Custom Map: Bored To Death

Started by AutoPost, July 15, 2010, 02:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Sqaz on July 19, 2010, 11:26:43 AM
it's only a matter of seconds between you finishing and the time limit.

I actually finished after the time limit to extend the completion time. ;)

Quote from: Sqaz on July 19, 2010, 11:26:43 AM
And Kees his best hint was: Pauze a lot ;)

Yep, pausing is very important when you like to set a good time, especially when fighting simultaneously at multiple fronts (that goes for every map). It's also a good way to make a map even more boring than it already is. ;D
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Shroom Agent 27

Congratulations, you have earned my 1 star

UpperKEES

Thanks shroomdog! :)

I've PMed with a few people that still like to beat this map and I have decided to give just one hint: study this map thoroughly in the map editor, because you won't be able to beat it with 'normal' play, even when you use Thor.

Please don't post more hints once you've figured it out....

Fisherck

I admit defeat >:(, or at least for now. Only one other map I have played and decided to beat has been as hard as this. Nice Job 2: The Athlete. I do not have enough fingers and toes x2 to count how many times I attempted that map :o. At least with that map, though, it was considerably shorter. I could get mad at my computer, storm out of the room, yell a bit, then come back a couple hours later and try again :P. This map is different. My main problem though, is the lag. By the end of my attempt, every second in the game was worth more than 5 seconds. That would have meant 10+ hours before I would have finished :(. Not practical. I can and will beat this map, probally in a couple months. The reason I have so much lag is that I am playing on a laptop. Our main computer decided to die a ways back (before I got Creeper World), and all I have is my laptop and a computer with less processing power than my laptop. But by the end of the summer, I will have a brand new, high tech computer. Then I will be back.... ;D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

UpperKEES

10+ hours isn't very practical indeed. I would actually call it boring! ;D

If you are able to 'play' on a very small (or even tiny) screen, you could consider resizing your window, which will improve the game speed a lot (1 second becomes 1 second again ;)).

Vexsin

Decided to give this a shot just for laughs. Managed to escape the start area and move all the way to the right then all the way down, was at 33 collection, constant 32 spending, and teetering with a deficit. I could not push across the bottom to get that artifact no matter how many drones/blasters I used...

And did I overlooksomething at the bottom.... but there is no way to get out of the bottom without trying to build a relay right ontop of a emitter?

UpperKEES

Quote from: Vexsin on July 29, 2010, 01:41:12 PM
Decided to give this a shot just for laughs.

And, did you laugh? :P

Managed to escape the start area and move all the way to the right then all the way down, was at 33 collection, constant 32 spending, and teetering with a deficit. I could not push across the bottom to get that artifact no matter how many drones/blasters I used...

I received a screenshot yesterday from someone who managed to do the same thing. He was also at 32+ collection with a huge arsenal of drones, blasters and mortars. My respect for the both of you; I never thought people would be able to survive outside the crazonium walls! I don't think you can finish this map the conventional way however, because of the maximum output of Odin City.

And did I overlooksomething at the bottom.... but there is no way to get out of the bottom without trying to build a relay right ontop of a emitter?

If you say so.... ;)

Vexsin

Quote from: UpperKEES
And, did you laugh? :P

Yes because you actually made a map like this =)

Quote from: UpperKEES
If you say so.... ;)

I must have missed it then

UpperKEES

Quote from: Vexsin on July 30, 2010, 10:31:59 AM
I must have missed it then

Oh, I figured you did notice it (in the map editor). Study the (stacked) emitters closely.... ;)

Vexsin

Yeah.. I opened it up in the editor and saw what's up there, def not waiting around for that =)

UpperKEES

Quote from: Vexsin on July 30, 2010, 12:22:14 PM
Yeah.. I opened it up in the editor and saw what's up there, def not waiting around for that =)

Hmmm, then you probably don't like boring maps.... :P

6 people actually do, as they awarded this map with 5 stars. 16 players didn't and gave it just 1 star. This means 27% can appreciate being bored, so I guess there's a market for that! ;)

RichieRich

You know I think I will do it in the morning, and I kind of figure if I finish it I will have a time extremely close to yours for once.  ;)

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on August 11, 2010, 11:40:51 AM
You know I think I will do it in the morning

Better get up early! ;D

Quote from: RichieRich on August 11, 2010, 11:40:51 AM
I kind of figure if I finish it I will have a time extremely close to yours for once.  ;)

That would be very likely.... ;)

RichieRich

This was harder than I thought as I did not anticipate keeping OC alive in the crazonium to be as hard as it was. That took 3 goes.

Then, having got set up, I left it alone and forgot the time and missed the 13 second slot.

After that, just too bored with it to do it again. You win. Rating 1.  ;D

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on August 12, 2010, 09:07:51 AM
This was harder than I thought as I did not anticipate keeping OC alive in the crazonium to be as hard as it was. That took 3 goes.

Yeah, it's amazing how much creeper can be pushed through the tiny gaps in the crazonium wall. You can hold back the creeper without Thor though (I don't even build it), but you'll have to place your blasters carefully.

Then, having got set up, I left it alone and forgot the time and missed the 13 second slot.

Setting an alarm clock might help here.... ;) (And when you minimize the screen the playing time will elapse just as fast as the real time.)

After that, just too bored with it to do it again. You win. Rating 1.  ;D

Thanks! ;D

Edit:

Managed to escape the start area and move all the way to the right then all the way down, was at 33 collection, constant 32 spending, and teetering with a deficit.

Maybe nice to see how someone else (Brondahl) attempted to solve this map the same way:

This is obviously not the way to go.... ;) (Although the two of you definitely played very well. :))