Main Menu

Board bug

Started by Loren Pechtel, October 12, 2012, 04:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loren Pechtel

1)  Post message.

2)  Quickly post another message.  (In my case, one sentence, I'm a fast typist.  I managed to beat the 20 second timer.)

3)  Error--you're posting too fast.

4)  Wait

5)  Error--you already posted this.  It's *NOT* posted, though!  Editing it doesn't help, either.  That post is unpostable, although you could cut & paste it into another message.

Grauniad

That's how SMF works. It's not a bug. It is unlikely to be fixed unless it is fixed in SMF V2 and Virgil ever finds the time/inclination to modify his custom code and upgrade. Even then, as I said, there is no guarantee that it will behave differently.

You can inquire in the Simple Machines Forum, if you wish.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Grauniad on October 12, 2012, 04:08:17 PM
That's how SMF works. It's not a bug. It is unlikely to be fixed unless it is fixed in SMF V2 and Virgil ever finds the time/inclination to modify his custom code and upgrade. Even then, as I said, there is no guarantee that it will behave differently.

You can inquire in the Simple Machines Forum, if you wish.

How can you say it's not a bug?  The message is considered already posted when it's not.

Grauniad

Well, the primary error is that you posted faster than the arbitrary 20-second limit. :) After that the message is invalidated and can't be processed again.

If you disagree, you should take it up with the writers of SMF, not Knucklecracker. We don't fix code in SMF.

The workaround is simple enough. Copy the message text and paste it in a new message.  How much time and effort do you think we should spend on investigating and "fixing" something like that?

MadMag

..... Sure it is not a Boear bug?

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Grauniad on October 12, 2012, 05:15:00 PM
Well, the primary error is that you posted faster than the arbitrary 20-second limit. :) After that the message is invalidated and can't be processed again.

If you disagree, you should take it up with the writers of SMF, not Knucklecracker. We don't fix code in SMF.

The workaround is simple enough. Copy the message text and paste it in a new message.  How much time and effort do you think we should spend on investigating and "fixing" something like that?

I agree that it's a SMF's fault, I just don't understand how you can say it's not a bug.

J

Take your time and you will never get that error again :)

Wheatmidge

To me it sounds more like a feature than a bug. It's there to prevent spamming.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Wheatmidge on October 13, 2012, 05:09:46 PM
To me it sounds more like a feature than a bug. It's there to prevent spamming.

The 20 second timer is a feature.

The fact that if it rejects a message it can never be posted is a bug.

thepenguin

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on October 13, 2012, 05:47:17 PM
The fact that if it rejects a message it can never be posted is a bug.
no, that's a feature
otherwise, people could just keep hitting the post button
also, if it only takes someone 20 seconds to type a response, it can't be a very thoughtful one...
We have become the creeper...

Grauniad

Let's agree that we can all have a perspective on this and move on, rather than pile on.