Main Menu

Survival Mode?

Started by BL24, March 13, 2011, 11:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BL24

I had searched through the forums, but I may have missed if this topic was already created, so I do apologize if so!

But, I had a nifty little idea about some sort of survival Mode.

Not too sure how the layout would go, but the general idea would be multiple sets of Emitters, that are timed to go off at certain intervals to make the round extremely difficult, quit even impossible. Not so much to win, but just to see how long a person could hold out before eventually being overwhelmed by the creeper waves.

I was playing Nazi Zombies on COD: BO and had my Creeper game on pause taking a momentarily stress relieving man-slaughter when this idea had come together as I glanced back between my computer and the TV.
The idea of a Non-winnable, never ending horde of Creeper that I must waste possibly hours to fight against, only to lose in one immense wave after another.. just gets me amp'ed up.

I've attempted making similar maps on CW, but they all lack a bit of luster. As I try to give myself every advantage by digging immense pit-falls I can simply clear with drones repeatedly, so I usually take control of every situation I make.
But I've tinkered around with the map editor and I've hidden the totems far out of reach behind my rows of timed emitters.. Watched as I took my ground, and eventually lost it. Achieving some effect of what I had hoped, but I know someone else could improve on this!

But I would really like to know what everyone else's perspective is on this idea!

Blaze

There are maps like this, and it has been discussed, but I don't know where...

BL24

what is your views about it?
It's hard to be original for sure, so things tend to get Necro'd in some sense.

I have had little luck finding a decent map made by another person to suit what I'm looking for though

Blaze

Quote from: BL24 on March 13, 2011, 11:50:18 PM
what is your views about it?
It's hard to be original for sure, so things tend to get Necro'd in some sense.

I have had little luck finding a decent map made by another person to suit what I'm looking for though

I think it'd be neat, but a little hard to implement.

Echo51

Can be made, but limited at some point. just lots of emitters where they are delayed
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

thepenguin

pretty much impossible to lose that game, though
We have become the creeper...

Ebon Heart

I'll have to try my hand at the idea..... The only problem lies in the fact that you need a score to post a map.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Michionlion

maybe tell the map approver and get a special permit?  ;)
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Blaze

Quote from: Michionlion on March 17, 2011, 08:17:22 AM
maybe tell the map approver and get a special permit?  ;)

No, the new map approver system, really needs a score to be posted, no exceptions.

Ebon Heart

Actually.... He's right! Sometimes they've approved maps with no score, such as the bridging tutorial map, and some other stuff that's either made to teach something, or prove a point.

ontheworld

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on March 17, 2011, 10:50:35 AM
Actually.... He's right! Sometimes they've approved maps with no score, such as the bridging tutorial map, and some other stuff that's either made to teach something, or prove a point.

Older maps

Ebon Heart

I'll send some messages or something.

Ebon Heart

Duh!! I've got it.... I'll make the city start out surrounded by 3 totems that you can choose to activate when you're ready to go.... Highest score wins. The map will get progressively harder until you can't hold back the creeper.

Blaze

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on March 17, 2011, 01:06:39 PM
Duh!! I've got it.... I'll make the city start out surrounded by 3 totems that you can choose to activate when you're ready to go.... Highest score wins. The map will get progressively harder until you can't hold back the creeper.

Highest score = lowest.

The longer you stay, the lower your score.

UpperKEES

Just keep flying OC in the air for a couple of days. It may be boring, but hey, you've got the high score! ;D
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview