Updateing Uploaded maps.

Started by chaotea, February 09, 2021, 12:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaotea

Whats the procedure for updating previously uploaded maps. Ive made strides in my editing since some of my earlier ones, and would like to go back and do some updates. Do i edit and reload and just leave the old ones? Or should I report them to request they be taken down? I dont want to spam this if it isnt correct.

For example, some i'd like to go back and just put an ADA hint in at the begining.

Side not, could do with a feature that allows mapmakers to remove their own maps.

Cheers.

Karsten75

There is no procedure, since it's not  "a thing".  We don't generally remove maps that are playable and are not offensive. You can re-upload a map with monor changes, but often the community finds less pleasure fun in rehashing the same map than in playing a completely new map.

Best advice is to take what you have learnt and apply it to future maps.

chaotea

Quote from: Karsten75 on February 09, 2021, 03:35:15 PM
There is no procedure, since it's not  "a thing".  We don't generally remove maps that are playable and are not offensive. You can re-upload a map with monor changes, but often the community finds less pleasure fun in rehashing the same map than in playing a completely new map.

Best advice is to take what you have learnt and apply it to future maps.

While I can understand that, there are maps i see value in doing updates too, though not all the maps ive made just 1 or two.

I have seen in the past maps others have uploaded multiple times.

While i can understand it may not be something you wish to regulate (though i did report one of my own maps that I then re-uploaded in the early days) is it worth a considdration to allow authors to make that desision for thier own maps?

As an example of what you mean, i made a level 'shattered world' where i used a centralised AC pool and used sprayers as both collection points and 'always on' points. In order to stop these from being manipulated I was forced to make it a 'units cant move' map. Now I know abit more 4RPL i'd like to go back and make these custom units. Its not like the maps overly popular, so i doubt is would be overly disengaging. I just dont want to clog the lists with multiples.

Even if the answer here is 'feel free to report maps you want to be removed yourself', i just feel that some sort of system should be in place.

Side note, it would also be great if we could 'update' files with non-gameplay changes, like map descriptions (im dyslexic, and ive uploaded typos into my descriptions before without realising) or adding ADA messages (something ive started doing after having people leave feedback in tags about levels being unplayable, ect)

Please note this all comes from a place of love. I love this game and just want it to be the best it can be. One of the great things about it is how open and accessable it is to its communtiy, and I just feel that it could only benifit from being more-so.

Anyway, thanks for the attention.

Karsten75

The whole updating/removing/altering maps is a minefield. Best to be avoided. Sorry.