Custom Map: Quagmire Quest 5: The CERN Concern

Started by AutoPost, October 03, 2011, 10:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Quagmire Quest 5: The CERN Concern

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
This rather hard puzzle map will require you to build CERN's Large Hadron Collider. You'll need this particle accelerator to be able to build the only super weapon capable of stopping the Creeper.

Many thanks to MadMag for creating the magnificent graphics!

UpperKEES

Title:
Quagmire Quest 5: The CERN Concern
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land
Remarks:
This rather hard puzzle map will require you to build CERN's Large Hadron Collider. You'll need this particle accelerator to be able to build the only super weapon capable of stopping the Creeper.

Many thanks to MadMag for creating the magnificent graphics!

Description:
The Creeper finally realized humans are a severe threat to its existence, so it decided to destroy our main research facility, because it brings us close to understanding the universe.... and the Creeper.

The CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research), located in the Swiss Alps, has built the LHC (Large Hadron Collider). With a length of 26.7 kilometer this particle accelerator is the largest machine in the world. A few facts:

- More than 10,000 tonnes of liquid nitrogen and helium are used to bring the temperature down to -271.3 degrees Celcius (1.9 K), making it colder than outer space.

- Trillions of protons race around the LHC accelerator in 2 directions, travelling at 99.9999991% of the speed of light.

- When 2 beams of protons collide, temperatures 100,000 times hotter than the heart of our Sun are generated.

The LHC experiments will hopefully answers questions like:
- What gives matter its mass?
- What is the invisible 96% of the universe made off?
- Why does nature prefer matter to antimatter?
- How did matter evolve from the first instants of the universe's existence?

Unfortunately the Creeper doesn't want us to use this useful research data against it and tries to prevent scientists from finishing the LHC.

The scientists in their turn have designed a super weapon, called Thor, but they need the LHC to be able to build it at the right moment. Can you help them out?

Please note this is a very hard puzzle map. When you can't figure it all out by yourself, have a look at the tips and hints in the map comments at the KnuckleCracker forums.

Also note that my other maps are easier and require more fighting. Good luck!

Download page:
Quagmire Quest 5: The CERN Concern

Full size screen shot:

More maps:
See here for all Nice Jobs, Hard Art and Quagmire Quests 8)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Additional information:

Besides my thanks to MadMag for the great graphics I am grateful to both hi and Kithros for beta testing this map! :)

The CERN Concern is a tribute to (in my opinion) one of the best maps ever made for CW1: The Temple of Moloch by Kapoios (probably the best CW1 player ever).

Spoiler
Although the solution required for The Temple of Moloch is different than for this one, there sure are many similarities, so I recommend reading the comments for that map if you're having trouble with this one (that's hint 1).
[close]

After already having finished this map the CERN appeared in the news last week. Apparently particles were found that seem to travel with a speed even faster than light! (Read more here.) Who knows what will be possible in the future?

To read more about the CERN and the Large Hadron Collider I recommend visiting their website: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html

Their Flash time line also provides very interesting data: http://lhc-milestones.web.cern.ch/LHC-Milestones/Flash/LHCMilestones-en.html

Please note this map is not about setting a fast time. Being able to finish it is all that matters, which should only take you about 4 minutes of your time.... once you've figured out the solution! 8)

Spoiler
Tedious practices like bridging or pausing every frame are not required. Like Kapoios' map you don't need to play frame-perfect or pixel-perfect. In fact you can almost play the entire map on double speed if you like, although you may have to pause a few times to take appropriate action. Counting packets also isn't necessary!
[close]

As usual I'll be giving a few more hints over the next days.

F0R

i built alot of relays all over the place and hoped for the best, sadly it didn't work out the way i wanted.

Kithros

Quote from: F0R on October 03, 2011, 07:11:04 PM
i built alot of relays all over the place and hoped for the best, sadly it didn't work out the way i wanted.
It wouldn't be much of a puzzle if it did..

UpperKEES

Quote from: F0R on October 03, 2011, 07:11:04 PM

It's a good start, but of course there's a little more to it. Did you try to build Thor?

F0R

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 04, 2011, 02:01:09 AM

It's a good start, but of course there's a little more to it. Did you try to build Thor?

yep but i was too late, didnt even get half way

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: F0R on October 04, 2011, 03:14:42 AM
Quote from: UpperKEES on October 04, 2011, 02:01:09 AM

I got within 10 packets... I'll try again.  ;)

UpperKEES

Quote from: F0R on October 04, 2011, 03:14:42 AM

Spoiler
You may wanna start building it as soon as possible, which is pretty early in the game.
[close]

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on October 04, 2011, 03:50:36 AM
I got within 10 packets... I'll try again.  ;)

Spoiler
Of course the 2 upgrades you pick will make a difference. If you play very tight their order doesn't matter, but picking the 'right' one first is definitely more convenient.
[close]

Spoiler
The real question is: when do you want to finish building Thor? Being a few packets 'late' could actually bring you very close to the solution....
[close]

snowmaker (JM)

UGH!!!! I built Thor too soon!!!! Oh well, I will try tomorrow night  :'(

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on October 05, 2011, 03:39:07 AM
UGH!!!! I built Thor too soon!!!! Oh well, I will try tomorrow night  :'(

Heheh! ;D Now you've reached the true problem of this puzzle....

After a chat with F0R about this map yesterday a general tip to others regarding applying upgrades:

Spoiler
Upgrades picked up also apply to units already being built!
[close]

And a tip regarding the pre-built units:

Spoiler
Yes, you really need that SAM, although the map doesn't feature any spores. (No bridging required however; you don't have to keep it in the air.)
[close]

F0R

UpperKEES

Nah, I just like using all game mechanics to the full extend, which makes you think a little more. Hence my love for puzzle maps, although I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Regarding building up your network (the LHC):

Spoiler
To be able to finish it in time and obtain the upgrades as soon as possible, you have to build something that you need to destroy later on.
[close]

UpperKEES

By now you will have noticed that you can't finish Thor before Odin City has to leave.

Spoiler
This means it can't return before the wall piece on its original location has decayed.
[close]

So what happens when you finish Thor just after Odin City took off?

Spoiler
Thor will automatically kill all Creeper in its vicinity, so the wall will never decay and Odin City will be stuck on the top left of the map forever. This means you will have to find a way to build Thor after the wall piece is gone....
[close]

UpperKEES

About the purpose of the SAM:

Spoiler
Try to use it as a switch, like this:

[close]