Main Menu

Monitor(s) Want

Started by knucracker, July 26, 2013, 11:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Only problem is that monitor currently costs around $5000.  I bet in 3 years it will be under $1000.

thepenguin

watching video about a 12k monitor in 480p. :)
We have become the creeper...

Grauniad

I stated drooling for the Asus PQ321 a while back. Still not cheap at about $3,500. but cheaper than the Dell monitors. Also sports 10-bit picture color depth.

But then I read this:
QuoteWe've established that gaming on a 4K monitor at high- or ultra-quality settings requires a beefy graphics card. Performance in Far Cry 3, for example, barely nudges past 30fps, let alone the desired 60fps, while it's even lower in Crysis 3. The 8.3MP load is substantially higher than the 6.2MP load required for three 1080p screens in a 3x1 surround setup. In fact, simplifying it greatly, the pixel count is worth an extra screen - four vs. three - as a single 4K PC monitor uses resolution equivalent to a quartet of 1080p screens operating in tandem.

So while the referenced video sports 3 of these (there is not even a common display acronym for the resolution, other than 4K), that means it's the equivalent of 12 "normal" monitors.  "Beefy graphics card" does not even begin to describe it.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Quote from: virgilw on July 26, 2013, 11:59:32 AM

Only problem is that monitor currently costs around $5000.  I bet in 3 years it will be under $1000.

You don't have to wait that long. A friend that watches prices said these briefly dropped under $500. He's buying one next time it happens.

knucracker

There is a 50" version of that beast and from the amazon reviews it looks like some people are using that as a desktop monitor.  Give me that with a curved display and maybe 4 linked leap motion controllers stuck on each corner pointing in toward me (to create a large track area) and.... and I'm not sure what will happen.

Grauniad

I think a 39 inch monitor is much more comfortable than a 50-inch monitor... :)

Grauniad

Newegg just started stocking the Crossover line of monitors - they've been on eBay for ages, with good feedbacks from what I've heard. Not "Professional" like Asus, Dell and the majors, but "good enough" for people like me....

Crossover 27QW Perfect Pixel 27" IPS LED 2560 x1440 Slim AH-IPS Dual Link DVI Monitor. Limited-time offer for $374 and then they're going back up to a nearly unaffordable $400.00

:D

Edit: On an unrelated note, I've been following development with Nvidia's G-Synch technology. Turns out that IPS monitors are not the best for gaming. They don't switch as fast as TN-Panels.... Who'd a thunk dat?

Grauniad

Here's the first review of the effect of Nvidia's G-Sync technology. Currently only available on select Asus displays with a price increase of about $120.

Grauniad

Cavemaniac

Not a monitor, but the definition is dazzling...

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.