Where to best buy this game

Started by Guenter, December 05, 2018, 06:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guenter

Hi folks, I'm new here and only have one question.

Where should I buy CW4 to support Virgil the most?
I'm pretty sure there will be more money going his way when I buy it via his own store. On the other hand, buying it on Steam might lead to a bigger exposure over there. Am I overthinking this and it won't matter at all?

cheers
Günter

Karsten75

This probably should go in the FAQ :)

The harsh reality of things is that it doesn't matter. For security purposes, Virgil uses a payment processor - the costs of that is nearly similar to the cost of making a Steam sale.

Steam recently announced a set of revised rules governing their charges, but I've not yet spoken with Virgil to find out whether that will affect his rates.

So the only remaining division is very slight:

If you buy on Virgil's site, you can get both a stand-alone key and a Steam key. However, if you do that and then choose to write a Steam review, the review will be flagged with "free key" and steam will not weigh your review as much as when they think you have paid for the key.

knucracker

Yeah, just buy wherever is easiest and most comfortable for you.  For most folks that is steam, and for some others that is not_steam.  I'm grateful for any purchase regardless of the store.

Now it is currently true that you can get a steam key if you purchase through my store (which is currently handled by Fastspring, an ecommerce provider).  The 'free steam key' thing may not remain true in the future.  All depends on steam policies and my own policies (it takes time and resources to deal with the retail steam keys, sometimes substantial).

There may also be other stores in the future.  Currently there is also GamersGate, and the HumbleStore (for Particle Fleet).  Stores may come and go in the future (Epic?, eh hmmm).  In any case, the answer is always the same; if you see the game and want to buy it, then do it however is best for you.

Guenter

Cool,

will be on Steam then. I'm gonna check here right before buying in case anything changed.

Until then take care and thanks for all the great hours!

ShadowDragon7015

Is there any chance the games will appear on the discord game store in the future?
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

knucracker

Yep....  there is a chance.  All depends on the stability/success of the store and its popularity.