Custom Map #2342: Infernal Debt (Credit to CS Z). By: TrickyCorp

Started by AutoPost, September 16, 2021, 11:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2342: Infernal Debt (Credit to CS Z)

Author: TrickyCorp
Size: 224x140

TrickyPlayer

Please tell me if you can somehow still abuse some part of the scripts. They may not be originally made by me, but I can still try to make small changes if required. Please also inform me of any bugs. They won't be fixed by me probably but CS Z might consider fixing it in their version.

Known bugs:
-Selling all wares at once removes all wares of that type even if there's not enough debt left to remove.
-I'm awesome. Of course, this ain't a bug, but still noticeable while playing the map.

Strategy stuff:
You are struggling to pay off your debt, while simultaneously trying to hold off the creeper. If you're determined to win this map but need a bit of help, consider this: The map will be a lot easier if you are only facing one issue at a time. Is there a way to postphone one of the problems you face?
Spoiler
That hint points at using terps btw, create some high walls so that the creeper won't flow into your base, then let the creeper cap do it's thing while you ignore the creeper. As long as you didn't overbuy too much stuff, you should be able to pay off your debt. Don't forget to prepare against the spores near the 15 minute mark if you didn't do that already though, for that can cause a lot of damage! Same for eggs at 12 minute mark (don't bring snipers for them though unless you wanna cause your demise) and the air sacs 30 minutes in must be dealt with in a reasonable amount of time too. The other threats are either too small to be a problem or can just be contained.
[close]
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

InwardChaos

Very fun map, though it took me 4 attempts to finally beat it.

First attempt died to getting overrun by creeper, while the second and third attempts died to interest dropping my generation to 0 and the principal still increasing.

I used a strategy where I used the insta-build to construct my network to the north-eastern plateau, where a trio of mortars can lock down the 50 emitter. Nullifying the spore and blob nests was next, then I built a line of defenses along the shadow area. Once the defenses were up, I focused on cleaning up my debt, which you need to not be overdrafted when the interest kicks in. Shutting down cannons and mortars for a few seconds can give you a quick boost to reducing your debt, which reduces the interest penalty.
From there, once the debt was paid, all I had to do was clear out the rest of the map. Getting a pair of erned missiles on the northern plateau in the shadow (requires 2 beacons to reach)  with a rift or porter box for resupply, completely shut down the air sacs.

CS Z

Completely doable in a little over 17 minutes.  I had the spore launcher, two of the emitters, the blob nest, and the skimmer factory all nullified in just the first couple of minutes and the debt completely paid off long before reaching the end.  I thought about getting the Airship but ultimately decided against doing that.

Spoiler
The key to a fast win is to keep to limited tech and insta-build towers like crazy that are mostly optimized for 121 soylent.  Build enough cannons around the nearby standard emitter (50 every 0.5) and fully power them instantly to contain that emitter until you can afford the nullifier blueprint.  The other emitter isn't as big a threat.  In general, run right up against the GEN credit limit cap (I hung around -38 GEN) for the first 3-4 minutes to occupy and secure as much of the map as possible (i.e. everything that's not covered by the dark tower).  After that, it's just a matter of paying off enough debt to buy Mortars, one sprayer, Miners, the ERN Portal, a few ERNs, the Refinery, and start getting beacons up.  Sell AC/Arg often.  Won't really need AC other than to kickstart the flip breeder in the upper left and upper right.  Liftic is kind of needed for making around a half-dozen beacons but can be useful to pay off a good chunk of debt as well.  If the dark tower wasn't there, it would be possible to nullify everything in about 2-3 minutes.
[close]

Nice pun in the title.  :)

EricPhail

My observations (as a Mediocre player) ouch very much a fine line between victory and endless debt spiral I have no idea how the terp sttrat is designed to work

Couple of thoughte The system needs a way to auto sell arg, ac and liftic automatically, would allow players to maybe survive (just) in the edge case where insta selling would beat out an interest deficit

Also 1 Bug to report (someone esle probably has said this already) but it is possilbe to buy premium items to negative stock provided you have available credit

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: EricPhail on September 19, 2021, 01:53:34 AM
My observations (as a Mediocre player) ouch very much a fine line between victory and endless debt spiral I have no idea how the terp sttrat is designed to work

Couple of thoughts The system needs a way to auto sell arg, ac and liftic automatically, would allow players to maybe survive (just) in the edge case where insta selling would beat out an interest deficit

Also 1 Bug to report (someone esle probably has said this already) but it is possilbe to buy premium items to negative stock provided you have available credit
It's not my script so I don't know if I can fix it, and even if I could, I have no interest in making another map with the script so I'm not going to. About the terp strat, the way I went through this map was by walling off the creeper, therefore making it so that I only have to deal with the debt without any additional energy spendings. Apparently it's not needed.

Auto sell should be an option indeed but again I'm not looking through 1000 lines of code to see where I can fit it.
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

CS Z

Quote from: TrickyPlayer on September 19, 2021, 02:10:01 AM
Quote from: EricPhail on September 19, 2021, 01:53:34 AM

Couple of thoughts The system needs a way to auto sell arg, ac and liftic automatically, would allow players to maybe survive (just) in the edge case where insta selling would beat out an interest deficit

It's not my script so I don't know if I can fix it, and even if I could, I have no interest in making another map with the script so I'm not going to. About the terp strat, the way I went through this map was by walling off the creeper, therefore making it so that I only have to deal with the debt without any additional energy spendings. Apparently it's not needed.

Auto sell should be an option indeed but again I'm not looking through 1000 lines of code to see where I can fit it.

I'll have to look into that bug.  Being able to buy unlimited ERNs ahead of schedule is generally a problem.

It shouldn't be too hard to add an autosell toggle.  I think such a feature should autosell if over some reasonable threshold (e.g. 20)...that way things can still be built and powered as needed.

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: CS Z on September 19, 2021, 03:41:50 AM
It shouldn't be too hard to add an autosell toggle.  I think such a feature should autosell if over some reasonable threshold (e.g. 20)...that way things can still be built and powered as needed.
Maybe make it so that the player can set that threshold themselves? Would be nice IMO