Custom Map: Nice Job 9: The Explorer

Started by AutoPost, May 14, 2010, 02:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 9: The Explorer

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
Time to act fast! First defend your initial position before you will be able to advance. After that it will be tough, but pretty straight forward. I've tried to create a different look for this map; please let me know if you like it.

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 9: The Explorer
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Time to act fast! First defend your initial position before you will be able to advance. After that it will be tough, but pretty straight forward. I've tried to create a different look for this map; please let me know if you like it.
Description:

WOW! You've finally found it!

For many years you've been an explorer, searching in the dense forests of South America. This must be your lucky day!

You arrived at the outer walls of the ancient city you've studied for so long. Many treasures must be hidden here. And even more important: eternal fame!

Suddenly your hear a strange sibilant sound in the far distance. When you pay more attention, the sound seems to get closer every 15 seconds....

You quickly decide to take the two closest towers, before they take you. Damn! Why do you never get an easy job?
Download page:
Nice Job 9: The Explorer
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Vexsin

edit: never mind....

Spooky map... very spooky.

Took me a few tries to get an opening strat that worked

UpperKEES

Spoiler
Yeah, the start up is the hardest part of this map. You have to cap the 2 closest towers before they start emitting, or it will be very hard.
[close]

Spoiler
Note to others: rather weak emitters (like these) can be capped by placing a blaster on top of them. Just don't run into a deficit, or you will be punished....
[close]

Sqaz

This was actually the first long (I can't believe you managed to do this in 16 min) map, it has a nice theme, a carefully made terrain, and it stayed challenging untill the end.
However I didn't like the uncappable emitters in the small statues, you just have to build a lot of blasters to stop them and you won't even notice it in your energy.

UpperKEES

Nah, 16 minutes would indeed be unbelievable, so I did it in 18 and a half... ;)

Spoiler
The trick is again: first build all energy and only then engage the creeper. I think I was up to 8-9 units of energy per second before I started fighting.
[close]

Spoiler

If you place 2 blasters on each side of the small statues you kind of cap them. They only fire once per minute, so they're no severe threat. They're just a pain when you forget about them.... I don't build my collectors too close to them, so I don't lose my connections when something happens I didn't foresee. I like to advance over the walls anyway; nice & safe. :)
[close]

Sqaz

Only 8-9 energy?

Wow, then I overbuild a bit at the start, I built 11 and then while I was attacking the creeper I kept building reactors.
But I needed all that energy as I used 5 blasters to cap each statue.

UpperKEES

Spoiler
Yeah, but don't forget that you'll gain more energy from collectors as you advance; I always use 40 or 60 storage to handle peaks. Not sure if I should tell all my secrets, but I also build most speed nodes and blasters before I start fighting.... (See it as a gift for reading my comments. ;))
[close]

Spoiler
The bigger statues can be capped by 3 blasters (although they might need 2-3 shots, but their mouth is big enough ;D).
[close]

NNR_Alex

heh this was a challenge, it took me a few tries to get going as well, starting with one reactor right away helped.  i'm not sure i've ever lagged so bad before from the number of blasters i had to build, i didn't find the mortar or drone upgrades useful by the time i got them.  my score isn't pretty but at least i beat it.  Oh yeah and Mrs. Jones, your husband loves you, lol.

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on May 17, 2010, 11:26:48 PM
heh this was a challenge, it took me a few tries to get going as well, starting with one reactor right away helped.

Spoiler
Yeah, reactors are needed during the startup phase for sure. I start with about 4 collectors first however (as they're more cost effective and provide energy sooner). I build 1 reactor before I start my first blaster.
[close]

i'm not sure i've ever lagged so bad before from the number of blasters i had to build, i didn't find the mortar or drone upgrades useful by the time i got them.

That's exactly as intended. For some reason I love blaster battles, so I only provided them on this map to make finishing the map a little easier if needed. I don't use them myself at all.

my score isn't pretty but at least i beat it.

That's what counts. I rather finish a challenging map at spot #5 than being #1 on a map that I completed in less than 2 minutes without a serious fight.

Oh yeah and Mrs. Jones, your husband loves you, lol.

Heheh! I'm glad at least one person didn't forget about this poor lady.... ;)

DethbyIT

I gave up trying and read the comments - but still failing.
4 Collectors that run up the vertical walls near the towers.
Reactor.
Blaster @lower tower.
Blaster @upper tower.
4 more Collectors in courtyard .
Start second Reactor.
Connector to lower tower gets taken out at about 2:45 (by emitter in tower).
Toast.

Small hint would be appreciated (another great map!).

dbit

UpperKEES

Yep, this one has a tough start; you're not the first to have trouble with this one.

Spoiler

I would first study how much time you have until the bottom tower starts, so you know you should start building it's blaster about 30 seconds earlier (25 seconds to build it and a few more for the packets to arrive, including some ammo packets).
[close]

Spoiler
Use all the time before that to build collectors. First on the places where they provide most energy and later the ones on the walls. This really does matter! Every little block provides you with 0.004 energy per second, but this adds up enormously when playing for a long time or when you build them in an inefficient order during the start up of the game when energy is scarce. The growth is exponential so the initial seconds of the game are crucial.
[close]

Spoiler

If I remember correctly I fill most of the area between and on the walls with collectors and eve build my first reactor before I start with my first blaster (although I'm not sure if that reactor was already finished; it's months ago that I played this map).
[close]

Spoiler
Don't build your collectors too far southwards, because the creeper will get them. When you are able to survive the above you should add a third blaster that covers the gate to the east and the south so you can keep adding reactors.
[close]

Good luck! :)

DethbyIT

Hmmmm - I'm going to have to move this one to the "Try it when you get better" list.
:)

(Good thing there are so many other "NJ" maps to work on.)

"I'll be back."

DethbyIT

Still beating on this one (or it is beating on me).
Attaching images of how I am trying to start - just in case you're feeling generous with advice.
:)
dbit

UpperKEES

You're doing fine; I like the left screen. :) Some improvements:

Spoiler
- You can build 2 collectors on the walls to the left and right of the top blaster. Make sure you turn off the green packets so you don't charge the totem yet (an advantage I didn't have at that time).
[close]
Spoiler
- When you build your first reactor in the top left corner (above/next to OC) you'll be able to build a collector on that wall more efficiently.
[close]
Spoiler
- Build all collectors in that area before you start building reactors (if you already do so, please ignore this).
[close]
Spoiler
- Don't build collectors like you did on the right screen, it's a waste of energy when they overlap that much. Better build reactors instead.
[close]
Spoiler
- Build without a deficit: only one collector/reactor at the time until you gain enough energy to build 2 of them simultaneously and still keep your blasters powered.
[close]