A map I'm attempting right now

Started by Grauniad, December 30, 2013, 12:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

I posted this map code in chat.

BADwLLMDPR5HXqCJy0IAAcAADmkCAgAktFYYCAjIAAjAAAgIyALokCCABAAQMCCwJIBmYILk7AAGoAjgAIACQOBroXdCQKDhBXKH6t8EgOAH4AjgF8AwoElraOoJABBAYODAe4CzwwxAA0ARwD3A/////////////////////////////////////////38AwP8/AMAAQAAAAEAAABkAAAAAGQAAAAAZAAAA

Let me know if it still is invalid
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

slayer

Saw your post and played the map.

What a complete pain, but it's done.

Renamed to Starburst Slog, I'll replay it later to lower the ridiculously long time it took.

Slayer

PS: Apologies for finishing it before you, next time I'll wait for you to name the map you find.

slayer

BTW: shouldn't this thread be in DMD maps?

Grauniad

I decided it was just too tedious without totems, so I returned to the DMD, added Totems and finished it after leveling the entire map with Terps. It's under "Terper Delite" - I doubt I have the patience to finish the "slow" one... :)  but well done to you.

Quote from: slayer on December 31, 2013, 02:52:31 AM
BTW: shouldn't this thread be in DMD maps?

Fixed, thanks.

Grauniad

I'm interested what you did to beat it. My only approach would have been to pave a huge swathe of terrain, build a brick-house full of Berthas and some strafers and try and control the creeper and digitalis with that. But the lack of ore and totems makes it, as you named it, a slog. :)

teknotiss

i enjoyed the totem version, but i have no desire to play the totem free version  ;)
fun map, not as hard as it appears
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

slayer

Quote from: Grauniad on January 01, 2014, 10:23:58 AM
I'm interested what you did to beat it. My only approach would have been to pave a huge swathe of terrain, build a brick-house full of Berthas and some strafers and try and control the creeper and digitalis with that. But the lack of ore and totems makes it, as you named it, a slog. :)

I pursued this strategy exactly  ;D. I paved most of the terrain to a plain while keeping a high ridge to place berthas and push across the lower island. Cut an hour off my first posted time and can probably do much better. Future, more refined approaches would include terraforming in steps rather than flat expanses and most importantly, aiming the berthas judiciously to advance against the creeper.

Slayer

Grayzzur

Odd. I finished it and was also the first one. Then I took a look at your Starburst Slog map, and you must have changed something. The code for that map does not match what G posted above.

The originally posted map (I'm pretty sure) shall now be known as "Grauniad's Grind" :)
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Jerdog

I'm glad I did the one with totems.   :)
Even then I needed to go bertha crazy.

Grayzzur

Oh yeah. With no totems, I had 6 PZ berthas and about a dozen regular berthas firing at intervals to keep the runners from coming back and keep the creeper down to create a foothold on that top island. There is very little space up there. There's really no other way to clear out the runners and creeper, since that digitalis bubble extends way into the void. That residual creeper released into the void when the digitalis goes away is fun to deal with too.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Grauniad

Here's the next one I'm struggling with. I keep thinking that I might pull it off if I jsut juggle all the needed stuff around to nullify at least one of the runner nests... but no luck so far.

Maybe a sharper mind can find an approach?

Spoiler
BQDO6goOwDiEAdcrIzWEAEoAB1sBRgEalLIGCAh4ATi4ABAQ4ACAAFBhRFAQMEBwKmBB4OHvnCAFIAVAAUABACCO5BUFIUHWg7ok9V/+f8AIwAigSsBK4MRGx4sAgBBAoCaHAQC6gQrAEkAeAC7A/////////////////////////////////////////38AwP8/AMAAgAAAAEAAABkAAAAAGQAAAAAZAADAAwA=
[close]

Clean0nion

Quote from: Grauniad on January 04, 2014, 03:43:42 PM
Here's the next one I'm struggling with. I keep thinking that I might pull it off if I jsut juggle all the needed stuff around to nullify at least one of the runner nests... but no luck so far.

Maybe a sharper mind can find an approach?

Spoiler
BQDO6goOwDiEAdcrIzWEAEoAB1sBRgEalLIGCAh4ATi4ABAQ4ACAAFBhRFAQMEBwKmBB4OHvnCAFIAVAAUABACCO5BUFIUHWg7ok9V/+f8AIwAigSsBK4MRGx4sAgBBAoCaHAQC6gQrAEkAeAC7A/////////////////////////////////////////38AwP8/AMAAgAAAAEAAABkAAAAAGQAAAAAZAADAAwA=
[close]
Don't take too much offence; I joke!
Quote from: Grauniad on November 20, 2013, 07:19:49 PM
Stop. Repurposing. Threads. By . Changing. Subjects. I'm. Sure. It. Confuses. More. People. Than. Just. Me. You have.  My. Blessing. On. Being. A. Multiple. Thread. Starter.
[close]

Once again, the power of digitalis overwhelms me. I thought I was safe; I wasn't.

Grauniad

I thought I was still on difficult DMD maps I' finding/playing?

I haven't changed the title, either.

Wheatmidge

And on the topic of the map you are playing. If you play really aggressively you can nullify two of the runner dens before they have a chance to create runners. It also gives you two power zones to play with.

Grauniad

That specifically what I've been trying to do and not coming up with good placement. Feel free to claim it if you beat it. :)