Creeper World 3

Started by Ebon Heart, March 30, 2012, 07:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronini

Quote from: Chawe800 on September 27, 2012, 06:18:47 PM
Yea I guess that Repulsor was pretty powerful but I always felt it was a more cheaper unit that didn't cost as much and use as much energy as the blaster and mortar. Also it kinda felt like the CW2 equivalent of the Drone bomber in the way it causes a small pushback against the creeper. I really just wanna make sure two shields can repel 4 creepers at a small fairly wide choke-point.

I doubt this will be possible, but shouldn't creeper be able to flow above shields? I mean, if the surrounding creeper becomes high enough so it overflows like with a wall. But I think shield hight is treated as being unlimited for now.

EDIT: restored quotation

4xC

There is a quote mark in your post. Who are you quoting?
C,C,C,C

Chawe800

That was me from awhile ago.
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." -James Branch Cabell

Ronini

Quote from: Chawe800 on November 05, 2012, 05:43:13 PM
That was me from awhile ago.

Yeah it was. As you can see, I just recently discovered this forum, but wanted to add my thoughts to the shield discussion.

4xC

As to the shields, you would think they would flow above them. maybe thin layers on top would if gravity manipulation continued to be a benefactor for the creeper and thin waves poured down on shields only to slide off. If they don't, it's a small flaw in logical physics.
C,C,C,C

Nemoricus

Shields aren't forcefields in the conventional sci sense. They're concentric rings of force, like repulsors are linear arrangements of force. By building up a sufficient head of pressure, Creeper pushes through fields, but it cannot go over them.

4xC

Well that explains why CW3 is less 3D than its graphic definition makes it seem.
C,C,C,C

Nemoricus

Even CW1 is essentially a 2D game, with some tricks used to make it seem as though it were truly 3D. For example, units don't actually move up and down, but rather are increased in size and moved up the Y axis to make it look like they were moving along the Z axis.

For that matter, all games are 2D doing clever things to look 3D. It's just the nature of the display they have to work with.

lurkily

Quote from: Ronini on November 05, 2012, 06:33:01 AM
Quote from: Chawe800 on September 27, 2012, 06:18:47 PM
Yea I guess that Repulsor was pretty powerful but I always felt it was a more cheaper unit that didn't cost as much and use as much energy as the blaster and mortar. Also it kinda felt like the CW2 equivalent of the Drone bomber in the way it causes a small pushback against the creeper. I really just wanna make sure two shields can repel 4 creepers at a small fairly wide choke-point.

I doubt this will be possible, but shouldn't creeper be able to flow above shields? I mean, if the surrounding creeper becomes high enough so it overflows like with a wall. But I think shield hight is treated as being unlimited for now.

EDIT: restored quotation
V Addressed this on the blog post - apparently he'd already experimented with it, from the sound of things.  It's too difficult to show flow of creeper above units, and clearly convey that these units aren't actually in danger.

I think it's better for gameplay's sake not to get TOO 3-D in our thinking on this one.

Ronini

I agree. I still would like to see/perform a test that puts a shield at the bottom ofa deep gorge with creeper on top of the walls. I try to show what I mean with this crude graphic:

Ground lvl:  666919666

CCC] [CCC
                CCC] [CCC
                CCC]s[CCC
                CCC] [CCC
                CCC] [CCC

or something similar that. s being the shield, C creeper and ] and [ walls.
Will the shield push the creeper backwards through the wall, just out of the gorge, or will it be overwhelmed and buried once creeper overflows the walls and into the gorge. Either way would be fine with me. I simply like speculating about this kind of stuff. (But not so much that I don't want to know the answer..)

lurkily

With mechanics as they are now?  I expect creeper will bulge away from the gorge near the shield, and pour into the gorge at either end.  With pressure (depth) greater in the gorge, it'll probably force itself closer to the shield in the gorge than it will on the plateau.

As for pushing creeper up a terrain level?  As it compresses (makes deeper) creeper against a cliffside, I expect the creeper will flood out.  Whether there is a point at which it will force ALL creeeper out, I couldn't say, but evaporation would take care of scraps.