Adobe Air v2.0.0.11670 Beta 2

Started by iycgtptyarvg, April 30, 2010, 10:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iycgtptyarvg

I saw that Adobe Air v2.0.0.11670 Beta 2 was out. Has anyone tested this to see whether the fullscreen bug has been fixed?

Kamron3

There was never a fullscreen bug? I've been able to use fullscreen before.

_k

SPIFFEN

I think it might be that the fullscreen lags/slows down the game alot ,
might be the "bug" the topics about .

So i suggest that you play the game in window mode , if you have trubble with fullscreen .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Kamron3

It's not going to get fixed. It's on Adobe's end and its because this game uses tons of resources.

_k

iycgtptyarvg

Ok, I tested it, and the fullscreen bug is still there ;(
In fact, it seems worse than before.

(bug: game is extremely slow in fullscreen, and fast with maximized window)

BartSimpson

I feel I need to comment on this.  I feel really bad that somebody took so much time to make a fairly cool game with really bad programming software (Adobe).  I am at a loss as to why anybody uses Adobe for anything.  I remember when Cool Edit pro was really god for editing sound and it was sold to Adobe (Now Adobe Audition) and it's full of bugs and really laggy without hardly any additional features.  Flash was sold to Adobe and it's suffered ever since. In my opinion, everything Adobe touches turns to extremely bloated crapware that's no more useful than the product of the company they bought out.  I use Foxit Reader as an alternative to Adobe reader.  I strongly urge the developer to think about such options if they decide to continue their hobby of making computer games.  A fairly simple 2d game should not lag like a modern FPS game on the same hardware.  Anyways, I applaud the effort and hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Kamron3

Quote from: BartSimpson on April 30, 2010, 09:57:42 PM
I feel I need to comment on this.  I feel really bad that somebody took so much time to make a fairly cool game with really bad programming software (Adobe).  I am at a loss as to why anybody uses Adobe for anything.  I remember when Cool Edit pro was really god for editing sound and it was sold to Adobe (Now Adobe Audition) and it's full of bugs and really laggy without hardly any additional features.  Flash was sold to Adobe and it's suffered ever since. In my opinion, everything Adobe touches turns to extremely bloated crapware that's no more useful than the product of the company they bought out.  I use Foxit Reader as an alternative to Adobe reader.  I strongly urge the developer to think about such options if they decide to continue their hobby of making computer games.  A fairly simple 2d game should not lag like a modern FPS game on the same hardware.  Anyways, I applaud the effort and hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Because it's probably extremely easier to manage with Adobe, even at the cost of processing power.

And at anything else: it's better than QuickTime.

_k

knucracker

I've been keeping an eye on the new flash 10.1 release.  In its beta form I have not really noticed any differences in performance (full screen or otherwise).  But, beta and release software can often be different so I can't draw any conclusions yet.  Performance will also relate to your graphics card and card drivers.... but I'm not sure which ones will get acceleration.

As for why CW is in flash/AIR....
Well I didn't really have a choice.  It may sound strange to say that and the reason may not be immediately obvious.  It has nothing to do with languages, tools, experience, ease/difficulty, or performance...

For most people reading this post, they should ask themselves how they came to discover CW.  For about 90% of the people, it was because of CW:TS being on kongregate, addictinggames, armorgames, bubblebox, or any of the other 1000+ sites that currently host the game.

To get this kind of exposure, I have to write a flash game.  Now I could do a flash version of the game and then do big game in something else.... but that wouldn't provide a continuity in experience from trial to purchase.

So trust me, if I had my way I would be coding in c# and writing a very large scale game.  But all that said, there are some very nice things about flash/AIR and it is for the most part very stable and consistent across PCs and Macs (and hopefully android in a couple of months).  Flash did for the browser what java never really managed (but that is another story).

Anyway, given I need the friendship of flash portals I have to accept flash/AIR and then dedicate to creating the best game and experience I can given that environment.  The next game is something I hope will improve things in a number of areas, and so far things look promising.