Weekly 5-map Tournament

Started by thepenguin, July 11, 2011, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepenguin

A.Rules:
Every competitor will have until Sunday evening at midnight (forum time (GMT - 5)) to set the best scores/times for these 5 maps, all linked together by their common theme, so just start playing!
The winner (best total score) gets to pick a new theme and publish the dates to be played before Monday evening at midnight (forum time).
This will ensure the winner doesn't have a major advantage and also makes sure that every player has 6 days to participate.
Last weeks winner is also responsible for determining next weeks winner by calculating/checking the total scores.
Each tournament will have its own topic (Created by the winner of the previous week's tournament) where players can post scores and discuss their progress.

B.Please note:
- It is not allowed for the same player to submit scores with different names. If done so, both names will be disqualified.
- Winners are calculated by highest total score, however, in the event that two players are tied in their scores, the lowest total time wins.
- When two players have the same total score and the same total time, the amount of individual #1 spots counts, followed by the amount of #2 spots, etc.
- When the tournament has been won by the same player as last week the runner up (#2) will pick the next theme to ensure themes & maps will be picked by different people.
- When this runner up already picked last weeks theme (same top 2 twice), the number three will pick the theme + maps
- When this number three already picked last weeks theme (same top 3 three times), the winner will pick the theme + maps again
I will keep this initial post up-to-date with a list of nominated themes and winners of kept tournaments.

C.Regarding calculating and posting the results of the tournament you won:
1. Of course the final results haven't been posted yet, but I'm sure the winner will know he has won by adding and comparing his scores.
2. Use Mopa42's Score Viewer to get totals & export table
3. It's a tradition that the winner of a tournament posts screenshots of his solutions for others to learn from. Use the backspace key to create a screenshot; it will automatically be saved in your 'documents\creeperworld2_screens' folder. When posting click 'Additional Options' to be able to attach them.

D.Regarding posting next weeks tournament theme & topic:
1. When selecting the theme yourself just pick one from the list (see first post of this thread) or think of one yourself. Please make sure it will appeal to a wide variety of players.
2. When selecting the codes of maps to be played make sure these maps haven't been played before. I would also check if you're not posting any fools mate maps (maps that can be finished without engaging the creeper at all), (also, no impossible maps (undiggable terrain surrounding an emitter) :))
3. When entering the name of the new tournament topic, please use this format: "Weekly 5-Map Tournament - [theme title] - closing [date of next Sunday]".
4. Use Mopa42's Score Viewer when posting all tournament data.
5. Please provide a link to this thread, containing the overview of themes, previous tournaments, players rankings and most important: the rules!
6. No two maps in a tournament can have the same combination of size/complexity
7. if a new tournament is not posted on monday before midnight (forum time), I will supply a tournament before noon (forum time) on tuesday, in the event that no tournament is created by noon (forum time) on tuesday, anyone can create the next week's tournament

E.Previous/Current tournaments:
This information has been moved to the wiki where it is maintained and kept up to date by the community.

F.Leaderboard
This information has been moved to the wiki where it is maintained and kept up to date by the community.

G.Banned Users

UserReason
1. EmperiumConfessed Cheating
2. ********Inappropriate Username

H.Future (suggested) topics:
feel free to make theme suggestions as a post in this thread

• CW (1 and 2) Map names
  • Names and locations of famous landmarks, like volcanoes, wonders of the world, lighthouses, large rivers
  • Famous last words
  • Components of a computer, like Microprocessor or Keyboard
  • Fun/unique/special words in the English language, like in this list or this list
  • Characters from a book (Lord of the Rings), or a comic (Calvin & Hobbes), or a movie, etc
  • Cronom tournament maps
  • James Bond Movies
  • James Bond Actors
  • Beatles Songs/Albums
  • Movies
We have become the creeper...

Fisherck

A good idea for future tournaments is to go through CW1 map names. That would be fun. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

thepenguin

Quote from: Fisherck on July 12, 2011, 10:13:37 AM
A good idea for future tournaments is to go through CW1 map names. That would be fun. :)

maybe both CWs

mopa42

A couple topic suggestions for future tournaments:

• Names and locations of famous landmarks, like volcanoes, wonders of the world, lighthouses, large rivers
  • Palindrome phrases, like Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog or Mr. Owl ate my metal worm
  • Famous last words
  • Components of a computer, like Microprocessor or Keyboard
  • Fun/unique/special words in the English language, like in this list or this list
  • Characters from a book (Lord of the Rings), or a comic (Calvin & Hobbes), or a movie, etc

thepenguin

Lord_Farin

When will the new tournament start?
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

thepenguin

Quote from: Lord_Farin on July 18, 2011, 06:07:57 PM
When will the new tournament start?

assuming that kithros doesen't create a new tournament by midnight (or when I wake up tomorrow) (forum time (GMT-5)), I'll create a new tournament

and as a precaution, I've added a system to the official rules

mthw2vc

Quote from: thepenguin on July 11, 2011, 12:16:33 PM
2. When selecting the dates of maps to be played make sure these maps haven't been played before. I would also check if you're not posting too many fools mates maps (maps that can be finished without engaging the creeper at all), but that's a personal preference. (also, no impossible maps (undiggable terrain surrounding an emitter) :))
1) Maps need not have associated dates. The word "code" belongs there.
2) Maps that can be finished without engaging the creeper give everyone the exact same score. They aren't funny, there had better not be any in any tournaments.

thepenguin

Quote from: mthw2vc on July 18, 2011, 06:57:04 PM
Quote from: thepenguin on July 11, 2011, 12:16:33 PM
2. When selecting the dates of maps to be played make sure these maps haven't been played before. I would also check if you're not posting too many fools mates maps (maps that can be finished without engaging the creeper at all), but that's a personal preference. (also, no impossible maps (undiggable terrain surrounding an emitter) :))
1) Maps need not have associated dates. The word "code" belongs there.
2) Maps that can be finished without engaging the creeper give everyone the exact same score. They aren't funny, there had better not be any in any tournaments.

fixed

Colin

Here is a suggestion for a tournament theme.

How about previous tournament maps from CW1? Like from one of these topics.
For that one we would do these:

May 12, 1941
January 25, 1947
May 24, 1972
August 12, 1981
January 2, 1982

either all on large/high or change them depending on the desired result.
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

TonyP2000

Here is a suggestion for contest maps: (The brackets are not apart of the contest, they are just to tell you what movie/game/comic they are from)

Evil A.I.s:

HAL 9000  (2001: A Space Odyssey)
GlaDOS (Portal)
SkyNet (The Terminator)
SHODAN (System Shock)
MODOK (Marvel Comics)
Vote Tony!

TonyP2000

I also have some more ideas like:
James Bond Movies (Goldfinger, The Spy Who Loved Me)
James Bond Actors (Like Danial Crag and Sean Connery
Beatles Albums (Abbey Road, White Album)
Worst Movies ever (Troll 2, Battlefield Earth)
Vote Tony!

crazyone76

go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin

It was fairly active before Custom Maps
were released, and I suspect it will come
back soon.  :)
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

mopa42

Right now I think we're waiting for someone to just make a next tournament. I think there are several people (myself included) who played the code maps before and would participate again, given the excuse/opportunity.