Custom Map #1343: Your Pal Greeper

Started by AutoPost, August 11, 2012, 10:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1343: Your Pal Greeper

Author: Mister_Andy

Desc:
This is a concept map I made ages ago, the idea being that you can not beat it using energy weapons, as most maps require. It's not a quick map, but it's good for those of you who want something different. :3

Mister_Andy

If you thumbs-down it, please leave a comment so I know what to improve!

(The obvious reasons I can see for it are that it isn't simple and usual, and that you aren't immediately presented with a billion ore/energy/tech.

If I get thumbs down for being creative, or for not making an easy map, then good.)

Shanglion

I thumbs down because, I can't see any way to win. It's one thing to have a difficult map and, another to have one only you can solve.  If you've made a specific way to win. make a holocube and leave a message with a hint on it. I tried and tried to get to that converter but, there was just more and more creeper. and, I couldn't build anymore than I already have.

teknotiss

hey shang, this map is quite do-able, but you need to think outside the box.
if you build about 24 makers and fully charge them (plus max out the range tech to give you larger storage of ac in the makers). then, since fields hold the creeper in place, you can cluster and burst all the makers at once around one of the Cbomb techs, and then grab the tech, only costs 1 energy so you shouldn't need to build shields across to it.
then delete all makers you have left, if any, and delete all ore mines. build some thing like this

then use the cbombs to convert and build shields over the AC lines this will let you nullify the flank emitters, then build loads of Cbombs and take out the pool.
hope this helps  8)

edit changed image host
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

JmfR

Nice one little bit out of the original train of thought but once over that hump its down hill

chwooly

Having to think to get the CB was interesting but having to just grind out cb's and shield to get rid of the other generators was tedious
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Mister_Andy

Now that it's been out a bit, here's how I beat it generally.

Spoiler
Build enough fully-range'd makers to fill one of the twisty side-channels, and empty them all at once. Then use a shield to hold off creeper from coming in that side's L-shaped channel long enough to grab conversion bombs. Then build around 10 conversion bombs to convert most of the lake at the bottom, and use shields in the bottom corners to keep blocking any new creeper from teleporting. Now, just neutralize the outer emitters in the bottom group, conversion bomb that area, and neutralize the inner emitters. Piece of cake, and the only slow part is the beginning.
[close]

In the future, I'll see about adding phantoms to make the slow parts a little more interesting, making you dig a little less in the beginning, and giving ore right off the bat would help you to get the makers up and running faster, and make it clearer how to beat the map.

I'll see about making another map along similar lines, with those updates.

I just don't tend to appreciate maps as much when everything is just handed to you.

clbuttic

Holy cow, destroying those inner emitters was tedious. Fun, though.

My suggestion: Add some height above map, move the ship to the top, and add some areas that require a focus on energy weapons - this will require a change of strategy, and by the time one gets to the area in this map, most of the research (and tedium) will have been done.

Also, crystals! I maxed out outbound energy packet rate slowing down the creeper to protect my nullifier while trying to get to those inner emitters. Then again, my timing of C-Bombs could have been better.

Bongo

My only gripe is that I had to look at the map in the editor to figure out where all the Creeper was warping to and from. After that it was easy.

Creeper Warps:
Spoiler

Warp 1: middle bottom pool to outside bottoms of the 'L'(s)
Warp 2: top of 'L'(s) to bottom right/left corners.
Warp 3: The top Emitters warp 3 times upwards, the last time (against the wall) the Creeper is dumped to lower outer legs of the 'L'(s).
[close]

I beat it without making a single Maker or Ore Rig:
Spoiler

The left side containment fields are defective. One can use Repulsors to push the Creeper out of the 'L' and into the inside. You can push so much Creeper out that just 6 Launchers and 4 Blasters can get through the top of the 'L'. Also it often causes the inside to 'flip' to Anti-Creeper which makes it simple to get the Conversion Bomb. To save even more time, while it's flipped to Anti-Creeper (or gone by Blasters) you can put Shields up to keep the Creeper from warping to the bottom corners AND also cause it to 'flip' when it piles up against the Shields.
[close]

I hate making 100 Makers and sitting around waiting for them to charge up. ;)

Mister_Andy

Hah! The repulsor strategy is clever. XD

Bongo

AH HA!!!

This map is PROOF that the Repulsor exploit changed. From my own mouth I have proof that it did work before, and now it does not work (I just tried).

The only question is; Did it change for everyone?; Or just people like me who have the version with embedded Adobe AIR?