DMD-developed CRPL

Started by Flash1225, June 19, 2014, 08:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash1225

I just got hit with the idea about a minute ago... What if the DMD can actually randomly generate random CRPL scripts (simple ones most often, more complex ones rarer) and create CRPL cores around the map that use the script(s), and those scripts are added to the list of scripts if the map was made into a project? This could be a way that new CRPL users can start learning the basics of CRPL!
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

Grayzzur

Quite a bit of effort on Virgil's part to set up what the scripts should do, debug them, and get the DMD to include them -- without invalidating the existing DMD map ID setup. You'd have a limited number of stock CRPL scripts, as scripts aren't something that can be randomly generated.

Plus, there are plenty of resources and existing maps for new map makers to see how CRPL works already.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Helper

I believe there is a map maker over in Colonial Space who already does random CRPL generated maps. It's been a while since I've seen a new one, but they were quite good.

Flabort

Pawel. You could PM him and he'd probably gen a new one for you.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

stewbasic

Quote from: Helper on June 20, 2014, 12:55:46 PM
I believe there is a map maker over in Colonial Space who already does random CRPL generated maps. It's been a while since I've seen a new one, but they were quite good.
IIUC the OP is asking for random map generation to produce CRPL cores, not a CRPL core that produces random maps.

There are a few scripts which are quite modular and have gotten plenty of use (eg the flip emitters). I imagine those could work in such a setting. However rather than making a significant change to DMD (unlikely to happen at this point), probably the easiest thing would be to save a DMD map and add a single core with a script to replace some enemies by cores with random scripts chosen from a selection.

Quote from: Flash1225 on June 19, 2014, 08:55:25 PM
This could be a way that new CRPL users can start learning the basics of CRPL!
For this, I recommend taking any map with some CRPL you like and following these instructions:

http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=crpl:examine_map_resources

If you have questions, post them in the coder's corner forum; there are plenty of people happy to help.