Custom Map #2580: FPS: Dark World. By: Kaiden

Started by AutoPost, November 19, 2021, 06:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2580: FPS: Dark World

Author: Kaiden
Size: 240x180

hbarudi

Why is there this black thing that needs who knows how many sniper shots to defeat?
Also another black sphere over my area if I pause how can I remove that there is something that says to remove it but don't know how.

InwardChaos

Interesting concept, but the design of the map really messes with the AI's building.
In my first attempt, the AI was able to assist me into the first area of the map, but failed to expand into both the second and final areas of the map, which eventually resulted in me dying when I got cornered by the Shadow.
In my second attempt, where I was able to beat the map, the AI failed to expand into the final area of the map.
It seems that if the AI successfully builds a tower on the high ground, it stops trying to add on to the existing network on the low ground, and with the final area having a bunch of high single-tile spikes, the AI fruitlessly attempts to expand to the spikes and is unable to return to the ground floor.

I was eventually able to power up enough to be able to solo the final area, but I feel like that wasn't intended.

GadgetBoy

Agreed with the buggy AI.

Also, regarding the attacking creatures - is it necessary for them to bury my entire head in their butt? Can we raise their altitude so that if one sneaks up on me, I'm not blind?

Yamioni

Agreed on the AI. Failed to build into the South-East of the map, which halted all progress. Cleared all of the South-East area solo, then couldn't make any progress down the middle lane for lack of AI support (and I don't feel like waiting for upgrade points to finally push through.)

I think it's a great map design, and love the darkness concept (though that black mob is quite a pain and could use a slight nerf, maybe reduce the health by 20-30%, and the speed by 10-20%?) but the AI getting stuck kills it... Fix that, and you've got a fantastic map here.

MuadDib

The idea is good, but please allow the player to move between the valleys by providing stairs. I spent a lot of time getting stuck because I couldn't go up or down, and had to search around how to go around.

bishopadams

agreed on a bunch of stuff mentioned by other commenters, the map is very unfriendly to the players mobility, especially when being chased by the unforgiving shadow.

all that said, i had a great deal of fun trying to overcome those issues and despite loosing the first attempt i was very pleased with my experience (back and finished the map just now)

Lentil

Cool map.  The black shadow is super annoying but still managed to kill it off.  Was very happy when I killed its spawn spot.  When the first bot showed up, I upgraded to double snip and auto defense right away.Can I suggest using some sort of path on the ground to get in and out of the canyons? I saw another FPS where the map maker did that using the shimmering blue ground bitmap where you usually drop miners.  That would be helpful on this map, not to lead the player but to show the way out once the canyon is defeated.

AI didn't freak out on me. I took the left canyon first, then the right canyon, then up the middle.  Taking the middle was pretty tough - had to burrow in with AC to take out guns/towers. Then I was able to finally overpower the creep breeders.

Kaiden

Quote from: hbarudi on November 20, 2021, 01:17:56 AM
Why is there this black thing that needs who knows how many sniper shots to defeat?
Also another black sphere over my area if I pause how can I remove that there is something that says to remove it but don't know how.
It's located below the bottom left corner of the map, where the player spawns. You may have to move up a little bit, since the dark sphere or the darkness may be covering it.

MadVandal

Is there some ongoing contest to see who can add the most obnoxious flyer possible to their FPS map? I put up with other maps like this far more than most but this is over the top lame.

Terrain is too narrow and jagged making places where to player gets stuck and so one has to spam saves just in case because of that ridiculous flyer. It also breaks the AI which gets stuck in the main area.

fooschnickens

Not sure what the hub-bub is with the flyers, once I figured out that they were a thing I simply made auto sniper and double sniper my next upgrades and went about clearing it on my first try. Didn't have the AI building problems like others, but I could see how the terrain could definitely confuse things a bit.

AClassyGhost

I think part of the problem with the enemies is they're just not suited to this map - they work okay with wider spaces, but with darkness and canyons you barely have time to react to them before they're on top of you. This makes the double-snipe and auto-snipe upgrades mandatory, otherwise you can barely progress because you're constantly fighting off the stream of enemies coming at you.

On the other hand, with those upgrades, they become trivial and you can just ignore them entirely, except for the black one who will just show up and stand on top of you blocking your vision until you can whittle down its giant health pool. That being said, it's still not a threat - unless you get stuck in a corner because you can't see where you're going.

There's not really a middle ground with them, they're either a constant progress-halting annoyance, or something you can ignore completely. They're not fun to fight at all on this map, which is otherwise very cool.

user303

Quote from: AClassyGhost on November 24, 2021, 01:04:52 PM
There's not really a middle ground with them, they're either a constant progress-halting annoyance, or something you can ignore completely. They're not fun to fight at all on this map, which is otherwise very cool.

This sums up my feeling about every map that has included these flying enemies on it. Once you have the auto defense upgrade, they turn into nothing more than an annoyance that you can mostly ignore except when you have to stop playing to point vaguely in their direction with the sniper weapon out for a while. (Not to mention making your ears bleed from listening to the sniper shot sounds on loop forever) They aren't a challenge, just a pain.

Hurk

all maps with these stupid flying units get a downvote. they arent fun to play against and make the maps uninteresting.
the excessively tank versions on this map especially so.

infrequentLurker

I enjoyed playing this map, though I felt I needed to restart because the AI got stuck and couldn't build in to the final area the first time.  The second time, it got stuck trying to build in to the second area, but I managed to fix it by moving away from the affected area, pausing, and destroying 20 or so towers so the AI would try something different.  Worked like a charm, the AI was able to support me through the rest of the map.