How to increase performance

Started by Spezifisch, August 13, 2009, 02:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spezifisch

On my old pc the game slows down when i try to increase the window size. Playing it maximized results in slowmotion gameplay. Are there any ways to increase the game performance? Playing this on my 1680*1050 widescreen monitor in the default windowsize requires a magnifying glass.  ;D

Windows Xp
AMD 2800+
2 Gig ram
Geforce 7600GT

BTW i have no problems with other games like HL2, Doom 3, EU3, Civ4 etc.

knucracker

You can go in the options screen from within a game and turn off a couple of things (restart the game in one case).  This may help some.  You've got a great OS, nice video card, and plenty of memory.  In the case of Creeper World your CPU has a little age and that will hurt your performance some.  It's not bad, don't get me wrong.  Moore's law just marches on every year and a half.

Whenever Creeper World is run  "scaled up" your CPU will  take a double beating.  This has to do with how the AIR framework does its rendering, etc.  You will always get the best performance when you run at the default window size, but I do understand the desire to make the window bigger.

I've got a core 2 duo running at 2.2ghz and I can run the game at 1920x1200 with little slowdown.  The extra core makes a bug difference for scaled rendering.

Jarl

There is also definitely a performance issue in full screen mode. In full screen (2560x1600) I get a measly 3-4 fps, while simply increasing the window manually to the same size runs at a comfortable 30fps+.

Windows XP
Intel Core2 Duo 6700 2.66GHz
3 GB RAM
GeForce 7950GX2

knucracker

Yes.... we can thank adobe for this.  Why this is the case in their runtime is don't know.  The same issue affects full screen 'flash' movies.  Note that if you are running at 2560x1600 at good frame rates you are really cranking.  The combo of your dual core and video card are producing some serious results.

Zmann966

No matter how big I go, I've never run into problems, even full screen at 1960x1080.

Virgilw's definitely got it right (duh! Game-maker, lol) it must be the cores.

Windows Vista 32x
Intel Core2 Extreme 3.0GHz
3Gb 800Mhz RAM
SLi'd 2x Geforce 8800 GTS

But even then, running it on my netbook (Asus 1000HA) I've had no issues going fullscreen on that (which is 1024x600) and everyone knows netbooks are bare-minimum for everything.

Windows XP 32x
Intel Atom 1.66GHz
1Gb RAM
Integrated Graphics

So it has to be something else, As you can see I've gone to the extremes of the hardwares, and I haven't had ANY noticable slowing...
So what do ya think it is then?

Jarl

Replaced my flaky display driver with latest official nvidia release and now get full performance also in full screen. Sorry for the misplaced complaint. Not that I play it in full screen anyway.

Again, thanks for an excellent game on which I've spent too much time the last weeks.

Ordinaryman

I'm running an AMD tri-core 2.8 ghz with 8 gigs of ddr2 RAM, and two DSR 3870's in crossfire, and I notice a huge slowdown in the more intense maps.... yes, my drivers are up to date.....

Is there any new way to adjust some settings to make the game run better?

~OM

knucracker

Try making the game window big, but not full screen (don't click the maximize button, just stretch the window larger).  See if that results in better performance.  For whatever reason, adobe air/flash have some performance issues with fullscreen on some video cards / drivers.

I just tried a new ati radeon hd 5850 (not crossfire) under windows 7 at 1920x1200 and I get a steady 36 fps in the game.  I know that on my older 7600gt I used to get about 25fps at 1920x1200, upgrading my drivers helped in this case.

Kamron3

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html <- this helps by killing off stuff you don't need in the background while playing games.

_k

Ordinaryman

oooo I like game booster! There was all kinds of crap running LOL

~OM

SPIFFEN

I would try to close as many as possible of the auto run programs ,
they might be using much memory / ram .

If you are carefull you can :
press start button for windows
search : msconfig
Then you can choose what starts up when you turn on your computer ,
and turn of service that run in the background .
BE CAREFULL , SO YOU DONT TURN OFF THE WRONG THINGS !

And you can use this http://www.lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/product_comparison_chart.php ,
to clean some spywear on your computer . ( there is an free v. in the link . )
( maybe someone knows about an better prog , but i think this works just fine )

Vista HP
and so on =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

Kamron3

I do not recommend using the msconfig trick. That can [expletive deleted - G.] you over if you deselect the wrong stuff...

_k

Panaque

msconfig is absolutely necessary, even for normal running of PC... Just try to open hidden icons next to clock... Java, so much checking of updates etc. etc.
All you have to do is to read, what program is running with the start of the system... Just do not turn off stuff, what you do not know or aren't 100% sure that you won't need...

SPIFFEN

There is an reson why i marked something in red , because it's important =P
But if there is someone who read this and dont see the colors , they might get in trubbel =(
If so , i hope they se that it's in bold .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links