Custom Map #2869: Death Puzzler

Started by AutoPost, February 16, 2018, 08:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2869: Death Puzzler

Author: Bongo

Desc:
Remake of "The Death Spece" (#1899) by Holy Spirit.

Bongo

It's been a while since I made an evil instant death map, so here's some hints. I forget that not everyone can see the fields correctly because there is no option for ONLY seeing AC or C fields alone. I think :52 is the most important. The sooner you pop that ground the sooner the giant pool converts to AC.

Good luck!

DRider

The games where this thing has to be in that location at precisely such and such a time are not fun.  They are tedious and frustrating.  The rather large ratio of negative to positive ratings would indicate that most players agree with me. 

J

Quote from: DRider on August 29, 2019, 10:59:18 PM
The games where this thing has to be in that location at precisely such and such a time are not fun.  They are tedious and frustrating.  The rather large ratio of negative to positive ratings would indicate that most players agree with me. 
Since you don't know the exact reason someone would downvote a map, please don't assume it is the same as yours. Some maps are totally awesome, but get downvoted because of their difficulty. The ratio of up/downvotes doesn't mean anything on difficult maps.
While it may be tedious and boring for you (and probably many others), some people did have fun with this map.

DRider

Quote from: J on August 30, 2019, 04:29:16 AM
Since you don't know the exact reason someone would downvote a map, please don't assume...
Last I checked, I was free to "assume" whatever I wish to.  You assume differently than I do.  Please continue to  do so, but don't tell me how to think. 

Karsten75

Let's remain focused on discussing the map, rather than having a meta-discussion about assumptions. :)

All are free to say why they like or dislike the map under discussion. Many different perspectives are hard to consolidate in a single up/down vote and sharing perspectives of the map may inform the map maker.

We should also bear in mind the map maker's entitlement to make maps that suit a specific play style, or that they find intriguing.

In my opinion, it would be best if feedback on a map does not discourage the map maker from making further maps - even if some people don't like the maps, more maps are always better, right? And perhaps those that are critical of some maps can make and contribute their own maps to aid the community or perhaps gain an understanding of how truly hard it is to make a map with such precise timings.

cornucanis

To add on to this discussion, I'd like to point out that this map was created by a player named Bongo. I'm sure K75 and J are familiar with Bongo's reputation, but for anyone who isn't: Bongo has a reputation as one of the players with the most in-depth practical knowledge of how CW2 works. I can't speculate on how Bongo expected the map to be received by the public, but I can definitely say that the fact the map requires precise decision making and timing is right up his alley. Regardless of whether it's the type of map the average player likes to play, it's definitely the type of map the mapmaker likes to play and that's what usually matters at the end of the day.

Builder17

Quote from: cornucanis on September 01, 2019, 02:02:25 AM
Bongo has a reputation as one of the players with the most in-depth practical knowledge of how CW2 works.

It's definitely the type of map the mapmaker likes to play and that's what usually matters at the end of the day.

Just my 2 cents, but mapmakers usually get better on game, longer they make maps :) So that's another reason why it would be nice to have new mapmakers as well.

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 31, 2019, 09:17:41 AM
And perhaps those that are critical of some maps can make and contribute their own maps to aid the community or perhaps gain an understanding of how truly hard it is to make a map with such precise timings.