Custom Map #542: Creeper Crazy

Started by AutoPost, December 05, 2011, 12:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #542: Creeper Crazy

Author: J

Desc:
The creeper is teleporting itself around! Good luck killing it!

eudrick

OK, OK, I GIVE.  What's the trick to making it across the 'river'?
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

davidp

Here's what I did:
Spoiler

I put lots of launchers to the left and blasters in the middle.  That knocked down the river to a fairly slow trickle.  I put a rift near the right side of the opening.  Got all the packet speed upgrades.  I then dug one square out across the river and put a rift there.  A packet would get across the 'river' every now and then.  (Makers that were full of creeper could be dumped in the river too, but the gap wouldn't last long.) 

After the rift was built just the other side of the river, I moved some blasters over and worked my way up.  It took me forever though.
[close]

eudrick

I guess I was on the right track then, just didn't have the patience ;)  

EDIT:  Patience H**L!!!  NO Pulse required.  :D But that's just me.  Now that I know how, I certainly will try to improve my time.  Great Map J.
Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love, Robert A. Heinlein

Zaggy

Fun and interesting; good map!  Kinda sloggy at the end, but still fun.

J

What I did:
Spoiler
I started shooting with launchers and blasters until there wasn't much creeper left. I built shields and then I put 30M AC in there, and built new shields in the river to block moving creeper. Then I took out all emitters until there was only creeper around the capsule.
[close]
Saving the capsule:
Spoiler
Built a few blasters, some shields on the left side of the river, many launchers and a repulsor, opened the first ring and killed it, once there is AC inside the ring you could move blasters in.
Second ring:
Spoiler
same as first, but when the creeper moves out the firsts one block it, and make 4000M AC with it
[close]
[close]

DethbyIT

I loaded up with as many Launchers and Blasters as would fit, but am still failing at clearing the "River".
Would one of you who have made it comment on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
dbit

J

You could have much more energy. pic made after 4:20
Try to complete the first half as fast as possible --> less creeper in river
Managed to kill all creeper (lower part) in 8:20, opened the river in 9:12

At 14:12 (your pic) every square in 'my' river had 0-200K creeper (second pic)

DethbyIT

J - thanks.
The 'speed' thing occurred to me after I posted and I have restarted. That river does get thick with Creeper right quick.

Follow up post with results (if good) later.
dbit

DethbyIT

11 hours later...success (kind of).
It would have helped some if I had remembered what the actual 'goal' of the game was. LOL!

I will come back and make another run at this - but will rest up first.

Thanks for an entertaining day.
dbit

Katra

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 06, 2011, 08:27:15 AM
I loaded up with as many Launchers and Blasters as would fit, but am still failing at clearing the "River".
Would one of you who have made it comment on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
dbit

Keep the repulsor beams out of the river. The creeper will (at least mostly) stay in the river unless you hit it with a repulsor.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

J

Quote from: DethbyIT on December 06, 2011, 07:38:18 PM
It would have helped some if I had remembered what the actual 'goal' of the game was. LOL!
I know there are 2 rooms in top half that you don't have to attack (you may think but that's totally wrong). They'll add creeper to the last ring of creeper (around the capsule). You have to clear all creeper on the map before you can get the capsule easily. (you should also nullify the gateway because the drone carries 200M in that egg)

How could Freja ever do this in 24 minutes?

DethbyIT

I managed to finish, but made two gi-normous mistakes.
Despite my taking over an hour to complete, this was a lot of fun and will get another play out of me.

As for unbelievable times...yes they are.
;)

J

Found another unbelievable time for this map, probably the worst score ever.

DethbyIT

Quote from: J on December 08, 2011, 11:22:40 AM
Found another unbelievable time for this map, probably the worst score ever.

LOL!
You mean you never forgot and left a game running?