[Suggestion] Improve the SHIPS section of the forum

Started by tanelorn, January 13, 2017, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanelorn

I love how a thread is auto-generated when someone uploads their ship. However, it's nearly useless because now we have a forum with hundreds of ships in no useful order. I suggest the following:

1. Create two subsections to the ships section. Section 1 is for general discussion and intended mostly for ship makers to describe their fleet of custom ships with links to each. This will declutter the design section of the forum and create greater utility of the ships section. Section 2 is the autogenerated ship posts.

2. For the auto generated ships section: When a ship is uploaded, generate a subsection with the username, and all their uploaded ships are posted within that section. So when you go to the autogenerated ships forum section, you don't see individual ships, you see users. Then in each user's section are the autogenerated posts of each of their uploaded ships. This will declutter the ships section and make it much easier to look for a particular user's fleet of custom ships.

Suggestion 1 and 2 do have some overlap and redundancy so maybe there's a more elegant way to handle it. But overall, the current state of affairs makes for a difficult situation and the ships section of the forum is not nearly as useful as it could be.

Dark Ambition

Quote1. Create two subsections to the ships section. Section 1 is for general discussion and intended mostly for ship makers to describe their fleet of custom ships with links to each. This will declutter the design section of the forum and create greater utility of the ships section. Section 2 is the autogenerated ship posts.

That would be a great place to put the corporation pages things that some of us, including I, have been making. It did annoy me a little that they could really only go into the section designed to get help from the community.

Quote2. For the auto generated ships section: When a ship is uploaded, generate a subsection with the username, and all their uploaded ships are posted within that section. So when you go to the autogenerated ships forum section, you don't see individual ships, you see users. Then in each user's section are the autogenerated posts of each of their uploaded ships. This will declutter the ships section and make it much easier to look for a particular user's fleet of custom ships.

This sounds like an easier way to get to certain ships uploaded by someone who maybe has mass uploaded a bunch of ships.

I agree 100% with this guy. I think it's a much better way to handle the ship database.

Sorrontis

Yep, I saw the clutter problem coming once I started uploading my ships, that's why I made this post:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21398.msg148848#msg148848

Something automatic would be quite nice.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Stickman

Quote from: tanelorn on January 13, 2017, 07:23:41 PM
I love how a thread is auto-generated when someone uploads their ship. However, it's nearly useless because now we have a forum with hundreds of ships in no useful order. I suggest the following:

1. Create two subsections to the ships section. Section 1 is for general discussion and intended mostly for ship makers to describe their fleet of custom ships with links to each. This will declutter the design section of the forum and create greater utility of the ships section. Section 2 is the autogenerated ship posts.

2. For the auto generated ships section: When a ship is uploaded, generate a subsection with the username, and all their uploaded ships are posted within that section. So when you go to the autogenerated ships forum section, you don't see individual ships, you see users. Then in each user's section are the autogenerated posts of each of their uploaded ships. This will declutter the ships section and make it much easier to look for a particular user's fleet of custom ships.

Suggestion 1 and 2 do have some overlap and redundancy so maybe there's a more elegant way to handle it. But overall, the current state of affairs makes for a difficult situation and the ships section of the forum is not nearly as useful as it could be.

Well, Ships section is almost useless even if it had only, say, 20 ships in them. I would dare say that only use for it is to give feedback on the ship you particularly like or have issues with. That's why I'm very "FOR" the suggestion 2. This configuration would allow uploader to see if there's some feedback by simply checking subsection status.

It would be also nice for auto-post to add a sticky blank post to each section for user to hijack and set up as overall fleet description thread, slightly akin to corporations. It' would be double nice if auto-posting software upon detecting a new user asked him how to name the sticky post or even subsection, so you can have nice names like "[Vast Explorers Frontline Fleet] under command of [Wanderer]" or something like that.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me