Custom Map #1000: Map #1K: Multitask!

Started by AutoPost, April 02, 2012, 05:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1000: Map #1K: Multitask!

Author: MapMod Community

Desc:
Do you think you have what it takes to beat the ultimate multitask map? If so try now! This map is built to honor the CW2 map comunity reaching 1K. Thanks to all who helped out. Map made by: TP, Ebon, lich, CobraKill, Eudrick, Fisherck, and J. Background Image provided by: MadMag

Ebon Heart

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

TonyP2000

Dito, before I even know what was going on, I already had a microrift to room destroyed...
Vote Tony!

eudrick

Sadly. I ALSO can't seem to beat it.  The player community should take heart in the fact that not all the Map Moderators are 'Whiz Bang' players.  :P  But as map designers we do seem to have an evil streak.   :D

If YOU do post a score it'll place you among the elite.
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

snowmaker (JM)

There are definitely certain rooms to deal with first, then others will take precedence. But that is what a multitask map is supposed to do. Very fun map  :)

Fisherck

I will go through this map again, and try to make a detailed analysis on how I did it. Ironically, the only contributing MapMod who has beat this map (currently) probably has the easiest section. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Katra

Mine is not a particularly fast time; but I will post some hints as to how I handled each section.

Spoiler
Top: Three blasters kept the creeper back to nullify the emitter. Once nullified finish clearing out the leftover creeper and send the blasters to defenses in other sections.

Second section (TP): No immediate threat; add a launcher or two to keep creeper pressure down when you can afford to. Actually clearing section should wait; took massed blasters, makers, and launchers.

Third section (Ebon): You have 3 minutes to defend the micro rift. I surrounded the micro rift plus one space with shields and built a maker in that extra space. Added blasters as soon as they were available (from top section) then another maker and more blasters as soon as I could afford it. This section was the one that gave me the most trouble.

4th section (Lich 98): No threat to micro rift: snag the crystals fairly early. Then one blaster and a shield lets you take out the entombed creeper in the dig marked ground. Once you have three cleared destroy your shield, add another blaster and open. (Better to wait until you have a bunch of extra blasters to send in; though five did hold off the drones.)

5th section (Cobra Kill): Your best defense is a good offense. Start clearing some of the creeper in pin fields as soon as you can afford a couple blasters. Once you have cleared sufficient space within the pin field area build a micro rift there; the creeper won't reach it. Continue clearing space until you have enough to get several launchers in for a full scale attack. (There is entombed creeper in the center ground; but again the pin fields are your friends.)

6th section: Dig up and right; place a blaster near the right side gateway ASAP. Place a maker set to vacuum beside the AC emitter at the right at the same time as you start building your maker for third section; this is the best source for AC. Build three more blasters immediately left of the micro rift. When you can afford more blasters start by digging between gateways and AC emitters and nullify gateways. (don't worry about the AC emitters; they have 3 health.) A bunch of blasters will clear the oscillating creeper; then nullify emitters. (Also 3 health.)

7th section (Fisherck): No threat; send in blasters and launchers when you have weapons/power to spare. I did dig out a couple handy build spaces for reactors early on.

8th section: Minimal threat. Build/send in launchers when you have weapons/power to spare.

Bottom section: Build a shield wall before the creeper guns start firing; add at least 1 blaster with shield wall to stop drones; a few blasters, 1 launcher, and a maker ASAP thereafter.
[close]

The real trick is to get your defenses up fast enough without missing something or running out of power...
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Katra on April 03, 2012, 01:27:14 PM
Third section (Ebon): You have 3 minutes to defend the micro rift. I surrounded the micro rift plus one space with shields and built a maker in that extra space. Added blasters as soon as they were available (from top section) then another maker and more blasters as soon as I could afford it. This section was the one that gave me the most trouble.
I may have gone a little overboard with my section.... I probably should have made sure there wasn't a real threat until about 5 minutes in. :P

J

My section only asks some energy the first minutes, creeper density will decrease as long as you're killing the creeper coming out of the gun. In ebon's section I used some launchers to kill the creeper inside the lines (can suck other creeper into it) and some blasters for the creeper coming through. Once the lines are gone it's pretty easy. I think the hardest part is just to survive the first 5-10 minutes.

Katra

If you get your defense set up in time you can take your time to clean out the various sections.

I replayed for a better score; and found that

1. A partly charged maker works at least as well as blasters for the top section.
2. If you get a maker and 2 or 3 blasters into the Ebon Heart section soon enough the shields are not needed. (I didn't put a launcher in until later. )
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

toastkid

Really like this map.  It took me a few goes to get it, though.  The trick is to prioritise.  I grabbed the gems that were near a rift about half way down the map, then just concentrated on building up reactors, carefully, so as to not overbuild.  Then picked the two most urgent chambers and made sure they were defended.  The rest can be left for a bit, though they all need attention at some point.  Save a lot is my advice :)  Great map, thanks guys!  And grats to the Creeper World 2 team and the community for reaching 1000 custom maps.  Fantastic community, applause all round.

Fisherck

Here are some screenshots to show how I beat the map, and in the spoiler I'll explain each picture, even though a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

Spoiler

Screenshot 1: At 2:35 you should see how I have built reactors in almost every available space and am generating about 25 energy (which has been about the same amount of energy since 2:08).My first move was to take the crystals from the 4th room down (Lich98's). The room I attacked first was actually room 8 with makers because once I backed up the creeper I had a lot of extra room for more reactors. And in room 3 I started moving blasters in to protect the microrift.

Screenshot 2: At 3:44 I have 4 blasters to defend the microrift in room 3 which can keep the creeper back indefinitely.  I am also attacking room 6 with a combination of blasters and launchers (the sooner you take it the more decayable terrain you save to build on). I am preparing to move to the offensive in my room, room 7, with makers, which will slowly but surely push the creeper back. In room 8 you can see how I push the creeper back by moving the makers into the field and let them unload their cargo. I only have a defensive stance in room 9 at the moment.

Screenshot 3: At 5:36 I am about to move 6 launchers into room 3 to start wearing down the creeper surrounding the microrift. In room 4, I am starting to build up a supply of anti-creeper to takeout the drones when I open up the chamber. In room 5 I am starting to take an offensive stand. Blasters/makers are invaluable in this room to remove the smaller amounts of creeper so you can expand. In room 6 I am finishing up. In room 7, I am about to move forward to take out the emitters. In room 8, as soon as I could, I built reactors all along the room. I am about to finish off this room too with the help of a few launchers. In room 9 I have taken the offensive, and am moving up.

Screenshot 4: At 7:03 I am generating over 60 energy, I just need to grab a crystal to do so.I am starting to soften up room 2 with launchers. I am moving up in room 3 now (you have to be extrememly carefull in this room to leave blasters behind to catch the creeper in the fields). In room 4 I am using anti-creeper to remove all the drones. In room 5 I am expanding with makers to make more room for launchers. In room 7 I am moving up, and in room 9 I am about to start taking out the creeper with launchers.

Screenshot 5-6: These are more to look at. The danger is past, and in these two screenshots you can see how I continue to move up in the rooms I am attacking.

[close]
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Ebon Heart

In room 3, once you clear the walls using launchers, a few makers are actually very effective. (Note the anti creeper fields that force it to the turrets) I had actually intended for that section to be done with makers.

SmileyCoder

I enjoyed it alot. Thank you making it.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

tijno77

yay :D i did it XD

great map. il try to beat my own score soon XD

EDIT: did it XD 30 min.