Weekly 5-map history theme tournament - overview, rules & rankings

Started by UpperKEES, September 06, 2010, 04:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

After playing the History - Assassinations tournament (an idea by RandyTravis), I thought it would be nice to play such a tournament each week with a different theme. It has to be possible to link each theme to at least 5 events on specific dates in history.

Rules:
Every competitor will have until Sunday evening at midnight (forum time*) to set the best scores/times for these 5 maps, all linked together by their common theme, so there's no need to subscribe; just start playing! The winner (best total score) gets to pick a new theme from the list of proposed themes by the community in this topic and publish the dates to be played before Monday evening at midnight (forum time). This will ensure the winner doesn't have a major advantage and also makes sure that every player has 6 days to participate. Last weeks winner is also responsible for determining next weeks winner by calculating/checking the total scores. Each tournament will have its own topic where players can post scores and discuss their progress. See the posting tips & guidelines for the winner of a tournament.

Please note:
- It is not allowed for the same player to submit scores with different names. If done so, both names will be disqualified.
- When two players have the same total score, the best total time wins.
- When two players have the same total score and the same total time, the amount of individual #1 spots counts, followed by the amount of #2 spots, etc.
- When the tournament has been won by the same player as last week the runner up (#2) will pick the next theme to ensure themes & maps will be picked by different people.
- When this runner up already picked last weeks theme (same top 2 twice), the number three will pick the theme + maps
- When this number three already picked last weeks theme (same top 3 three times), the winner will pick the theme + maps again

When you like this idea just post useful themes in this topic so the winner of the history tournament can pick the next theme. Dates/maps related to a certain theme shouldn't have been played before by anybody participating. Themes that not have been chosen will remain candidates for future weeks. I will keep this initial post up-to-date with a list of nominated themes and winners of kept tournaments.

Proposed themes so far:

• Starting dates of major wars
  • Death dates of great conquerors
  • Signing of important peace treaties
  • Birthdays of famous pop stars (subcategories: Radiohead, pop, rock, dance, disco, etc.)
  • Birthdays of famous actors (subcategories: Star Trek, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, etc.)
  • Birthdays of famous game developers
  • Birthdays of famous authors (subcategories: sci-fi, horror, fantasy, etc.)
  • Birthdays of famous composers (subcategories: classical, C-64, pop music, etc.)
  • Birthdays of famous painters
  • Birthdays of rich people
  • Birthdays of Notable Fighter Aces
  • Birthdays of famous scientists (subcategories: math, physics, astronomy, biology, chemistry, geology, computer science, etc.)
  • Impressive achievements in sports (subcategories: olympics, athletics, soccer, baseball, tennis, cycling, world championships, running WR's, etc.)
  • Major natural disasters (subcategories: volcanic eruptions, tornado's, earthquakes, floods, plagues, etc.)
  • Finishing date of major landmarks (subcategories: tall buildings, famous buildings, bridges, statues, etc.)
  • Terrorist attacks
  • Nuclear Explosions
  • Riots
  • Assassinations
  • Discoveries (i.e. electricity, atoms, etc.)
  • Einstein's Miracle Year
  • Major inventions (subcategories: medical, electrical, household, transportation, computer, programming languages, etc.)
  • First steps (i.e. moon, space, poles, etc.)
  • Explorations
  • Wikipedia
  • National independence days
  • Colonizations
  • Admission of American States to the union
  • Creeper World patch release dates
  • Release dates of #1 custom maps in the toplist
  • Appearances of Halley's Comet
  • Dates the world was said to end
  • The Concorde supersonic passenger air plane
  • Extra-solar events (i.e. Voyager arriving somewhere, our radio broadcasts arriving at a particular star system)
  • Commissioning dates of the 'USS Enterprise'
  • Your proposed theme will go here

Tournament table

#

Theme

Closing date
Winning
score
Winning
time

1st place

2nd place

3rd place

Assassinations
September 12, 2010
11:16
UpperKEESSqazFisherck
Deadliest volcanic eruptions
September 19, 2010
22:06
UpperKEESAlwegoFisherck
Computer (game) inventions
September 26, 2010
32:33
UpperKEESAlwegoFisherck
Richest people
October 3, 2010
16:35
UpperKEESFisherckAlwego
Math/physics/astronomy scientists
October 10, 2010
20:59
UpperKEESctunaKatra
Notable Fighter Aces of the World
October 17, 2010
09:59
UpperKEESctunaFisherck
World Records for Running Events
October 24, 2010
15:29
SicclesUpperKEESctuna
Really tall buildings
October 31, 2010
13:44
UpperKEEShiKatra
Einstein's Miracle Year (1905)
November 7, 2010
16:27
ctunaColinKatra
Original Star Trek Crew
November 14, 2010
11:08
Kapoioshictuna
Radiohead
November 21, 2010
13:43
KapoioshiColin
Nuclear Explosions
November 28, 2010
18:04
hiColinKapoios
Halley's Comet
December 5, 2010
22:33
Colinhictuna
Concorde
December 12, 2010
20:17
UpperKEEShictuna
Great Conquerors
December 19, 2010
18:36
hictunaKatra
Wikipedia
December 26, 2010
.. : ..
January 2, 2011
January 9, 2011
January 16, 2011
January 23, 2011

Medal table (ranked by total amount of points: gold = 4, silver = 2, bronze = 1)

Rank

Player
Gold
medals
Silver
medals
Bronze
medals
Total
medals
Number of
participations
Total

1.UpperKEES
2.hi
3.ctuna
4.Kapoios
Colin
6.Fisherck
7.Alwego
8.Siccles
Katra
10.Sqaz

Total:

* Forum time (GMT/UTC minus 5 hours) is used to record your scores. When you hover your mouse pointer over a score in the leaderboard for a certain map you'll see the time this score has been submitted. Midnight sharp (0:00:00) is the deadline every Sunday evening, no exceptions!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fisherck

My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

You name it! (And pick it if you win the Assassinions tournament, which is still open until RandyTravis decides it's done; I can't determine that for him.)

Katra

I'm interested. I propose major natural disasters as a possible theme.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Karsten75

We could also simply have a parallel competition for the player with  5 fastest maps in any week... or the Monday-Friday maps for any and every week.   

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 06, 2010, 10:52:37 PM
We could also simply have a parallel competition for the player with  5 fastest maps in any week... or the Monday-Friday maps for any and every week.   

Sure, but I like the concept of a theme competition.

Quote from: Katra on September 06, 2010, 09:36:54 PM
I'm interested. I propose major natural disasters as a possible theme.

Added.

Fisherck

Lets see...
. Dates major landmarks finished, like a nations capitol, the statue of liberty, and the eiffel tower.
. Terrorist attacks. 9/11 is not the only one.
. Major inventions, like the light bulb, or the internet. Though I do not think we can find a specific date for the invention of the wheel. ;D
. Firsts. This can be like the date of the first person to reach the south pole, or when the first person walked on the moon. This can even be divided up into specific categories, like space, exploration, or many other things.

Well, thats all I got, or at least all the time I have to think.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Fisherck on September 07, 2010, 10:46:49 PM
. Dates major landmarks finished, like a nations capitol, the statue of liberty, and the eiffel tower.
. Terrorist attacks. 9/11 is not the only one.
. Firsts. This can be like the date of the first person to reach the south pole, or when the first person walked on the moon. This can even be divided up into specific categories, like space, exploration, or many other things.

Added.

. Major inventions, like the light bulb, or the internet. Though I do not think we can find a specific date for the invention of the wheel. ;D

I thought of this one myself, but I wasn't sure if the dates of many mayor inventions are known or can be deduced to one specific date. Added anyway, because I'm sure we can find 5 inventions with a date attached to them and the theme is too nice to not be used.

Well, thats all I got, or at least all the time I have to think.

Thanks for your contributions! :)

Pyxis_GeeK

What about years that your favorite team won something? Like the World Cup for Soccer(football), the World Series for Baseball, the Super Bowl for American Football. I know there are alot of europeans here so the american sports may not do much for yall. Just a thought.

UpperKEES

I guess that would go under 'Impressive achievements in sports', but I would choose a theme that appeals to all players, so I wouldn't tie it to a certain team.

Pyxis_GeeK

I overlooked that in the initial list. My apologies. :)

Katra

The invention of the wheel would be out of Chronom range anyway. As in BC... ;)

Dates states were admitted to the union would be another good theme.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

UpperKEES

After winning the assassinations tournament (see here), I've selected the theme for next weeks tournament: deadliest volcanic eruptions.

UpperKEES

After winning the deadliest volcanic eruptions tournament (see here), I've selected the theme for next weeks tournament: computer (game) inventions.

I suggest that if I win this tournament as well (3 consecutive times) the runner up (#2) will pick next weeks theme, so themes will come from different people.

Blaze