locked emitter requires a suicide run by all 10 Omnis
[close]

mzimmer74

Here are some of the methods I used to beat it:
Omnis:
Spoiler

These are key and are actually the main way I anticipated beating the map.  Thus, make sure you have every omni update in the techs.  Also, and it sounds like you may have done this, use the omnis to take out any emitters they can reach from the island.  You won't have much hope using the ships.  A lot of the time you'll send them to an island to die, but they'll also take out the emitters.
[close]

Another huge key - "unused" techs
Spoiler

Rock Burner Tech.  I actually designed this specifically because I was never using the rock burner tech.  The bottom right island has a large flip emitter in it.  Use your omnis to flip the emitter and use the other things on the island.  Once the middle is full of blue particles, use rock burner to remove part of the island to whatever direction you want to send the particles.  I'd also recommend investing in emitter control tech so you can aim it.
The amount of blue particles coming out will help you take over the other islands and can overpower the large emitter in the north.
[close]

Hope those help.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Karsten75

Wow, I didn't do that. I was planning to use that tech, but I won (albeit slower than you) before I got to do it.

mzimmer74

I've been intrigued with the idea of non-standard battles for a while.  Thinking of creating a map where all you have are omnis and things like that.  This was a precursor to that which is why I gave some ships.  Still though, didn't really want it to be a mass attack with ships but had to give enough ships to make it possible. :)

Karsten75

Actually, I hardly used most of the ships. One way to speed up my time will be to build fewer ships if I play again.

D0m0nik

Just discovered the Exchange maps, great to see so many player creations. Should start to really open up the game play and some new techniques will no doubt be discovered.

Spoiler
I also used the rock burner tech to turn the bottom right into a huge weapon, it was very impressive and allowed the lathes to sneak in on an otherwise tricky emitter.
[close]

GoodMorning

Non-standard challenge: 'When all you have is a Hammer...'
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

thejoe66

Well I beat it  :) This definitely opened my eyes on way's to play this game so that's good. Can't wait to keep playing these amazing missions.
"Humanity is probably the only animal capable of hating itself."-The end of Evangelion