Questions from prospective map moderators

Started by Grauniad, September 06, 2011, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

If you have any questions after you have read the topic Call for new map moderators  in Announcements, please ask them here. Only for members considering becoming map moderators. If you are an existing map moderator, you have a dedicated place to ask questions.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Michionlion

if i apply, do i have to look at every map uploaded?  because sometimes i'm not on for 24 hours or so. 
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

There is no need to look at every map.  We understand that may be a problem for most people. That is why we invite more people to be map moderators so that the load can be split across more people.

The only request is that you only vote on maps you have looked at. If we detect that you vote on all maps simply to increase your ranking, you may lose map moderator status.

Edit: Note that you do not actually have to beat it to vote, you just need to play/review it. You may even download it, open it in the map editor to inspect it and then make your decision.

Michionlion

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

A current map moderator has asked me to point out a few benefits of being a map moderator:

You get to play and test maps long/way before the others..
[and you] become a part of a great map approval team..

Strictly speaking, you also get to play a few maps that never see the light of day... Like MadMag's "easy" version of "Tower Attack."

lich98

I endorse being a map mod because it doesn't take long, and all you get to do is play maps before the rest of the community. How cool is that, you can play Eighttailedfox's ETF missions before they are available to the rest of the community. If this was helpful in joining mapmod please say so.

EDIT: if you have a question feel free to ask, we would be happy to answer all question about why Mapmod is fun.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Cavemaniac

Being a Map Mod really does add a whole new dimension to your Creeper World 2 experience.

I was a happy 'end-user', gleefully bashing the hell out of the daily code mission while impatiently waiting for someone to upload a new custom map.

As a Map Mod I get to play every new map, post a high score and leave a comment, before they hit the website.

I get to 'hang out' with a fantastic bunch of guy in the Map Mod and Map Makers communities and have passionate discussions/arguments with them.

The best part of being a Map Mod though, is seeing the work of new and emerging map makers and having the chance to encourage them. Also, there's the heady ego trip of being able to influence their work!

Another enjoyable aspect is seeing some of the truly terrible maps people post which never again see the light of day - some are simply not up-to-sctrach, some are deliberate attempts to cause mischief. Either way, as a Map Mod, I get to do my part, maintaining the standards of user posted custom CW2 maps.

So come join the fun.

You can do as much or as little as you want - and lets face it, you were going to spend a portion of today playing CW2 anyway, weren't you?!

;)

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

lich98

ego really cave do we have to have the discussion again. (mapmods only got to see this conversation join to day to find out more).

EDIT: you can add mapmod to your list of odd jobs, its a walk in the park. Minus the park and the walk. All mapmod is missing is you
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

DethbyIT

What kind of skill level are you looking for?
I've played a lot of games but am not in the 'Top Tier' of players - based on the scores I see.

Fisherck

Any skill level is fine; in fact, it is very helpfull. That way, maps can be looked at from the point of view of experts to the average player. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

DethbyIT

Quote from: Fisherck on November 12, 2011, 12:03:14 PM
Any skill level is fine; in fact, it is very helpfull. That way, maps can be looked at from the point of view of experts to the average player. :)

Thanks - PM on the way.

Shimizu

I'm actually curious about this since my daily after work routine is to clicky Creeper World and see what new stuff people have done.  I think I understand the approval process as described on the main "You could be a map mod" thread but I'm not sure what kind of feedback you are looking for?  For myself, I tend to have a short attention span so "score" and "clear time" are pretty irrelevant to me, which I guess is a good thing since I am one of those that likes to build things symmetrically and will destroy perfectly good buildings in order to make my base 'look nicer'.   That being said, I feel I could rate maps on a basis of 'aesthetics' and 'enjoyability' but I wouldn't be much good at gauging challenge level.  I guess my question is more or less, is this just an 'approve' 'disapprove' thing, based on a wide variety of criteria which will differ from person to person according to their perspective, or would you be judging on / having to rate specific criteria?
Meow?

2b3o4o

Quote from: Shimizu on February 22, 2012, 04:24:57 PM
I'm actually curious about this since my daily after work routine is to clicky Creeper World and see what new stuff people have done.  I think I understand the approval process as described on the main "You could be a map mod" thread but I'm not sure what kind of feedback you are looking for?  For myself, I tend to have a short attention span so "score" and "clear time" are pretty irrelevant to me, which I guess is a good thing since I am one of those that likes to build things symmetrically and will destroy perfectly good buildings in order to make my base 'look nicer'.   That being said, I feel I could rate maps on a basis of 'aesthetics' and 'enjoyability' but I wouldn't be much good at gauging challenge level.  I guess my question is more or less, is this just an 'approve' 'disapprove' thing, based on a wide variety of criteria which will differ from person to person according to their perspective, or would you be judging on / having to rate specific criteria?
Maps are approved based on whether or not they contain inappropriate content, there are some special cases though, but you by no means need to vote on every map.

Ekira84

Interested in becoming a map moderator... That's an understatement! It's so me  :D

This being my first day on the forum, and also my first post means I have a ways to go before applying at all, but I do have a couple of questions anyway  :P

Is there an age restriction on being a mod? (I'm 28 so it probably wouldn't apply but it might be prudent to set a restriction so under 16's, 18's don't bother applying at all. I can imagine that some of the people uploading maps can be quite offensive...  :-\)

Can a map moderator still upload their own custom maps?

Is their a required amount of maps per week that each mod has to view? If not, there should be, lol. It's never fun to carry a team, speaking from experience as a chatroom mod and a forum mod.

Finally.. In regards to the minimum of 50 posts needed before applying to be a map mod, do all posts count? For example, I'm more likely to post comments on others maps than get into forum conversations so will that count?

Cheers ears in advance   :-*

J

I've never heard of a age restriction so I don't think there is one. As mapmod you can still upload your own custom maps. You must vote on 1 map every 6 months. Just post some nice comments (the better your posts are the more likely you are to get in) and you may get in before you have 50 posts (I'm NOT saying you will get in since I can't dicide, and also, do NOT spam to get 50 posts but you can participate in some forum games).